Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-01-06, 02:20 PM   #1
mfainberg

Exclamation system hangs with GLX programs with nvidia driver

I am having an issue with my nvidia drivers on a FC 4 install. I am running a DFI Lan Party board with nf4 chipset, and dual 16x PCI-Express slots. I have 2 GeForce 6600 UT (128MB) using SLi. Everything loads fine until I load a GLX capable program (such as glxgears, glxinfo, etc), at this time the system totally locks up, no information is printed to logs, and CNTL+ALT+f1 does not get me back to a shell. I have tried using a remote shell and experienced the net and everything else lockup as well.

This appears to be specific to the nvidia driver(s), as the system does not lockup without nvidia loaded. Finally, I have attempted the patches for 8178 to no avail, same behavior. I am running an Athalon 64 3000+, but do not currently use an x86_64 enabled kernel at this time (due to FC4s install)...I will compile the 64bit extensions in if needed, but would prefere not to.

System is running 2.6.15-1 kernel.

I appriciate any help with regards to this. It is near impossible to get a solid Xorg log, or run the nvidia bug util since the system is totally hung.

This is a fresh (just completed) install. I am leaning towards a hardware (motherboard) issue but would like to explore any possible software/driver side solutions before just replacing parts on this rig.

Thanks.
mfainberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 02:24 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: system hangs with GLX programs with nvidia driver

Please generate an nvidia-bug-report.log after rebooting.

Also, does this reproduce with the latest official FC4 kernel?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 02:38 PM   #3
mfainberg

After having no success with 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4, I used yum for the update to 2.6.15-1.1831_FC4. Both kernels are having this issue. Is there a specific kernel I should be looking at using as the "latest"?

Attached is the buglog. (split in 2 parts to allow uploading)
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report_1.log (45.2 KB, 105 views)
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report_2.log (69.9 KB, 102 views)
Old 03-01-06, 02:59 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Does this only reproduce with SLI enabled?
Can you point me to DFI's web page for this motherboard?
If you boot with the acpi=off and/or noapic kernel parameters, does that have any impact?

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 03-01-06, 04:44 PM   #5
mfainberg

the use of noapic/apci=no appears to have no effect on the situation as a whole. However, removing SLi mode from both the xorg.conf, and disabling it on the motherboard (requires a jumper setting change) seems to have fixed the problem.

This appears to be a SLi issue under linux. The Motherboard information can be found at: http://us.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_prod...YPE=LP&SITE=US

My motherboard looks like this one, and appears to have the same features, it might be a slightly older Rev. however, I can't be sure as the identifiers on the board itself are limited (and I no longer have the box).

Any insight as to the best way to get SLi working again under linux (as this is the reason I have this setup) would be welcome.
Old 03-01-06, 04:49 PM   #6
mfainberg

Actually I think it is this board. sorry for the confusion: http://us.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_prod...YPE=LP&SITE=US
Old 03-01-06, 05:02 PM   #7
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'll see if I can locate this motherboard here to reproduce the problem.

In the interim, can you confirm that you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard applied?
Also, please try booting with the pci=conf1 kernel parameter (with SLI) and see if that has any impact on the problem.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 03-01-06, 08:09 PM   #8
mfainberg

Cool Re: system hangs with GLX programs with nvidia driver

I was on the most current bios, however a reflash of the bios has taken care of the issue.

The only questions I have still are regarding the different SLi settings under linux and which will produce the best quality/performance with the least screen tearing. As much as I know GLXGears is not a good example, I do see a chunk of screen tearing when using it, and want to make sure that the best options used, and I see the best performance for glx apps and Cedega. I am sure with some research I can look this information up.

Thanks for all the help! You guys are awesome.

Old 03-01-06, 08:23 PM   #9
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Interesting that reflashing the BIOS again fixed the problem. I'm happy to hear it worked though.

If you want to eliminate tearing on a DFP, then you'd need to turn on sync to vbank.

Thanks,
Lonni