Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-16-06, 03:02 PM   #25
d13f00l

Default Re: Slow AA text rendering in KDE

Bit of an update, I stuck in my old Geforce4MX 440, it was much faster, still slightly slower than GTk apps.

I think whatever KDE apps do for font rendering is slower than GTK slightly, that's why people are complaining more about KDE apps, but the problem seems to mostly lie in the nvidia driver, it seems?
d13f00l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 03:49 PM   #26
d13f00l

Argh! This makes no sense! Kedit is fine, kwrite is slow!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-06, 04:46 PM   #27
_john_i_
gtx260/8200M G/DIY Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by d13f00l
Argh! This makes no sense! Kedit is fine, kwrite is slow!!!!!!!
I've noticed the same thing. Some few KDE apps don't seem to suffer as much.

I took a look at the font rendering source in pango (gtk rendering backend) and compared it to qtfontengine_x11.cpp in the QT source, and QT appears to be using an older form of this, calling funcitons in the xft library, while pango is using things from fontconfig and freetype.

I took a look at the qt-4.1 source as well, and it appears that they have completely rewritten the font engine code, and it resembles pango's implementation. qt4 may fix it once kde4 is out.

I am compiling qt4 and early kde4 stuff from subversion, and will let everyone know if it gets better.
_john_i_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 04:53 PM   #28
benjimanw

I can confirm this problem (5900xt card). This was not a problem with 6629 and earlier drivers. Since then activating renderaccel no longer improves speed of rendering antialiased fonts in kde. Unfortunately I can no longer get 6629 drivers to work with new kernels.
benjimanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 07:24 PM   #29
d13f00l

Quote:
Originally Posted by _john_i_
I've noticed the same thing. Some few KDE apps don't seem to suffer as much.

I took a look at the font rendering source in pango (gtk rendering backend) and compared it to qtfontengine_x11.cpp in the QT source, and QT appears to be using an older form of this, calling funcitons in the xft library, while pango is using things from fontconfig and freetype.

I took a look at the qt-4.1 source as well, and it appears that they have completely rewritten the font engine code, and it resembles pango's implementation. qt4 may fix it once kde4 is out.

I am compiling qt4 and early kde4 stuff from subversion, and will let everyone know if it gets better.

My god, keep me update on this please. Let me know how it comes out.
Old 03-17-06, 01:22 AM   #30
Linuxhippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by _john_i_
However the font engine has only very little to do with the actual speed problems - the glyphs are rendered once into an image buffer (i guess a pixmap) and then only this image buffer is blitted (in the accalerated case).
Thats why xorg eats all the time and not the application itself (which is where the font-engine actually runs).

lg Clemens
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 06:15 PM   #31
_john_i_
gtx260/8200M G/DIY Linux

I finally got a (barely) functional KDE4 with QT-4.1 compiled, and the good news is the font issue seems to be fixed!

Too bad kde4 is still a long way off.

I tested konqueror and kate, and was able to drag windows across them, and the font redraw was nice and fast like in GTK apps.

It might be possible to back-port the font rendering stuff from QT4 to QT3, but they appear to be vastly different, so it would be quite a chore.
_john_i_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-06, 04:55 AM   #32
Linuxhippy

why work arround driver issues if the issue itself should be worked on...
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-06, 01:34 PM   #33
Thindox

In my opinion this bug should be at least reviewed in detail by nvidia developers.
Workarrounds are ugly and often don't lead to an optimal result, so if the bug is in KDE or QT it should be fixed there - if its in the drivers, fix it in the drivers.

If its on the graphic-chip ... ok ... workarround it in the drivers

lg Thindox
Thindox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 03:05 PM   #34
Ewald

Well I really hope the nvidia guys can fix this cause it sucks to have a dual core desktop that feels like a remote VNC session.
Ewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 06:04 AM   #35
d13f00l

I'm told that drivers 6629 are fine.
Is it possible some accelerated render hook or something was taken out between 6629 and the latest nvidia driver?

Maybe some KDE apps still need it, even if they are coded improperly? Can anything be done?
Old 03-30-06, 12:28 PM   #36
firephoto

I'm experiencing this issue again here, things were ok when I first switched to the modular xorg in late december but recently the cpu usage has gone crazy when antialiased fonts are scrolling. I can make the rest of the system unresponsive by grabbing a scroll bar and sliding it up and down really fast in konqueror which causes 100% cpu load on X. If I do this same thing in firefox the cpu load is shared pretty equally between firefox and X and never touches 100% total but is rather high, 80%+.

Card is a 6800gt with the 1.0.8178 drivers.

The only recent changes here that I can point a finger at is updating qt to 3.3.6 and some xorg-server updates. This is on a gentoo ~x86 install.
firephoto is offline   Reply With Quote