Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-19-06, 10:37 PM   #13
seeker
AKA seekermeister

Default Re: Linux Games

I was having some problems with init 3, but I finally got past that and executed the command to install the driver. First it produced an error message that it could not connect to nvidia, but when I hit the enter key, it proceeded to produce a warning"

"Your Linux kernel has known problems in it's implementation of the change_page_attr () kernel" It continued with a message recommending to 2.6.11 or newer. And said that if I wanted that it would try to work around the problem, but that it might cause system instability.

I bailed out, and came back here to see what you could tell me. I do not want to upgrade the kernel, and I do not want to mess up the system. How likely is it that installing the driver will foul things up? Is there any alternative, except to not install the driver at all?
Rig 1: HAF 922, X2 4400+, Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe , 4x1GB DDR400, 2x500GB, 1x80GB & 1x250GB + ESATCASE2 w/2x1TB HDs, LG CH10LS20 & GH22LS50, Samsung SH-S202N, Asus Xonar D2X,Creative 5.1, GTX460 SC, FusionHDTV7 Gold RT, Acer X233H, Arris TM520G, Cisco E3000, Scythe Kama, CM RS600 PS,HP 5510v,APC BX1000, XP x64, W7 & Kubuntu 9.10

Rig 2: Antec SX1040BII, A8N-SLI, 2x1GB DDR400, 8800GTS, 1x500GB & 1x1TB HDs, Liteon LH-20AIL and Pioneer DVR-111, Audigy 2 ZS, Creative T20 2.1, Antec 500SP, W7 x64 & XP MCE
seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-06, 10:43 PM   #14
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The change_page_attr bug is a kernel bug, not an nvidia driver bug. Please see the NVIDIA README for more information on this bug.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 02:28 AM   #15
seeker
AKA seekermeister

Okay, when I get back into Linux, I'll check it out. How about the first message about it not being able to contact Nvidia? Is the 9+mb download that I have the driver, or is there something else that needs to be downloaded?
Rig 1: HAF 922, X2 4400+, Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe , 4x1GB DDR400, 2x500GB, 1x80GB & 1x250GB + ESATCASE2 w/2x1TB HDs, LG CH10LS20 & GH22LS50, Samsung SH-S202N, Asus Xonar D2X,Creative 5.1, GTX460 SC, FusionHDTV7 Gold RT, Acer X233H, Arris TM520G, Cisco E3000, Scythe Kama, CM RS600 PS,HP 5510v,APC BX1000, XP x64, W7 & Kubuntu 9.10

Rig 2: Antec SX1040BII, A8N-SLI, 2x1GB DDR400, 8800GTS, 1x500GB & 1x1TB HDs, Liteon LH-20AIL and Pioneer DVR-111, Audigy 2 ZS, Creative T20 2.1, Antec 500SP, W7 x64 & XP MCE
Old 02-20-06, 07:42 PM   #16
mwdowns

Not to take anything away from netllama's help, but there are some SUSE specific forums that are pretty good at answering your questions (when they pertain to SUSE). Check out

www.suseforums.net
www.suselinuxsupport.de

They are both very helpful and (this is probably the most important) very understanding towards linux newbies.

Also, just to ask...have you updated your kernel using YOU?
mwdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 08:07 PM   #17
seeker
AKA seekermeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdowns
Not to take anything away from netllama's help, but there are some SUSE specific forums that are pretty good at answering your questions (when they pertain to SUSE). Check out

www.suseforums.net
www.suselinuxsupport.de

They are both very helpful and (this is probably the most important) very understanding towards linux newbies.

Also, just to ask...have you updated your kernel using YOU?
Thanks for the links, but I have used those forums before, and not found them too helpful. Yet, I may do so again. I used YOU to update everything except the kernel, because the last time I did this, it borked up Grub and I couldn't boot to either XP or SuSe. I'm waiting til I have the confidence to be able to handle repairing that situation. It probably was my own lack of understanding, but the SuSe repair rescue was of no help.

Old 02-20-06, 09:17 PM   #18
mwdowns

Granted, I am using 10.0 now (and used 9.1 and 9.3 before), so my experience with 9.2 is nil. However, I think there shouldn't be too much of a difference. Then again, I am also relatively new to Linux...been using it for just over a year.

Do you know which kernel is being offered now during the update. I have updated my kernel without a problem with grub and without too much of a problem with anything else (messes up ati and nvidia drivers, but all you have to do is reinstall...takes about 2 minutes).

When you updated and messed up grub last time, what option did you choose when you used the SUSE disk to repair GRUB? There should be an option (after choosing installation from the first screen) called "other" (the other options are "new installation" and "update an existing system" or something like that). If you choose "other," you should be given a choice to "boot installed system" or "repair installed system". If you choose "repair installed system" then you should see an option called "install new boot loader". Run this, and it should fix GRUB.

Either way, I would suggest giving the forums another try (personally I prefer suseforums.net...just an opinion). Be sure to try and give as much info as you can about your problem. You'll get more indepth help than I can offer!
Old 02-20-06, 11:23 PM   #19
seeker
AKA seekermeister

My memory is such, that I can't give specific steps that I took in the repair section, but I tried everything that I could find. I do recall the option about repairing Grub though, and it did not help. Actually, I had a similar problem with LILO, I can't recall which was which, but when I tried booting to one system I got a black half filled with 99s, and with the other, a black screen with L04 at the top. After checking around, I found that these referred to LILO boot issues. The only reason that I tried Grub, was assurances from friends that Grub would handle this on it's own, but that turned out to be wrong. The same friends tried to help resolve the problem, but we got nowhere. That is why that I'm now trying to make a Grub Boot Floppy, but so far, that hasn't worked, even though I followed an instruction sheet to the letter. However, even if it had worked, at the moment, I'm not really sure how to use it.

Old 02-21-06, 12:32 AM   #20
mwdowns

Hmmm. Yeah, that seems to be a bigger problem than I think I can help with. Sorry.

I'd suggest, though, if you don't mind taking the time and have your stuff backed up, downloading and installing the OSS version of SUSE 10.0 (not the betas for 10.1, as they're still pretty buggy). I've been running SUSE 10.0 since it's release with very few problems. There are a couple of good guides posted in the above mentioned forum's "tips and tricks" sections to help getting it set up just right.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Old 02-21-06, 01:37 AM   #21
seeker
AKA seekermeister

It's always a help to be able to talk about a problem, whether it results in a solution or not. I already have a copy of SuSe 10.0, which I tried to install, but it went very badly. This may have been due to something with my hardware configuration, I'm not really sure. I tried to install it on a secondary IDE drive of a pair that was jumped to use cable select, but with the BIOS set to choose it as the boot drive. All that I got after installing, was a screen fill of errors and it couldn't get to desktop. I have been planning on installing it on another partition of the same drive that 9.2 is on, but have been stalling, because I wanted to make any mistakes on 9.2 first. Also, I want to keep both versions installed, but I'm not yet sure about editing Grub, so that all OSs will work properly.

Old 03-01-06, 10:02 PM   #22
NightsPaladin

Seeker,

The fetchnvidia.sh script you saw in YaST is supposed to be the script that fetches, and installs the Official NVIDIA Drivers for you from SuSE. I had some issues with it as well, and had to manually install them from the Nvidia website. For me, this was an easy task, but it is a little involved. Forgive me if I'm making assumptions that you're still pretty new to Linux, and you have more experience than I give you credit for.

I'll do my best to explain from memory. With the latest NVIDIA drivers some of the steps are easier.

1) First, download the NVIDIA drivers from the website. It'll be the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-<ver>.run file. Remember where you save it (most likely /home/<your user>/). You may need to have the Kernel Headers/Source installed, though I'm not really sure.

1) You need to logout of your Window Manager (KDE/GNOME), and get back to the main login screen so you don't have a session started, it isn't required, but it insures that you aren't running anything that you don't want to lose info from.

2) Press Ctrl+Alt+F6 to get to a console screen, it'll be asking for a login, you need to login as "root", so do so.

3) Once logged in, you need to type "init 3" to shutdown X completely, otherwise the NVIDIA drivers won't install.

4) CD to the directory/folder you saved the .run file in (cd /home/<your user>/), and run "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-<ver>.run". It'll go through a process of asking questions, etc, based on whether it can find and install a pre-compiled module, or has to compile it's own (why you'd need the kernel headers/source installed). Once finished, it should ask if you want it to configure X for you, I recommend doing so, as it eases the final steps for getting it setup.

5) Once it's finishes completely and exits, you can type "init 4" to start X back up (I believe it's init 4, but it may be init 5, most distro's setup runlevel 5 for X, and 4 is unused, but I think SuSE actually uses 4 for X, and 5 is unused). When it starts back up, you should see the NVIDIA logo on a white screen, and then it'll bring you to the system login prompt, or right to the desktop, depending on how it's setup. Open a console, and try running "glxgears" and "glxinfo" and check to make sure it's using the NVIDIA drivers GLX, and such. If it is, then your set to go.

I recommend greatly that you should upgrade from SuSE 9.2 to at least 9.3, if not 10.0. I also re-read your latter posts, and noticed you're having issues with LILO, though I've not ever had any real issues with it, and I don't know anything about the error you speak of, I tend to like GRUB better. It allows for upgrading the kernel without the need to do any major changes, other than adding a menu entry for the new kernel.

In dealing with the SuSE rescue setup, I actually liked it, and it was helpful, but it's been months since I've used SuSE, so I don't recall how it worked specifically, on top of the fact that system setup's differ greatly from one system to another.

If you could give more info on your system setup, such as where SuSE is installed (ie. if you have more than one HD, which HD), etc, I may be able to help.

NP
NightsPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-06, 09:33 AM   #23
seeker
AKA seekermeister

NightsPaladin,,

Your assumption about my experience is just about right, but it wouldn't matter if it wasn't, because I never take offense to someone trying to help. I scanned over your post, and it appears to indicate the procedure that I have used to date, however I have put it on hold until I know how to deal with the updating of the kernel. Currently, I am using Grub. LiLo was in the past tense. Your statement about adding a menu entry for the kernel, caught my eye. I'm uncertain now, what I did or did not do. Are you referring to the grub/menu.st? Can you give me any specifics on how this is done? I can remember doing alot of editing with the help of a friend, but that help came after the fact, and it did not cure the problem. I have four HDs. as you will see in my signature. XP is on the first SATA partition...E:, and SuSe is on the First partition of the first IDE...J:.

EDIT: I spoke a bit hastily, the XP on the SATAs is corrupt, and I have an archive on the second partition of the second IDE drive D:

Perhaps it would just be better to paste etc/fstab:
Code:
/dev/hdc3                 /                          reiserfs    acl,user_xattr        1 1
/dev/hdd1                /windows/D            vfat        users,gid=users,umask=0002,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/sdb1                /windows/E             ntfs        ro,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0
/dev/hdc2                 swap                    swap       pri=42                0 0
devpts                    /dev/pts                 devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
proc                       /proc                     proc        defaults              0 0
usbfs                      /proc/bus/usb          usbfs        noauto                0 0
sysfs                      /sys                       sysfs        noauto                0 0
/dev/cdrecorder      /media/cdrecorder    subfs        fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/dvdrecorder    /media/dvdrecorder   subfs       fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/fd0               /media/floppy           subfs       fs=floppyfss,procuid,nodev,nosuid,sync 0 0
/dev/hdc1             /windows/C             ntfs         ro,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0
Between some failed installations, and the differences in the way that SuSe and XP designates drives and partitions, I tend to get a bit confused. You can ignore the VFAT and NTSF installations on hdd1 and sdb1.

Last edited by seeker; 03-02-06 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-02-06, 04:06 PM   #24
NightsPaladin

Seeker,

Yes, I was referring to the /boot/grub/menu.lst. Usually, if you upgrade the kernel via a package from SuSE (or any other for that matter) it automatically adds an entry into that file for you.

If you're compiling your own from scratch, it would require you to edit that file by hand. Usually you can just look for the entry that you use with the current Kernel, copy and paste that code, and edit it, accordingly. Of course there's always the possibility that your current kernel would be replaced by the compiled kernel, and therefore, require you to just edit that entry.

Can you post your current /boot/grub/menu.lst file, and whether you're trying to upgrade via a package from SuSE, or compile from scratch? (If you stated this earlier in your post, then let me know, and I'll re-read.)

Thanks,
NP
NightsPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote