Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-01-06, 04:41 PM   #13
yesil

Default Re: TwinView Problem With Two CRTs

Here's the bug report, I wish this time this would give you an hint. Now my X has a wide workspace, and it even put the windows on right half of the workspace where I could not see, I have to alt+f7 and move it to left half and see it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (25.6 KB, 112 views)
yesil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 05:31 PM   #14
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

If you're using two CRTs, then the ConnectedMonitor should reference two CRTs, not one CRT and one DFP.

Also, if both CRTs are identical (as they appear to be based on your bug report), then you shouldn't need to use these options in your X configuration:
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "10-200"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "50-160"

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 05:39 PM   #15
yesil

I fixed those lines. But as I expressed before, I don't have two VGA output on card. I got one VGA and one DVI output, and I'm using a DVI to VGA adaptor to use two CRTs. When I put CRT, CRT it does not detect second monitor.
Old 03-01-06, 05:42 PM   #16
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

As far as the driver is concerned, you're using two CRTs.

Are you stating that setting ConnectedMonitor="CRT,CRT" does not detect the second CRT? Can you post another verbose X log that captures this?

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 03-01-06, 05:43 PM   #17
yesil

Quote:
(II) NVIDIA(0): Using ConnectedMonitor string "CRT-0, CRT-1"
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Inappropriate ConnectedMonitor string.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s): CRT-0
(--) NVIDIA(0): CRT-0: maximum pixel clock: 400 MHz
(II) NVIDIA(0): Frequency information for CRT-0:
(II) NVIDIA(0): HorizSync : 30.000-71.000 kHz
(II) NVIDIA(0): VertRefresh : 50.000-160.000 Hz
(II) NVIDIA(0): (HorizSync from EDID)
(II) NVIDIA(0): (VertRefresh from EDID)
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Only one display device connected; disabling TwinView.
That's the log output related with it.

Well I really don't understand the logic behind this. Because when I plug directly an LCD monitor to DVI port twinview works. How come nvidia driver send same image to both CRTs, but different one to LCD monitor while they get plugged some slot.
Old 03-01-06, 05:49 PM   #18
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm afraid I don't know why its not working either. When I plug two CRTs into a GeForce 6200 TC card here, both of them work in TwinView. So whatever is failing seems to be specific to your environment.

-Lonni
Old 03-01-06, 05:55 PM   #19
yesil

But do you connect them with DVI to VGA converter? If my card has two VGA output I doubt it would cause any trouble.

Btw, when I plug a DVI LCD as second monitor it works, I tried it like, I started X then I changed the outpu from DVI LCD to CRT using DVI to analog converter. Then suddenly that damn CRT monitor started to show left half of virtual space again.

Also I noticed that, when a real DFP monitor is plugged, It says EDID provided 1280x1024 added to modes, and when it was CRT it was using 1024x768 added to modes. However I run my desktop at 1280x1024, both monitors are same and they support this modes.

Anyways, I really belive that this is a bug in driver or smoething that sends CRT output to CRT monitors, and since both of them are CRT it sends same output to both of them. I wish I had a chance to try it with windows, but I only use linux.
Old 03-01-06, 06:09 PM   #20
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Yes, my testing was with a CRT attached to the DVI port.

-Lonni

Old 11-18-06, 04:58 AM   #21
aggiecoal

This is the exact problem I am having with my FX5200. Has this been resolved? I tried using version 8776 of the drivers and then I updated to the latest (9629) with the same results. I don't have an LCD to test with as the original poster did, but it seems to be the same behavior.

For clarification: when set up in twin view with the second monitor RightOf the first one, both show the same view as in clone mode.

I looked through the verbose logs and it seems to be setting up twin view correctly according to the outputs. There is clearly more space to the right of the visible area (I can move my mouse off the screen and it takes just as long to move it back).
aggiecoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-06, 12:29 PM   #22
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Please generate and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log while this problem is present.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 11-18-06, 01:17 PM   #23
aggiecoal

Here is the debug log file run with -logverbose 5.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (121.9 KB, 101 views)
Old 11-18-06, 05:04 PM   #24
aggiecoal

A little more info:

My card has 3 outputs, VGA, TV, and DVI. I have CRT monitors on the VGA port and the DVI port (using a DVI->VGA adapter).

I don't think the issue is with the window manager, because the spash screen comes up the same on both monitors, half way off the right side. Everything looks like it is working right up to the point where it goes to output to the screen and writes the same thing to both montiors.

I have tried using the TwinViewXineramaInfo order which changes what is displayed on the monitors, but it is still the same on both.

I successfully set up twinview and seperate screens using the TV out. In this case I can get something different on the TV, and the two monitors display the same thing. My ultimate goal is to get the TV to clone one of the monitors, but I have to get something different on the two monitors first.

I have also removed the TV connection when trying to get the monitors to work, but the results were the same.

Tried the current drivers, legacy drivers, and beta drivers. All have the same problem.

Also the refresh rate and resolution is always the same on both monitors.

My only guess is that somehow the driver and/or video card is getting confused because it is detecting two CRTs but only has one VGA port, so it ends up sending the same image to both monitors. This doesn't get me any closer to a solution unfortunatly.