Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-26-06, 01:10 AM   #13
CR0C0DILE

Default Re: My BFG 6800GT dying? (Unique situation)

Youre right it might voied your warranty to take off the heatsink but it may be the problem. My card used a thermal pad originally. The thermal pad gets somewhat abused from constant heat and relaxes into a compressed state.
This makes it lose some contact pressure with the heatsink and graphics core.
Cleaning it off and replacing it with a good application of as5 will fix it.
That leaves you with a dilemna of whther to risk it and risk voiding your warranty. I did replace my thermal pad this way last year or so, it was completely shot.
CR0C0DILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 01:52 AM   #14
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

BFG
Quote:
The KB article the previous tech refered you to was only to be used if you
were having IRQ issues, as he stated. It's probably not an IRQ issue though;
there are two things that regularly cause the issues you're seeing. The first
is a bad card, and if we can narrow it down to that, we'll go ahead and
replace it for you.
The other possibility we need to look into is that of power and thermal
issues. Please download PC Wizard from
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3846.html
and install it. Once you have PC Wizard open, click on the icon that looks
like a meter (bottom right icon in the group at the top left) and let us know
the values for:
CPU Temp (C):
GPU Temp (C):
12V:
5V:
3.3V:
my reply:

Quote:
The values are:

CPU Temp (C): 25c
GPU Temp (C): 63c
12V: 11.19v
5V: 3.68v
3.3V: 3.25v
BFG's reply to that:
Quote:
Looks like it's time to replace your power supply. Your 12V needs to be
between 11.8 and 12.2, and your 5V between 4.85 and 5.15, or close to there,
for decent performance. Having a 12 and 5 that low could (and quite possibly
has) fried your motherboard. I'd say replace the power supply, and if you get
the same behaviour, we'll go ahead and replace the card, as the PSU may have
damaged the card. If the new card you receive is getting the same issues,
than your power supply fried your motherboard, and you'll need to replace that
as well.
whaddaya think? Why has it lasted this long if it's the power supply frying my mobo?

I sent this back:

Quote:
Then why has it lasted this long if my motherboard is fried? And my power supply also supplies all my hard drives, CD-ROM drives, CPU, RAM, Video, plus my Logitech steering wheel, Mouse, a small LED light, Sound card, wireless network card, and a spare USB add in card? all since Mid December? (2 months)

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 02:32 AM   #15
Faster
Weird Australian

well power supplies can work fine, until something really drawns alot of current out of them.

it is worth a shot, a bad PSU could cause issues like this. However more likely, ur card GPU is dead.
Kingston 1 GB DDR466
2x SATA 80GB 7200RPM

3Dmarks03 = 12763
3Dmarks05 = 5804
Faster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 03:08 AM   #16
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

I dont think it's my PSU, because my PSU has Short-circuit/ Over current/ Over voltage/ Over power/ Under voltage/ Electric shock free protection. If it were bad, then it would go out all at once, or alert me.

AMD Phenom II 955BE
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
HANNS-G 28" LCD
Windows 7 Pro x64
Old 02-26-06, 09:03 AM   #17
Geekusdeekus

Right I ran that program with my temps in another window but the card would only go up to 84 degrees C and up to that eveything was fine. ThenI played COD2 for about an hour and all was well. This morning I turned my comp on to play COD2 and about 15 minutes into it the screen went loopy and froze and the computer restarted.
I took the card to bits and re applied arctic silver instead of the normal paste, and cleaned any dust out, which surprisingly there was hardly any of. I then reinstalled the card and turned on the computer, 10 minutes into COD2 and the same happened again.

I have just been and bought a POV 6200 TC card (just to test if it is the card) and I have installed it and again ran COD2, all seems to be well so far, only time will tell. If the problem was actually the card it should have dissappeared now, and will give me a good excuse to buy a top card for once.

Oh by the way, I ran that diagnostic tool and all my voltages are fine except my 12v is actually 11.13 volts, could this be a casue?
Geekusdeekus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 09:34 AM   #18
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

yes, BFG tech said the +12v rail is too low, it shouldnt be below 11.8v. That is possible

AMD Phenom II 955BE
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
HANNS-G 28" LCD
Windows 7 Pro x64
Old 02-26-06, 11:11 AM   #19
CR0C0DILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekusdeekus
Right I ran that program with my temps in another window but the card would only go up to 84 degrees C and up to that eveything was fine. ThenI played COD2 for about an hour and all was well. This morning I turned my comp on to play COD2 and about 15 minutes into it the screen went loopy and froze and the computer restarted.
I took the card to bits and re applied arctic silver instead of the normal paste, and cleaned any dust out, which surprisingly there was hardly any of. I then reinstalled the card and turned on the computer, 10 minutes into COD2 and the same happened again.

I have just been and bought a POV 6200 TC card (just to test if it is the card) and I have installed it and again ran COD2, all seems to be well so far, only time will tell. If the problem was actually the card it should have dissappeared now, and will give me a good excuse to buy a top card for once.

Oh by the way, I ran that diagnostic tool and all my voltages are fine except my 12v is actually 11.13 volts, could this be a casue?
If your 12 v rail dips below 12 volts that is definitely a problem. I recommend you get a neo power. http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...oducts_id=1979
This one I paid 150$ for and its now 105$. Its got two 12 volt rails at 18 amps apiece.
CR0C0DILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 03:15 PM   #20
Geekusdeekus

right well, the 6200TC has worked fine now for about 6 hours, including heavy gaming, so i think the 6800GT has well and truly died. My power supply is a good one though so I am dissapointed to see the 12V is so low, its actually a Tagan 2force 480 watt which cost me 80 and is only about 4 months old. Before ditching my card should I try another power supply? That said, the 6200 I have in now doesn't actually require the 4pin power supply that was plugged into my 6800 so maybe this lead was the culprit, what do you guys think?

Old 02-26-06, 05:28 PM   #21
ynnek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekusdeekus
Right I ran that program with my temps in another window but the card would only go up to 84 degrees C and up to that eveything was fine.

How long did you run it for?
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 07:25 PM   #22
Geekusdeekus

I ran it for about 30 mins, was that enough?
Old 02-26-06, 08:04 PM   #23
Son Goku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock
That first number is the GPU core temp. The CPU temp usually hovers around 33c, 35 at full load. ambient inside the case is around 31-33 at full load (I have 8 case fans), how I got the temps, is in the NVidia control panel, where it says Temperature settings (You can also set how high the GPU can go before threshold exceeds).
OK, just checking, cause sometimes people pull the numbers from the BIOS, or some utility that measures system temps, and then just reports that. Your ambient and all isn't bad then...

Quote:
I have the receipt! it's 9/18/04

It started about mid December of 2005 (so maybe about 2 months?)
This could be a problem, beings that we're now in 2006. 2 months is a bit late for a return to store however, which leaves one having to deal with the company. Many stores do exchanges, no questions asked, but require the exchange within 30 days.

BFG might or might not decide to put you through the ringer, albeit, the voltages you had claimed for your PSU do seem a bit low. Not that the PSU has necessarily gone bad, but rather it might just not be beefy enough to supply your current drawing needs, and keep the voltages sufficiently high enough. The drops are likely do to heavy load on the rails.

3.68 v on the 5 volt rail, I would most definitely question, and your 12 volt rail is too low also. Your 3.3 volt rail looks fine. You might want to try a bigger PSU, to see if this helps evelvate those voltages some. As someone said, 11.8 volts+ for a 12 volt rail would be more ideal, and as to your 5 volt, it's got hardly anymore voltage, then your 3.3 volt rail...

If a bigger PSU doesn't help, I'd definitely RMA that card, and it's possible it should have been RMA'd last year. Just get back to the tech then, and tell them the bigger PSU hasn't done a thing to alleviate the problem, if this proves the case...
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 08:36 PM   #24
einstein_314
w00t!!

I'd say your power supply is the problem. I'm not sure how your computer is running with 3.68V on the 5V rail. I've recently had a powersupply problem and my 5V rail was dipping below 4.4V. As soon as it went below 4.4, the computer turns its self off. How did you measure you voltages? Did you use a multimeter?
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote