Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-04-06, 03:41 PM   #1
Claptonvaughn

Default Fried/shorted out my 6600GT?

I was playing Far Cry a few nights ago when my foot accidentally nudged the switch on my surge protector. This caused it to suddenly shut my PC off.

Upon trying to reboot, my PC refused to turn on. Instead I got 1 long beep followed by 2 short ones.

After searching online, I've found that the diagnostic beeps I got are pointing towards a display/video problem.

So I took my 6600GT out and put my old 9200se () in. Everything works now until I order a new card.

Now here's what I want to know:

1. Is it really THAT easy to mess up a card? How is a surge protector shutting off different than hard-restarting a PC when it freezes?

2. My AGP slot obviously still works, since my 9200se is booting up. However, the 6600GT required a molex connector from my PSU while the 9200se does not. Is it possible I also messed up my PSU and just haven't realized it yet?
Claptonvaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 04:01 PM   #2
Son Goku

Default Re: Fried/shorted out my 6600GT?

On the surface, I wouldn't think so. Now the ATX switch is not like a standard switch. It sends a signal to the mobo instructing it to "turn off", vs. an actual switch that cuts the circuit... Which brings up an imporant point here, and that is turning off the ATX power, doesn't cut power, so if one is gonna work in there, unplug it, or turn it off from a real switch (perhaps on the PSU itself).

But I'm not sure what happened in your case. Only thing I can think of is there was some kind of a voltage spike which came out of the thing when you bumped into the switch, and this voltage spike caused bad things to happen to your card. Now, how it could have caused a voltage spike, perhaps someone else might have an idea, as I'm a bit mystified myself...
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 06:43 PM   #3
john19055

Default Re: Fried/shorted out my 6600GT?

I would reset the CMOS in the BIOS and then reseat the card and see if it does not come back on.
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote