Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-28-06, 01:04 PM   #13
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Default Re: I want to try MMORPG, but which one?

I haven't touched another game for months now, except Mega Man X Collection.

My guild just downed Vaelestrasz the Corrupt on Friday, and we're currently working on Broodlord Lashlayer. He'll be dead by the end of the week. Blackwing Lair is so awesome. Ahn'Qiraj just opened up on our server, and we took out the first two bosses in the 20-man side (Ruins) last night, it was a blast.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-06, 02:28 PM   #14
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

If you want to try out a MMORPG here is my opinion.

WoW is a great MMORPG for starters, but keep in mind while its a good game, its not very good at being an MMORPG.

Guild Wars isn't even an MMORPG, but merely a fun game.

Everquest 1 and Dark Age of Camelot are very old MMORPG's but VERY solid and good. These two games are basically the standard. Dated graphics. Probably not worth playing now because they are so old, but still right fun. They will at least show you what an MMO is suppose to play like.

I've played about 8 MMORPG's and personally I don't think there is anything good out there that is new anyway. Vanguard is what I am looking forward to.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-06, 04:23 PM   #15
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

well i don't want WOW, as i never liked Warcraft plus WOW looks to cartoony for me.

I want to try a some MMO thats looks decent too.

do you think i should wait for Vanguard (SP?)
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-06, 04:38 PM   #16
nrdstrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
well i don't want WOW, as i never liked Warcraft plus WOW looks to cartoony for me.

I want to try a some MMO thats looks decent too.

do you think i should wait for Vanguard (SP?)
Yes, and that is all I can say about that...
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 07:23 AM   #17
|MaguS|

I would say try out DDO, Im having a blast with it. While its not a "true" MMORPG but more along the lines of Guild Wars the community is very friendly right from the start and the quests feel alot better then most MMOs out there since they are all instance based and are unique. Oh another plus is that theres not many delivery quests...

Im probably going to play DDO till Vanguards.
Old 03-01-06, 08:14 AM   #18
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

Actually you can solo in WOW post 60 just fine. You can just obtain decent gear through BG's or patterns for a trade working(leatherworking/tailoring etc.) that are bought off the AH. It all really depends on what you want to do in the game. PVE, you're better off being in a guild. Personally I just enjoy the pvp aspect(instance get boring to me fast) of the game so for world pvp, ganking, etc, you're fine playing solo and obtaining the decent gear through lame BG's. Or even pickup groups for instances/raids here and there.
Old 03-30-06, 10:52 AM   #19
Boogalo

Send a message via ICQ to Boogalo Send a message via AIM to Boogalo

its hard to beat original EQ as far as depth of content is concerned. i play EQ1 and am in a high-end raiding guild and have a blast. i only log on to raid though, my goof off time is filled soling and questing in WoW.
Boogalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-06, 11:13 AM   #20
|MaguS|

I wouldn't recommend EQ1 for anyone now. Its WAY too hard to start up since most of the people playing are all high levels or the people you do meet are all twinks that have far better equipment then you would be able to get.

EQ1 is dead for anyone whos not playing it, only long time players or returning players. Heck, I even played EQ1 for 5 years but two years of not playing has put me too far behind to even start up again.

Old 03-30-06, 02:16 PM   #21
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
I wouldn't recommend EQ1 for anyone now. Its WAY too hard to start up since most of the people playing are all high levels or the people you do meet are all twinks that have far better equipment then you would be able to get.

EQ1 is dead for anyone whos not playing it, only long time players or returning players. Heck, I even played EQ1 for 5 years but two years of not playing has put me too far behind to even start up again.
EQ Emu FTW!

I know you despise emulators MaguS, but the EQ ones are very very fun. . I've given over $600 to play Everquest live, so I think I am entitled to my emulators.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-06, 04:22 PM   #22
MustangSVT
Stop looking at me

Don't mean to steal your thread, but I have a similar thread to the original poster.

I've been thinking of getting hooked up on a "real" MMORPG this summer instead of getting Guild Wars Factions. First of all, I've never played any MMORPG, since I've never found myself wanting to pay. Things haven't necessarily changed now, but I saw Vanguard screens and heard how it's gonna be and it's gotten me interested.. The only experience with online RPGs I have is Baldur's Gate II, Diablo II, Neverwinter Nights and Guild Wars.

What I'm looking for is a evolving world where like you can meet friends when you travel around a massive world, hook up and go looting some crazy areas, be afraid of dying, good teamwork, lots of interaction with the world. Guild Wars is more of like upgraded Diablo II and I love it a lot, but I kinda liked Neverwinter Nights online more. NWN had different modules so the world kinda changed in a way, the level cap of 20 and then 40 in the Hordes expansion was quite hard to achieve, and you were afraid of dying, and on a good server (over 30 people) you could meet up randomly with people and become friends with all of them, you could go hunting, make a campfire and cook food, go into the forest and hunt a dragon. I loved NWN a lot, cause it had MANY features, like you could meet up with a DM who would appear in the form of like a god, dragons were big and would you make go crazy with the fear, so on, and items were quite unique and rare.

Guild Wars doesn't offer this as much. The instanced areas mean you don't find any friends "along" the way, but you don't run into people who are farming the area you wanted to go hunting in. The world is quite big, but it seems a bit more linear than NWN which I don't like. In NWN you could go through the forest, and come to a place where the road split up, and you could decide to go north, south, west, or cut through the forest and see what happens, etc.

I'm looking for something like this but with an evolving world, I've always had the dream of playing an RPG like that, where you can meet friends "along" the way, very explorable, you can go hunting etc. At the same time, I don't want to go through a insane level grind (Guild Wars did well on this, no crappy level grind IMO, and NWN only the first 5 levels were a grind), and I don't want to go to all the good areas and always find out that there's people there already.

I know there's couple of people here who are beta testing Vanguard here I think. Would you say Vanguard offers this? I don't want any specific info as I know you're under an NDA, but just a simple yes or no where Vanguard is what I'm looking for. Or is there another MMORPG coming that offers this?

Oh and please don't say World of WarCraft. I've played that at a friend's house. It looks like a good game, but I don't have time for it, I'm not really into its graphics, and just simply not interested in it.

Oh and another thing. I did play Lineage II on an unnoficial server which had a lot of people, and it was just pure crap. I played it for about a week or two, and the level grind was unbearable, the graphics were awful and blocky, and there was no point to it (just run around and kill people or animals), and the motion animations were the worst I've ever seen.

2. Q9550 @ 3.7, ASUS P5K, Galaxy 8800GT G92, 2GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, Samsung 710N + Samsung 205BW, Audigy 2 + SB Live! 5.1 (hooked up together, really), dad's comp

3. XP-M 2500+ @ 205x11.5, Gigabyte nForce2-400, GeForce4 Ti4200, 2x512MB OCZ DDR-400 "Premier", oldie
MustangSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-06, 04:51 PM   #23
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

I would say Guild Wars... some will say it isn't a real MMO, but whatever... it would be a great first because you don't have to pay monthly, so you could play it forever for no extra cost... not only that, but it is probably the best MMO I have played (and payed for), and I have played A LOT.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-06, 08:32 AM   #24
|MaguS|

MustangSVT, You seem to be alot like me. You care more about adventuring and questing with friends then being uber all the time. You also seem to want to feel like your in a large world. If this is correct then Vanguards is what you are looking for. It will bring back all the fears of dying (even the dreaded corpse run) but will also have a good learning curve insted of throwing you into the world without a clue.

If you like meeting people and adventuring with them, I recommend Dungeons and Dragons Online untill Vanguards. Thats what Im doing. Its a very group oriented game and I have met some great people on it. There are alot of immature people on it but nowhere near the amount of WoW or even EQ2. Most of the players are older (Im the youngest in my Guild, Im 24).

Sure the game is alot like Guild Wars as in theres no huge world but it offers alot more quests and just a better enviroment in my opinion. Players actually have interaction with the world aswell (there are breakables and quests often involve the players directly).