Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-24-03, 03:43 PM   #13
a_j_j

Ah, right. Since I'm using Slackware 8.1, which has Gnome 1.something, and since I'm behind a dialup link and therefore don't have a whole lifetime to download Gnome 2, I've improvised a solution which appears to work...

Since I'm only running X on display :0, in /etc/opt/gnome/gdm/PostSession, I copied the Default script to :0 and added the following lines to the end:

# Force X server restart
if [ -f /tmp/.X0-lock ]; then
kill $(cat /tmp/.X0-lock)
fi

This seems to have done the trick, despite being a hideous kludgy hack.

Thanks very much to elanthis for the hints. Hopefully this could solve the issue for everyone else as well.
a_j_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-03, 03:45 PM   #14
elanthis
Always Annoyed

Default gdm1

I'm fairly sure GDM1 had the option; a search thru the docs might bring up what it is (if GDM even has docs... ~,^ )

Otherwise, a post to gnome-list@gnome.org might return some useful answers.
Old 01-24-03, 06:46 PM   #15
a_j_j

Well, gdm does have some HTML man pages squirrelled away somewhere in /opt/gnome/share and they don't mention the option at all. I added it to the gdm.conf file anyway before trying anything else, but it seemed not to do anything.

For reference, I think my gdm is version 2.2.1 (going by the Slackware package info)
a_j_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-03, 08:40 AM   #16
berto81

yeah, X never crashed on my machine before I disabled kdm. I would try to do as you suggested with kdm.
So, how to setup kdm to restart xserver every logout?
I edited /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc, but haven't found an option that sounds to help.
Any idea?
I use latest kde version.

p.s.: concluding, it's a problem of nvidia driver or of XFree?
berto81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-03, 09:27 AM   #17
berto81

/etc/X11/xdm/TakeConsole
I added a_j_j script lines and it works.
Thanks!
Old 01-26-03, 01:04 AM   #18
lcarey

Did I miss something or has no one come up with a real solution? The horizontal line X crashes occur for me (RedHat 8.0, k2.4.18-7.80, nvidia driver 1.0.4191, Quadro2 Pro) perhaps once a month on one of 4 identical computers. I'm not sure if its video playing related, as i'm not always the one using the computer when X goes down. Changing to init 3 is not an option, as these are lab computers. I've very happy with the 3d acceleration of the nvidia drivers, both for tuxracer and for real work, however this crashing thing is really annoying. Its certainly window-manager nonspecific, as it happens for people using kde, enlightenment, and fvwm2. The machines use gdm as the login manager, and its does a pretty good job of restarting itself, but you still loose all your work and open windows. Is there a way to get any crash information that would help debug this problem? It appears to be fairly common, and really the only black spot on an otherwise great driver.
-Lucas
lcarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-03, 11:09 AM   #19
berto81

yes, those are just workarounds...

the real solution can only be provided by nvidia on next version of drivers. I hope they won't ignore this problem, after they saw so much people experienced it.

I will try to not restart xserver every logout, and make a copy of xfree log after the crash (and before the x restart!), modifying some scripts. maybe we will get information for debugging.
suggestions?
Old 01-26-03, 04:57 PM   #20
lcarey

There's always the -core option on Xserver, but the guy a couple posts back reported no luck with that. I imagine that the /var/log/XFree86.0.log would have something usefull in it if you turn of [gxk]dm so that it doesn't get overwritten. I can't do that unfortunately. I've been having this crash problem for several revisions now, so i'm not hedging my bets as to a fix.
Can you make it crash consistently? I can't, though its seems like playing videos and logging out of gnome or kde are more likely to make in crash than, say, opening up a couple of xterms.
-Lucas

Old 01-27-03, 08:10 AM   #21
berto81

This is the ending part of my XFree86.0.log after a crash:

(II) Loading extension NV-GLX
(II) [GLX]: Initializing GLX extension
(II) Open APM successful
(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1280x1024"
GetModeLine - scrn: 0 clock: 135000
GetModeLine - hdsp: 1280 hbeg: 1296 hend: 1440 httl: 1688
vdsp: 1024 vbeg: 1025 vend: 1028 vttl: 1066 flags: 5

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting

Really useful... :-(
I found nothing of strange in the rest of file, only some warnings about unsopported modes (shouldn't care...).

In XFree86.9.log I found a "warning" output:

(WW) NVIDIA(0): Failed to verify AGP usage

but looking in /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status, it seems agp is working.

Driver: AGPGART
AGP Rate: 4x
Fast Writes: Disabled
SBA: Disabled

I attached the logs.
Attached Files
File Type: txt logs.txt (38.9 KB, 107 views)
Old 01-27-03, 11:07 AM   #22
lcarey

SIGSEGV (11) usually leaves a useful core dump. It might help to look at that if debugging symbols were compiled into the xserver. Thats something someone at nvidia should look into. I have no idea (nor do I care) how to begin to debug an xserver. I've got the agp warning as well, and 16 of the GetModeLine entry pairs at the bottom of my log for a working xserver--been up a couple of days now. It's a bit of a shame that noone from nvidia has responded to any of this. We don't pay for the drivers, but we pay loads of money for the graphics card. I get better support from gpl software.
-Lucas
Old 01-31-03, 09:59 PM   #23
Argh!

I use KDM (KDE 3.1 RC6), and after looking around on the net, I found that adding
Code:
TerminateServer=true
to my /opt/kde/share/config/kdm/kdmrc file under the
Code:
[X-*-Core]
section forces a X server restart after logout. The effect appears to be the same as adding
Code:
killall X
to TakeConsole. The one difference I noticed is that with automatic login turned on, KDM logs me right back in with the TakeConsole approach, while if I use the kdmrc approach, KDM stays at the login screen.
Argh! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-03, 05:59 PM   #24
Ryo-Ohki
Fanatic Cabbit

Well, I just got xine installed. It works great with DVDs and misc. video formats (the binary codecs help of course), BUT... the X server restart issue came out of nowhere after two days of normal operation. I think it has to do with the fact I rebooted my box inbetween.

The problem is now 100% consistent. Log off current session, log in again as root or my regular user account, start xine... BAM, server crash. Once X has restarted, I can log in again and use xine normally though, it won't crash anymore.

Switching to runlevel 3 (text mode) for system start-up and lauching X manually circumvent the issue. Back to runlevel 4 I used the kdm autorestart trick above, looks like things are going well for now...

The system is 100% stable otherwise, wether in games (TuxRacer, UT & UT2003) or anything... To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement!

Tsunami
Intel P!!!-S Tualatin 1266MHz | ASUS TUSL2-C i815EP | 512MB PC-133 | Antec True Power 380W
MSI GeForce 4 Ti4200 @ 250/515 | Creative SoundBlaster Live! | D-Link DFE-528TX 10/100
2 x Seagate Baraccuda IV 60GB ATA-100 7200 RPM HDDs | Pioneer DVD-117 16x/40x DVD-ROM
Windows 2000 Server SP2
DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0881) - nVidia Detonator 43.45 - 3DMark2001 : 8433

Windows 98SE
DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0881) - nVidia Detonator 30.82 (WHQL) - 3DMark2001 :

Slackware Linux 8.1
nVidia Linux IA32 Driver 1.0-4191
Ryo-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote