Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-12-06, 05:08 PM   #1
redmatrix

Default Driver support for Xgl...

I'm trying Xgl for a few days and noticed that there's no hw acceleration for compiz.
There are plannings for a driver release that support this new beautiful piece of software???

Regards Dario.
redmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-06, 07:02 PM   #2
wintersommer

Default Re: Driver support for Xgl...

Hello,

i dont know why Xgl is not working with me, but if its the missing:
GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing

then i request it -) i know nvidia cant support any pre alpha software, but the neat effects run on ati cards :-{

i got the black windows problem
wintersommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-06, 07:51 PM   #3
redmatrix

On gentoo.org forum you will find more info about "how to run" Xgl (section "unsupported software").
I read somewhere that "texture_from_pixmap" extension was developed by nvidia engineers (?) and David Raveman, so, if it's true, we will read soon about a Xgl-compatible driver version...

Please, please, answer my question!

Dario
redmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-06, 01:50 AM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

@redmatrix,

What leads you to believe that compiz is not using hardware acceleration? Note that indirect rendering does not necessarily mean that the application is rendering in software. Xgl forwards rendering commands to the accelerated OpenGL implementation.

@wintersommer,

GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is a proposed extension that has not been finalized yet. NVIDIA is working with David Reveman (the author of Xgl) and the rest of the X.org community to work out the details of this extension, and NVIDIA plans to add support for it to a future driver release. Note, however, that an NVIDIA implementation of GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is only required to run compiz outside of Xgl. You should be able to run compiz from within Xgl today.

I hope that clarifies things somewhat!

-- Aaron
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-06, 03:57 AM   #5
baeksu

Hello. Many nvidia users (myself including) have been having problems with black windows when running glxcompmgr or compiz (as described in the Gentoo howto here). Compiz (or glxcompmgr) spits out lines of errors like:

compiz: pixmap 0x200043 can't be bound to texture
compiz: Couldn't bind redirected window 0x40001a to texture

This problem seems most prevalent with GeForce users (mine is a GeForce4 440 Go 64M), and some of us are convinced that this is because these cards lack pixel shading.

I'd like to ask if you are aware of this particular problem, and if the next version of nvidia drivers will fix it.

Or if there some technical reasons why these cards won't work with xgl, I guess I'll have to start looking to buy a new laptop...
baeksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-06, 04:43 AM   #6
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by baeksu
Compiz (or glxcompmgr) spits out lines of errors like:

compiz: pixmap 0x200043 can't be bound to texture
compiz: Couldn't bind redirected window 0x40001a to texture
If you run glxinfo, do you see GL_ARB_texture_rectangle or GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two listed in the "OpenGL extensions" section? I haven't tracked down the details but I think compiz requires at least one of these.
Old 02-13-06, 04:51 AM   #7
baeksu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
If you run glxinfo, do you see GL_ARB_texture_rectangle or GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two listed in the "OpenGL extensions" section? I haven't tracked down the details but I think compiz requires at least one of these.
GL_ARB_texture_rectangle shows up in the OpenGL extensions when running just the X server.

Neither of the extensions show up with Xgl server.

[edit: added glxinfo-x.txt for x.org and glxinfo-xgl for xgl]
Attached Files
File Type: txt glxinfo-x.txt (5.5 KB, 201 views)
File Type: txt glxinfo-xgl.txt (2.7 KB, 198 views)

Last edited by baeksu; 02-13-06 at 04:53 AM. Reason: added glxinfo
Old 02-13-06, 04:57 AM   #8
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
GL_ARB_texture_rectangle shows up in the OpenGL extensions when running just the X server.

Neither of the extensions show up with Xgl server.
From my reading of the source code, it looks like Xgl will report that it can't bind a drawable to a texture when a) it's a window, b) allocating a Glitz surface for it fails, or c) allocating a Glitz texture object for it fails. I'd ask on xorg@lists.freedesktop.org and hopefully David Reveman will respond with a detailed list of what's required for Xgl's implementation of GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap to work.

Old 02-13-06, 05:01 AM   #9
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
[edit: added glxinfo-x.txt for x.org and glxinfo-xgl for xgl]
It looks like you used NVIDIA's libGL inside Xgl when running glxinfo. You need to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point at Mesa's libGL.
Old 02-13-06, 05:57 AM   #10
baeksu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
It looks like you used NVIDIA's libGL inside Xgl when running glxinfo. You need to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point at Mesa's libGL.
Ok, I didn't know that...

glxinfo with the correct LD_LIBRARY_PATH shows GL_ARB_texture_rectangle in OpenGL extensions (though no GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two in either xgl or x.org).

Thank you for your answers. I'll see if the freedesktop mailing lists can clarify the situation for us few unlucky ones (though I'm guessing David Reveman is quite busy these days).
Old 02-13-06, 10:57 AM   #11
deezid86

First,
I bought a new NVIDIA card. A Geforce6600GT with 256MB which runs Xgl very smooth and Xvideo is real fast

But I got a few issues:
- rendering really slows down if my cpu is used - (Is the software-implementation of "GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap" the problem? Will it be faster in such situations with hardware-acceleration?)
- XV-Problems: No Zooming (artifacts)
- no verticalsync: I got tearing everywhere, even with xv, that's real annoying (is there an option to set up verticalsync for the whole xserver?)
- I can't use my old Geforce2MX400 with Xgl in another PC (but I know why)

regards Dennis
deezid86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-06, 11:22 AM   #12
wintersommer

I want to thank AaronP, from Nvidia for answering in this Thread, and even getting info from xorg/xgl.

Xgl ist pretty pre_alpha and that we get info/answers for this stuff is very nice. Considering it will go into NLD 10(Novell) - it would be nice if it stabilise until then.

!! Props to nvidia for this !!

As for an request on forums.gentoo.org , i post some stuff someone found out, perhaps someone can comment.

----------8<-----------------

A recap of what we know about the black windows problem:

This problem was already raised in the xorg mailing list[1], but with no solution.

To expand a bit on that message, here's the snippet of code that is run by compiz:

From compiz/src/texture.c +218
Code:
case GLX_TEXTURE_2D_EXT:
texture->target = GL_TEXTURE_2D;
texture->matrix.xx = 1.0f / width;
texture->matrix.yy = -1.0f / height;
texture->matrix.y0 = 1.0f;
break;
case GLX_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_EXT:
texture->target = GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB;
texture->matrix.xx = 1.0f;
texture->matrix.yy = -1.0f;
texture->matrix.y0 = height;
break;
case GLX_NO_TEXTURE_EXT:
fprintf (stderr, "%s: pixmap 0x%x can't be bound to texture\n", programName, (int) pixmap);

The error messages showed when compiz is run indicate that GLX_NO_TEXTURE_EXT is returned by queryDrawable (which is just a call to glXQueryDrawable).

I tried to make the code ignore the queryDrawable value and force the code path through either of the cases, but still I got black windows.

From reading issue 4 of the proposed GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap extension[2] and noting that GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two is not present in glxinfo, but GL_ARB_texture_rectangle is, then I conclude that the second case is the one that applies to my card (Geforce4 MX).

Maybe this code path is less tested and those coordinates are wrong? I tried to read the GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB spec[3] but couldn't understand any of it

So, the problems are:

* This happens in old nvidia cards
* glXQueryDrawable returns GLX_NO_TEXTURE_EXT when it shouldn't
* using GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB should work, but doesn't.

Could anybody post some of this info on the nVidia Linux forum thread[4]? I tried to register but I couldn't because of the email restrictions they impose.

---------------- 8<-------------------

thx (btw. i own an GF4MX , same black window problem)
wintersommer is offline   Reply With Quote