Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-21-03, 07:56 PM   #1
The Analog Kid

Send a message via ICQ to The Analog Kid Send a message via AIM to The Analog Kid
Default Kernel Woes

I compiled 2.4.20 for learning purposes, everything goes well during boot up, except when I am in X and I login in, it gets to MagicDev or whatever its called and freezes. I used the configuration file that was used for compiling 2.4.18-9.8.0 or whatever it is.
Old 01-22-03, 09:16 AM   #2
jnd3
Sword Saint

Send a message via AIM to jnd3 Send a message via Yahoo to jnd3

Did you compile and install all the modules as well (make modules; make modules-install or something like that)? X is probably trying to load a module, can't find it, and gets lost in the weeds. If you're using an NV card, you'll have to reinstall the NV drivers under the new kernel as well. All kernel modules are stored in a kernel-specific directory.

Cheers,
JND
jnd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-03, 11:50 AM   #3
The Analog Kid

Send a message via ICQ to The Analog Kid Send a message via AIM to The Analog Kid

Yes I compiled the modules. Since it is magic dev there must be a problem with either the floppy or the cdrom of which i have 2 a DVD and CD-RW, listed under /dev/cdrom /dev/cdrom1 respectively. I'll post a copy of my kernel config when i get home. I know that disabling MagicDev will solve the problem but I shouldn't have to.

Last edited by The Analog Kid; 01-22-03 at 11:57 AM.
The Analog Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-03, 06:59 PM   #4
The Analog Kid

OK, I did a recompiling again with some modifications, now the system hangs on Red Hat Network.

Update: Ok I did another compiling because each time I find that I have stuff check yes that I don't need, and its back to MagicDev. Do I need to enable scsi support even if I don't have any scsi drives? Is that what is causing it.

Last edited by The Analog Kid; 01-23-03 at 11:50 AM.
The Analog Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-03, 05:17 PM   #5
The Analog Kid

I now tried removing MagicDev like they say and now I only can get to yet again The Red Hat Nework_Icon.
Old 01-23-03, 05:36 PM   #6
jnd3
Sword Saint

Send a message via AIM to jnd3 Send a message via Yahoo to jnd3

Hmmm, the SCSI thing might be an issue. I know with mine it appends "hdc=ide-scsi" to the kernel boot parameters for my CDRW drive. I'd at least build the SCSI stuff as modules. That way it won't bloat up the kernel, but it'll load if it needs it. I think MagicDev is like the Windows auto-insert/auto-mount...but I'd have to check on that to be sure.

Cheers,
JND
jnd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-03, 05:17 PM   #7
The Analog Kid

OK I enabled scsi, same result. I also enabled IPv6 if that could be the problem.