julathlon

Default Re: Unable to install and get sound of 1.0-8178

again could not see modprobe.d/sound
julathlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 01:40 PM   #27
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The bug report that you attached is an nvidia-bug-report.log for the nvidia X driver, not the nforce-bug-report.log.

However, in that bug report, I can still see that the ALSA sound modules are loaded, so your system is still not configured correctly.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-06, 06:10 AM   #28
julathlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
The bug report that you attached is an nvidia-bug-report.log for the nvidia X driver, not the nforce-bug-report.log.

However, in that bug report, I can still see that the ALSA sound modules are loaded, so your system is still not configured correctly.

Thanks,
Lonni
Indeed the ALSA sound modules are loaded by default. I edited /etc/init.d/alsasound such that this script is left without performing any action, and rebooted my machine. I attached a file (nvi.kern.txt) with
-1 Everything in /var/log/messages dealing with sound, immediately after rebooting
-2 the output of lsmod | grep nv
-3 If this interests you at all: the /etc/init.d/alsasound-script after having been edited by me to be skipped immediately.

These modifications have not had effect: trying to play files with xmms (like cd to dir with *.ogg-files, then xmms *) only showed a panel with a moving clock. One way to get sound from my speakers is by giving the command cat /dev/dsp (nast sound + nasty characters like Dvfa<ۥ!U8j0kP'qR~PmK=n*n*;k:и J}qlAu.X?h-Cy

That's all I could obtain so far. (At least _some_ sound, but nothing to invite friends for ;-)
Regards,
Attached Files
File Type: zip nforce-bug-report.log.zip (17.1 KB, 103 views)
File Type: txt nvi.kern.txt (1.4 KB, 110 views)
Old 02-28-06, 01:39 PM   #29
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Did you reboot after making the changes?

Can you try adding the following three lines to /etc/modprobe.conf.local:

alias snd-card-0 nvsound
alias snd-intel8x0 off
alias i810_audio off
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-06, 06:12 PM   #30
julathlon

Quote:

alias snd-card-0 nvsound
alias snd-intel8x0 off
alias i810_audio off
These lines already are included in my /etc/modprobe.d/sound. Do you think it still would make sens to include them in /etc/modprobe.conf? My system is SuSE 9.3, and in suse the modprobe.conf doesn't contain much more than aliases and options (like
alias block-major-23 mcd
alias block-major-24 sonycd535
install char-major-81-0 /bin/true)
I'd think it only would double the lines in /sound.
Old 02-28-06, 06:14 PM   #31
julathlon

Quote:

alias snd-card-0 nvsound
alias snd-intel8x0 off
alias i810_audio off
Forgot to say: yes I did reboot.
Old 03-01-06, 04:28 AM   #32
julathlon

Might be usefull to summarize the state of my machine, as it is now. Machine: Asus A8N-E with AMD64-3000 + 1Gb memory (1024640 bts).
Drivers installed:NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310-pkg1.run and also NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8178-pkg2.run (although I doubt whether this has any use to get sound from my speakers ).
When I tried to insert nvsound.ko I was happy to see the error-message that the file already existed.
Moving to a directory with 15 .ogg files (amb18.ogg cfx11.ogg gong10.ogg metbrk.ogg rhino.ogg bang10.ogg chineseprc09.ogg gun****.ogg plopp.ogg wall01.ogg cfx01.ogg foot3.ogg inh2o.ogg r_exp3.ogg woodbrk.ogg) and giving the command " xmms * "
the xmms-panal appears (X Multimedia system). I put the volume knob on 70%. Two extra buttons I pushed: EQ (equalizer, all buttons moved above the middle) A clock gives the seconds a file "plays". That's handy to know, as I can't hear it ;-)). The play list shows the names of the files played. E.g. 1 amb18, 2 bang10, 3 cfx01, 4 cfx11, and the other names of the filelist.
I will attach three files: /etc/modprobe.d/sound , /etc/modprobe.conf, and /etc/modprobe.conf.local.
I added the lines you asked to /etc/modprobe.conf.local. I will first send this message, and then I'll reboot to check if it made any difference. (Do not dare to take the risk of not trying an advice you gave to me ;-)
So I'll be back in a couple of minutes.
PS The three files are copied to 1 text file, with first a line with the filename (e.g. /etc/modprobe.d/sound). followed by the contents of that file, then the following filename (starting with /etc) with its contents, and then once again. All together in etc-files.txt.
Attached Files
File Type: txt etc-files.txt (13.3 KB, 109 views)

Old 03-01-06, 06:22 AM   #33
julathlon

Rebooted after adding the lines you proposed to /etc/modprobe.conf.local. Cannot see any difference: not in the behaveour of xmms (or cat name.ogg > /dev/dsp), nor in the output of lsmod. Regarding the last: during a run of my machine with the lines you suggested added to modprobe.conf.local I ran a lsmod, sorted the lines of the output and stored this. Then I removed the suggested lines, rebooted, and did the lsmod-thing again. The output was identical (running cmp on the two files showed no difference!)
That's all I can answer to your question/suggestion.
Old 03-01-06, 12:45 PM   #34
julathlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by julathlon
Rebooted after adding the lines you proposed to /etc/modprobe.conf.local. Cannot see any difference: not in the behaveour of xmms (or cat name.ogg > /dev/dsp), nor in the output of lsmod. Regarding the last: during a run of my machine with the lines you suggested added to modprobe.conf.local I ran a lsmod, sorted the lines of the output and stored this. Then I removed the suggested lines, rebooted, and did the lsmod-thing again. The output was identical (running cmp on the two files showed no difference!)
That's all I can answer to your question/suggestion.
Forgot one thing I still can answer: could my lsmod be of interest to you? Attached it.
(Name is lsmodp.txt)
Attached Files
File Type: txt lsmodp.txt (2.9 KB, 121 views)
Old 03-01-06, 03:32 PM   #35
aslnetusa

Hi all,

I have Mandriva 2006 running on Asus A8N-CSM with A64-X2 (2Ghz/512k) chip and 2048Mb memory. The kernel is 2.6.12-12mdk (no SMP) which was not supported by 0310/8178, so it compiled whatever it needed to and completed install successfully. Now graphic runs fine, except in KDE sometimes X maxes out the CPU with a huge VM size, so I'm staying in Gnome for now. Network runs fine.

Sound shows nvaudio (OSS) as the installed driver, but neither KDE nor Gnome has sound. The error is /dev/dsp cannot be found. It is probably something simple but Im too geek-challenged to figure it out. Any help would be much appreciated. Here is my modprobe.conf - seems to me some type of conflict....

Code:
alias eth0 eth1394
alias sound-slot-0 nvaudio
install scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe sata_nv; /bin/true
remove snd-hda-intel /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel
install snd-hda-intel /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-hda-intel
install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe ohci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd; /bin/true
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
alias eth1 nvnet
remove nvaudio /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove nvaudio
install nvaudio /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install nvaudio
remove unknown /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove unknown
install unknown /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install unknown
blacklist audio
blacklist snd-usb-audio
aslnetusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 05:40 PM   #36
aslnetusa

OK, I experimented with some intuitive adjustments to this file - same result, no sound, no /dev/dsp and in the gui tool for hardware list, it shows snd-hda-intel as the driver, but when I click on the config tool, it shows nvaudio (OSS) as the driver, hmmmm.... TIA

Code:
alias eth0 eth1394
alias sound-slot-0 nvaudio
alias /dev/dsp nvaudio
install scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe sata_nv; /bin/true
install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe ohci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd; /bin/true
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
alias eth1 nvnet
install nvaudio /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install nvaudio
blacklist snd-usb-audio
aslnetusa is offline   Reply With Quote