Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-22-05, 08:02 PM   #1
Mith192
Some Where On Cloud Nine

Send a message via AIM to Mith192
Default I May go Linux

I might stop useing windows and get Linux.

Why you might ask would a Windows fanboy switch to Linux?
Because I am tired of Windows forcing me to upgrade when a new version comes out(like Vista) i mean i will be upgrading any ways but i dont want to be upgrading on the whim of an OS.

The thing is I dont know where to start.

What version of Linux 64bit(needs to be free if it can) should I get

What do I need to get to run games (UT2004, FarCry, FEAR, Doom3, COD2, Starwars Battlefront 2 and so on) on Linux 64bit.

What do i need to run windows apps(needed becuase of NetZero software)

Also what kind of performance can i expect on Linux compaired to windows
2 80GB Seagate Harddrives
AMD Opteron 165
Mith192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-05, 09:56 PM   #2
whig
550Ti

Default Re: I May go Linux

You can google those questions. Linux still has upgrades it's just they are cheaper, smaller and more frequent. For a beginner I suggest a live CD. It will give you a taste for a minimum of learning. For some distros there is plenty of learning while others strive to be simple and easy (ie they make the decisions).

As for games I'm pleased you have a nVidia card. The UTs/Dooms/Quakes will play native on it. The adventurous try windows emulation with cegeda. Ymmv.

Performance wise games might go just a tad slower. Nothing to worry about. Desktop apps go faster because windows is a memory hog and keeps on swapping.

64 and 32 bit apps can coexist on linux. And in different ways btw. I suggest you dual boot windows/linux for a while. Good luck.
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-05, 12:01 AM   #3
nukem

Quote:
Originally Posted by whig
Linux still has upgrades it's just they are cheaper, smaller and more frequent.
Every OS, infact every peice of software has upgrades, an OS has many more upgrades then anything else. What you have to remember though is when you do an update in Linux you are not only updating the OS but every app you have installed. Linux is a free OS unless you pay for mandrake or Linspire which only gives you support and maybe a few extra configuration apps to make life easier.

If you want to just try out Linux burn a copy of knoppix and see how you like it. Dont try to play games on it because the nvidia drivers do not come with it(its kina like a vesa driver in windows but much better). There you can play around with Linux and see how you like it. The distro you choose really depends on how much you want to learn about Linux and how technical you already are. I prefer gentoo but this is a technical distro that requires you to have knowledge of Linux(or be willing to learn). fedora or mandrake would probably be the best for someone starting out. Remember while making the transistion you can have Linux, Win, and any other OS you want installed at the same time.

As for games there are many native Linux games such as UT2k4, Quake 4, Doom3, etc for the games that arent you can pay for cedega which provides support and they tend to add features and supported games faster(look here) or you can use the free wine
nukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-05, 02:20 PM   #4
Mith192
Some Where On Cloud Nine

I didnt mean software upgrades i was refering to what the recomended vista hardware will be and realised i didnt like windows that much
AMD Opteron 165
Old 12-23-05, 03:32 PM   #5
Q

I recommend using VMWare to get your feet wet. This way you can try countless distros to see which one suits you best. Ubuntu and Suse are good for newbs. Plus, you can do all your gaming right next to your virtual machine. Best of all, though, is the fact that you don't need to go off partitioning your drive a million times and deal with dual booting. Trust me, if you care about gaming at all you are going to want to boot Windows in some capacity making a dual boot a necessity if you are going to run Windows.

Sorry for not actually answering any of your questions.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-05, 04:49 PM   #6
a12ctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith192
I might stop useing windows and get Linux.

Why you might ask would a Windows fanboy switch to Linux?
Because I am tired of Windows forcing me to upgrade when a new version comes out(like Vista) i mean i will be upgrading any ways but i dont want to be upgrading on the whim of an OS.

The thing is I dont know where to start.

What version of Linux 64bit(needs to be free if it can) should I get

What do I need to get to run games (UT2004, FarCry, FEAR, Doom3, COD2, Starwars Battlefront 2 and so on) on Linux 64bit.

What do i need to run windows apps(needed becuase of NetZero software)

Also what kind of performance can i expect on Linux compaired to windows
Good idea....

Ubuntu, based on debain and great hardware support (ive been using debain sense 2001, and now ubuntu, its a great distro...)
UT04, Doom3 will run nativly just check iD's site and get the little installer, for the rest youll probobly need cedega... Get wine for Netzero... Gaming should be easy with cedega (i still have 4.4.3 so no GUI) It should go well...
Old 12-23-05, 05:29 PM   #7
Mith192
Some Where On Cloud Nine

ok i have orderd my ubuntu disk

So Wine dosent work well for gaming?

Also is OpenOffice the best or is there a better office like program

As far as netzero goes it looks like they released a Linux version
AMD Opteron 165
Old 12-24-05, 10:55 PM   #8
gnutux
Linux User: 362616

if you are using ADSL (NetZero), I really recommend you use SuSE instead because they have a really really easy ADSL configurator. Plus, it's free and open source . It's also built for 64-bit computers too and of course 32-bit...

http://www.opensuse.org

O, and Debian isn't really good for gaming. I had really bad experiences with Ubuntu/Kubuntu and any Debian based distribution.

OpenOffice is, IMO the best office system you can get and WINE by itself doesn't have disc protection decoders and it doesn't have a good enough DirectX implementation. Note that not all games work on Cedega. Most M$ made games will NOT work.

gnutux
gnutux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-05, 11:38 PM   #9
nukem

Ive never configed ADSL but it should work in any distro, anyway isnt netzero dail-up? Current releases of wine have support for DirectX 9 and their support is getting better but, as others have said transgaming makes sure many games do work including copy protection(which many games have, the only way around with wine is a nocd crack).
nukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-05, 09:55 AM   #10
gnutux
Linux User: 362616

well, NetZero is both dial-up and ADSL. SuSE has great configurator, thanks to YaST2

gnutux
gnutux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-05, 12:01 PM   #11
neo86

Tell us when you decide to come back to Windows. :-D
neo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-05, 12:05 PM   #12
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

You should never switch to Linux just because you don't like Windows.

And it forces you to update on a constant basis, too. It might be less painless, but still.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote