Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-13-06, 03:19 PM   #1
Son Goku

Default DNS prob perhaps?

When I try to access NVN from my own ISP, I get "The servers have been taken offline" error messages, and a front page to the site that was updated on Friday to announce the servers would be migrated...

When I accessed it from school, or at home using a proxy service, no such prob? Anyone else noticing this? And if this is the case, how long does it usually take for these DNS services to update their own IP address cache, typically?
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-06, 04:41 PM   #2
MikeC
Administrator

Default Re: DNS prob perhaps?

It's probably related to a DNS server. In the meantime, add the following entry to the hosts file on your PC and you will get to the new server:

70.87.46.147 www.nvnews.net
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-06, 04:55 PM   #3
Son Goku

OK, thx Adding...

BTW, I might open a trouble ticket with my ISP, and give them the correct DNS info. Not sure what will come of it though.

Edit: an nslookup gives

Quote:
D:\Documents and Settings\goku.PEGASUS>nslookup www.nvnews.net
Server: dns.dfw1.speakeasy.net
Address: 64.81.127.2

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.nvnews.net
Address: 70.87.46.147

D:\Documents and Settings\goku.PEGASUS>
which matches. I wonder if the url for the forum is somehow going to the old address, not the top level... I'm sending something off to their support dept on this. Tis weird, especially, when using the same PC I can get to the new forum server using a proxy... If it was software related on my end, I wouldn't be able to do that, and yet if it was the site, no one would. Definitely the ISP here...

Last edited by Son Goku; 02-13-06 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-13-06, 09:33 PM   #4
rewt
mmm, Beer.. :drooling:

If your ISP won't help, look into Treewalk DNS. It is a freeware prog for Windows that can help solve your DNS issues.

Quote:
You need TreeWalk DNS if:

1. Your ISP's DNS servers are slow or offline
2. Accurately resolving web sites is a problem
3. You wish to capture or debug DNS routing data
4. You want to custom configure DNS settings and servers
5. You'd simply like faster repeat visits to sites via cached lookups
6. You have poor DNS with your wireless or satellite Internet connection
7. You use Internet Connection Sharing and want to improve surfing speeds
Athlon64 Venice 3000+ @ 2.6GHz (4100+) · Win XP Pro x86, Vista Ultimate x64 · eVGA K8-NF41 nForce4 SLi · Corsair XMS 1.5GB PC3200 CAS2/1T · eVGA 2x 6600GT SLi · Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe · Western Digital Caviar SE ½TB RAID 0/1 · PowerLink LPK2-30 400W · LiteON LDW-411S OC to 811S 8x DVD±R/RW/ROM · MicroAdvantage 64MB QuickiDrive · Samsung SyncMaster 931B 19" LCD · Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse USB · Sony PSXtoUSB Analog Gamepads · Memorex MX2700 Multimedia Keyboard · Lexmark 3200 Color Jetprinter · nForce Network Controller 1Gb/s LAN (Cable ~3Mb/s down) · ΩPioneer Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
rewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-06, 12:19 AM   #5
Son Goku

Thx, the ISP checked it on another connection and nothing. Figured, OK, it might be fixed now, but same thing...

So, I tried disabling and re-enabling the network connection, and nothing. Logged out (albeit did not reboot winXP), and also power cycled the switch, now it connects... Go figure... Only thing I can guess, is that the old IP address was being cached somewhere for the forums, but not the main page. Bleh... I really was left with the impression the forums were still down all weekend, and something happened till I logged in at school...

Ironic however, if it was something being cached locally, that it didn't crop up when going through JAP, (Java Anonymous Proxy). Oh well, it's back now...