Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-13-06, 12:59 PM   #1
kcary

Default nVidia Corporation: Unknown devive 00f9

Going off of my last post I've been trying to figure out why I can't get X to load with GLX enabled. The only thing I can see is that I have the following in my XFree86.log and in my lspci list:

05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown devide 00f9 (rev a2)

I do not have this issue with my older cards, just the 6800 and later. What can I do to fix this issue as it might lead to a solution with my other problems?

I am running a 6800 GT on Redhat 9. My previous post came to the conclusion that the problem was unknown.
kcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-06, 01:52 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: nVidia Corporation: Unknown devive 00f9

lspci's detection of your card is completely unrelated to nvidia driver functionality. If you're having problems, please generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-06, 01:57 PM   #3
kcary

I have already done that in my other post. You came to the conclusion that you couldn't figure out what was going wrong. In my digging the only thing that seems odd is this unknown chipset, which your driver should have fixed in the first place. I have posted all the nvidia bug reports in the old post if you really want to review them. That thread is located here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64534

The only thing I am beginning to think of is that the kernel doesn't support PCI-Express or something, but I'm using 2.4.20-6smp.

This is a REALLY big problem for my company and quickly coming to a head.
Old 02-13-06, 02:03 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

lspci output is obtained from /usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids. The nvidia driver has its own internal mechanism of identifying your videocard.

However, if you're using that Redhat 9 kernel, then I'm quite certain that it has no understanding of PCI-Express. Generally speaking, you cannot reliably use modern hardware on an out-dated Linux distribution and expect all the components to be correctly recognized.

If this is a big problem for your company, I'd suggest installing a more recent, supported Linux distribution such as SLES9, RHEL3 or RHEL4.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-06, 02:30 PM   #5
kcary

Well I have fixed my problem by upgrading kernels. I am now using the 2.4.27 kernel and have no more issues with my card, while still using Redhat 9.

I am very dissapointed that your only suggestion was to upgrade distibutions. There are a lot more avenues including this one that should be explored first. Even this presented new problems such as scsi controller and ethernet controller issues as well, but is much easier upgrade for over 200 systems than an entirely new distribution. Now our installers only have to run a simple script to install the now precompiled kernel and install a video card as opposed to everything that is required for setting up a distribution.