Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-01-06, 05:45 PM   #1
backinblack

Default I Wanna Go Back!!

Hello, The installation of an ASUS8N-VM motherboard was finally completed, but sadly, there was the necessity of going back to Windows in order to get back on line. The drivers that came with the install CD were not compatible with my Linux distro Xandros.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a 64-bit Linux distro?
My main uses are surfing the net and playing Chess on the Internet Chess Club, and one with a user friendly partitioner. Parted that came with Xandros was something that remains a mystery. Despite numerous attempts, I could never figure out what parted considered a "valid partition number".
Linux makes me feel like a kid in a candy store!!!! There is always a new distro to try!!!!!!!!! And isn't it nice to know exactly what is, and is not on your computer?
Any tips, pointers, suggestions, hints, hints, advice is not only welcome, but desperately needed!!!
T Thank you for your patience!
backinblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 06:47 PM   #2
Q

Default Re: I Wanna Go Back!!

I'm partial to Suse and Ubuntu myself, but I'm no Linux Guru. I had no problem with thier 64-bit distros.

On a side note, when I first read your title I swore it said "I wanna go black". I was wondering what it was doing in a Linux forum, but was going to say 'more power to you, there definetly are some fine sistas out there".
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 08:28 PM   #3
NightsPaladin

Any of the mainstream distro's really would work, Mandriva, (K)Ubuntu, SuSE, Fedora Core for your purposes.

As for your network card, is it wired, or wireless? If it's wireless, look into the NDISWrapper project (ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net). I use it with my Belkin WNIC, because there are no native drivers for the chip. If NDISWrapper doesn't work, search Google for DriverLoader, it's similar to NDISWrapper, but many people have more success with it. Basically, the two just allow you to use the Windows Driver (.inf) file, to use the card.

NP
NightsPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 09:12 PM   #4
fozner

Pick a distro you're comfortable with and you'll get to know its quirks and workarounds. I'm partial to Fedora Core 4_64 but not because of anything negative with other distros. Oh, I've used Slax, Xandros and Slackware but nothing recent and nothing 64 bit so it wouldn't be a fair comparison. Maybe if I had some time and a reason to I would check out some other 64 bit distros but no time and no reason. Fedora works fine for me.
fozner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-06, 12:26 PM   #5
tinbox

I find has Centos 4 (Red hat ES4 clone) is an easy to use stable 64 bit version.

http://www.freespeech.ie
tinbox is offline   Reply With Quote