Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-13-02, 02:59 PM   #49
Cheshiremackat
Crush K8

Default yes

yes I am using the integrated sound on the nforce chipset and the i810 audio driver. I am just having troube getting the sound to work on startup... anyideas...?
Cheshiremackat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-02, 05:15 AM   #50
kurdy

Default Think you've done everthing right???

If you think you've done everything right and your X Server crashes with the famous <Could not initialize NVkernel -- aborting -->

Check your BIOS setting.

I changed the following:

PNP OS Installed --> DISABLE
Assign IRQ to PCI VGA --> ENABLE (Strange because I use AGP VGA)

after saving this my X Server startet an accelaration is mine.

I first used the NVdriver without AGP, for testing (because I have an ALi AGP set) i turned on AGP adding this line to the "device1" Section in XF86Config-4:

Option "NvAgp" "1" (to use the more stable NV AGP Interface)

restarting X,

checking the /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/agpstatus

and voila, AGP 4x (no fastwrites because not supported by chipset and no sideband adressing (SBA) because not supported by graphics card)

i used Unreal Tournament 2003 demo to check performance and was quite amazed. slightly faster than XP and rock stable.

Thanks for all your help, i hope I also can help somebody frustrated.

cu

-------------------------------------------------------
Athlon XP 1500+
ECS K7AMA (ALi 1647 NB / ALi 1535D+ SB)
512 MB DDR RAM
PixelView Geforce 2 Ti
kurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-02, 09:42 PM   #51
Fudgious

All the information in this thread is fantastic, except it hasn't touched on my problem yet.

My hardware is outlined in my signature. I have just installed Mandrake 8.2, and downloaded the NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm, and NVIDIA_GLX.1.0-3123.i386.rpm (I'll d'load the GLX src if I can get the kernel installed).

Now, the problem occurs when I try to rebuild the kernel src for my architecture (which I assume is i686. I tried using the kernel-mdk82up.i586.rpm, but had the "Xlib: extension missing "GLX" error).

In the terminal, and as root, I make my way to the directory where the files were downloaded and type:

rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm

but basically all I get in return are errors:

Installing NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm
Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.68747
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/RPM/BUILD
+ cd /usr/src/RPM/BUILD
+ rm -rf NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123
+ /bin/gzip -dc /usr/src/RPM/SOURCES/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.tar.gz
+ tar -xf -
+ STATUS=0
+ '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'
+ cd NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123
+ exit 0
Executing(%build): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.68747
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/RPM/BUILD
+ cd NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123
+ set +e
++ rpm -q --queryformat '%{VERSION}' rpm
+ RPMVERSION=4.0.3
++ echo 4.0.3
++ awk -F . '{print $1;}'
+ RPMMAJOR=4
++ echo 4.0.3
++ awk -F . '{print $2;}'
+ RPMMINOR=0
++ echo 4.0.3
++ awk -F . '{print $3;}'
+ RPMPATCH=3
+ '[' 4 -le 3 -a 0 -le 0 -a 3 -lt 4 ']'
+ make NVdriver
echo \#define NV_COMPILER \"`cc -v 2>&1 | tail -1`\" > nv_compiler.h
cc -c -Wall -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wparentheses -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual -Wno-multichar -O -MD -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -DNTRM -D_GNU_SOURCE -DRM_HEAPMGR -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DNV_MAJOR_VERSION=1 -DNV_MINOR_VERSION=0 -DNV_PATCHLEVEL=3123 -DNV_UNIX -DNV_LINUX -DNVCPU_X86 -I. -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wno-cast-qual nv.c
In file included from /usr/include/linux/module.h:296,
from nv-linux.h:28,
from nv.c:14:
/usr/include/linux/version.h:2:2: #error "================================================= ======"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:3:2: #error "You should not include /usr/include/{linux,asm}/ header"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:4:2: #error "files directly for the compilation of kernel modules."
/usr/include/linux/version.h:5:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:6:2: #error "glibc now uses kernel header files from a well-defined"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:7:2: #error "working kernel version (as recommended by Linus Torvalds)"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:8:2: #error "These files are glibc internal and may not match the"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:9:2: #error "currently running kernel. They should only be"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:10:2: #error "included via other system header files - user space"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:11:2: #error "programs should not directly include <linux/*.h> or"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:12:2: #error "<asm/*.h> as well."
/usr/include/linux/version.h:13:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:14:2: #error "To build kernel modules please do the following:"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:15:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:16:2: #error " o Have the kernel sources installed"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:17:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:18:2: #error " o Make sure that the symbolic link"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:19:2: #error " /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build exists and points to"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:20:2: #error " the matching kernel source directory"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:21:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:22:2: #error " o Now copy /boot/vmlinuz.version.h to"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:23:2: #error " /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include/linux/version.h"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:24:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:25:2: #error " o When compiling, make sure to use the following"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:26:2: #error " compiler option to use the correct include files:"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:27:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:28:2: #error " -I/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:29:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:30:2: #error " instead of"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:31:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:32:2: #error " -I/usr/include/linux"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:33:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:34:2: #error " Please adjust the Makefile accordingly."
/usr/include/linux/version.h:35:2: #error "================================================= ======"
In file included from nv-linux.h:29, from nv.c:1

I'm now at a loss as to what to do. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old 11-15-02, 10:26 PM   #52
Fudgious

Default Fixed

I managed to fix the above problem by installing the kernel source from Mandrake 8.2's third installation CD.

Since I did a lot of stuffing about, I'm going to d'load the GLX src to my data partition, and re-install Mandrake. (I always feel better starting from a clean installation).

If it wasn't for the great info in this thread, I'd still be bashing my head against a brick wall (I've tried about 6 different distros just to get to the point of having my nvidia drivers installed - and that's not even to see if they work yet!)
Old 11-23-02, 02:52 AM   #53
rich0067

Well... I've read this through ... Quite abit... And Im goin to Windows XP... Whys it so hard to install drivers? I have absolutly no idea about what all this stuff is... I've managed to realise i need two files and downloaded the correct ones ... Thats about it!!! All i want to do is install my geforce 4 go on Mandrake 8.2... Whats all this with compiling own drivers and what not? Argh! Im truley scared off, If anyone has some last minute Ideas please say (Im truley a newbie to Linux in the strictist sense ... It took me a few hours to install it!) If i can get the workin then I would like to keep linux... If not... Im holding this windows CD in one hand...
Old 11-30-02, 03:56 AM   #54
Cheshiremackat
Crush K8

Default Fixed it

Hey everyone... well after scratching my head and asking everyone here, I found the source of my problem...it was actually quite dumb... my RPM installation of nforce drivers must have misconfigured because my modules.conf file had the line
alias sound-slot-1 i810_audio (or somesuch)
apparently the line needs to read sound-slot-0 (zero) no biggie but it kept my sound from working... so if anyone has RH and Asus A7N 266Vm and cannot get the sound to work right check this...

and for Rich above me... honestly man ... it isn;t that hard... in the end it was kind of fun actually... it isn't that hard if you use the RPM's (flame away) and the editing is minor... and it gets you comfortable with the terminology and fucntions of the system... its almost like a tutorial... HOWEVER if you are not up to it then install windoze and play away... try installing Win first and then add a Linux partition... that way you are certain to have a working system if you cannot get Linux to work... if you get Linux to work then you will feel pretty good... I do...

_CMK
Cheshiremackat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-02, 04:02 PM   #55
Sniper3dr

Send a message via ICQ to Sniper3dr

Howdy;

I have follwed the short tutorial that Rob C has written up, and when I use the "nv_check.sh" I get past all the steps untill the last one:

"Now I'm going to see if your kernel module is loaded correctly. . .
The NVdriver kernel modeule does not seem to be loaded. The 3D drivers will not work without it....please compile it for yourkernel, set it up to insert the module on boot, then run this script again"

Can someone PLEASE tell me HOW to do this? Fix this?

How the crap do i recompile NVdriver in redhat?

I would show you my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, but I don't know how to show it to yall when all I have is the command line.

I'm running redhat 7.3, with a eVGA GF4 MX44

Thank you!
Old 12-05-02, 01:38 AM   #56
Sniper3dr

Ok , I type X in console under VMware and all I get is a big fuzzy screen.

Anybody done this under VMware? What's your XF86Config-4 file look like?

Old 12-05-02, 04:31 AM   #57
Sniper3dr

It's WORKING now...

I got redhat 7.3 to work...

yay for me
Old 12-19-02, 12:59 AM   #58
adulaisow

Unhappy how to run the NVchooser.sh? (First time user)

I there. Can u help me? I'm trying to run the Nvchooser to see the correct files to download, but i don't know how to do it. If anyone can help me, please contact me on adulaisow@yahoo.co.uk, or post a message. Thanks for your help.

Mandrake 9 and Windows XP Pro
AMD athlon XP 1800+
Asus A7V333 Raid
256 MB Corsair XMS2700
Geforce 4 TI 4600
adulaisow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-02, 02:51 PM   #59
GreyOne

Greetings.

I have recently installed Red Hat 7.3 and today I noticied that OpenGL games were extremelly slow. After researching a bit, I found that I didnt have the NVidia drivers installed.

After running NVchooser, I downloaded NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2314.src.rpm. I followed the tutorial and I did rpm -ivh NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2314.src.rpm. It shows 1:NVIDIA_kernel ##### 100%, but when I try to install the GLX RPM (NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2313.i386.rpm) it says that NVIDIA_kernel isn't installed.

Any suggestions?

Btw, adulaisow, to run NVchooser, just go to where you downloaded it and type sh NVchooser.sh

Thank you in advance,
Pedro Nunes
GreyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-02, 06:57 PM   #60
Andy Mecham
l33t master

1.0-2313 is a *very* old version - you should install 1.0-3123 or 1.0-4191. They're available from www.nvidia.com.

--andy