Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-06-06, 05:25 AM   #73
d13f00l

Default Re: Slow AA text rendering in KDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnightt
Hi all,

I was with this problem for at least 6 moths and today I just change some settings in my xorg.conf to solve then.

KDE 3.5.0
Xorg 6.8.1 and 7.0 (works with both)
Nvidia Driver 1.0-8178
Kernel 2.6.15.2

I'm runnig Gobolinux [1].

Follow my Xorg changes:

Code:
Section "Module"
       #Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Option      "RandRRotation" "1"
        Option      "RenderAccel" "1"
	Option      "Coolbits" "1"
EndSection
I hope this help.

1. http://www.gobolinux.org/index.php?lang=en_US
That won't speed up font AA w/ subpixel hinting, that will only speed up regular font AA.
I run those options as well. What are your system specs, and do you have subpixel font hinting enabled?
d13f00l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 07:31 PM   #74
mnightt

Quote:
Originally Posted by d13f00l
That won't speed up font AA w/ subpixel hinting, that will only speed up regular font AA.
I run those options as well. What are your system specs, and do you have subpixel font hinting enabled?
Yes, it isn't enabled. I'm using a CRT monitor.
Sorry, I wasn't read all the thread and I don't know that is about subpixel.

Anyway, it solved my problem.

Cheers.
mnightt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 04:30 AM   #75
chavovaldez

Hi, I've been following this thread and a couple of others because I've had this same problem. I've been using KDE for years now and this has gotten to drop it completely. The painfully slow scrolling and high CPU usage just drove me over the edge and back to Windows.

Well I'm happy to report that using an up to date Kubuntu Dapper Drake and running the XGL server has fixed this problem here. So this leads me to believe the problem lies in the old xserver somewhere. Anyway I've got XGL and Twinview running flawlessly with my favorite desktop again and couldn't be happier.
chavovaldez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-06, 06:04 PM   #76
benjiman

XGL does not seem to solve the problem, only make it less annoying as text has to be re-drawn less often.

Anyhow so that people who don't have this problem can see how bad it is I have made a video (I have a 5900xt, renderaccel enabled). The konqueror on the left has no antialiasing, the konqueror on the right has antialiasing:

http://bw.uwcs.co.uk/nvidia-fonts.mpg
benjiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-06, 09:01 PM   #77
wizdom

Repeat the test with something that isn't Qt based and I think you'll be surprised. For example Firefox with the same test.

There's clearly some interaction with the NVIDIA driver and Qt apps, or just Qt being slow for whatever reason.
wizdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-06, 09:30 PM   #78
d13f00l

I gave up on this a while ago. I disabled subpixel hinting, and switched to grayscale + font hinting. It looked like crap, I enabled BCI in freetype, now it looks basically visibly as good as it did with subpixel hinting on, and it's fast. Bah.
Old 05-28-06, 12:29 PM   #79
Linuxhippy

I reported the issue twice using linux-bugs@nvidia.com, the first time I didn't get a reply ... so I wrote the small micro-benchmark and sent the benchmark results again to the adress mentioned above. Again no reply.

Here in the forum I just saw the default "we always look for ways..." which either means "we know but thats a unresolveable hardware problem" or "we don't care about guys like you, stop spreading bad publicity in our support forums!".

I haven't seen any improvements nore wasn't even Nvidia able to explain why a Duron800/FX5200 outperformed a AMD64/GF6600 by a factor of two.

Maybe I have to wait another two years or it'll never get fixed but I know one thing - never trust a company. Next time I'll order hardware over the net, in europe we can send it back the first two weeks if we are not statisfied.

Clemens
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-06, 03:00 PM   #80
wizdom

Totally agree. My next card will be a Radeon supported by the R300 driver, no matter how slow and featureless it is, at least I can use it with semi-modern software.
wizdom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-06, 12:42 AM   #81
d13f00l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuxhippy
I reported the issue twice using linux-bugs@nvidia.com, the first time I didn't get a reply ... so I wrote the small micro-benchmark and sent the benchmark results again to the adress mentioned above. Again no reply.

Here in the forum I just saw the default "we always look for ways..." which either means "we know but thats a unresolveable hardware problem" or "we don't care about guys like you, stop spreading bad publicity in our support forums!".

I haven't seen any improvements nore wasn't even Nvidia able to explain why a Duron800/FX5200 outperformed a AMD64/GF6600 by a factor of two.

Maybe I have to wait another two years or it'll never get fixed but I know one thing - never trust a company. Next time I'll order hardware over the net, in europe we can send it back the first two weeks if we are not statisfied.

Clemens

There's like 6000 things it could be. As far as I know, it's not a nvidia bug at all. Why is KWrite terrible w/ the fonts, and KEdit fine? Only some KDE components are affected massively. Yes, font AA is slow, it's also slow in Windows. Right now, no driver that I know of, ATI or NVIDIA, on any platform uses hardware acceleration to render subpixel hinted text. The pixel shaders on the card can do it, but that's just a bonus not yet implemented, it's not a bug.

As to why you have one system faster or slower than the other, theres many different versions of libraries, freetype, X, QT, and so on. Perhaps your duron has a mixture that seems to work...

Try sticking the duron's HD in the a64. I bet it works, :\

It's a really crappy bug, wherever it's coming from.

Last edited by d13f00l; 05-29-06 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-29-06, 12:52 AM   #82
d13f00l

Doh, double post.
Old 05-29-06, 09:56 AM   #83
Linuxhippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by d13f00l
As far as I know, it's not a nvidia bug at all. Why is KWrite terrible w/ the fonts, and KEdit fine?
I wrote a micro benchmark which isn't KDE based at all. Its a simply program drawing tons of subpixel-AA strings.
In this benchmark my old Duron outperforms my new Athlon64 by a factor of two - keeping in mind that the Athlon is 4 times as fast, this is a regression that leads to a performance reduction of about 800%!
So I don't speak about bad performance or not implemented accaleration, I speak about a performance regression. Till you don't get this I would be pleased to not read replies any more

Quote:
Yes, font AA is slow, it's also slow in Windows.
The pixel shaders on the card can do it, but that's just a bonus not yet implemented, it's not a bug.
Man, I am not speaking about hardware accaleration, I speak about a driver performance regression.
My FX5200 sure is many times slower than the new GF6600 and also the processor is about four times faster. It performs fast on all grapical operations, be it blits, fills or whatever, except subpixel-AA wich is terrible slow.

By the way, Java is able to use shaders for subpixel-AA and it turned out that its only faster on higest end board, cards like my FX5200 or the GF6600 would only suffer because the additional overhead.

Quote:
As to why you have one system faster or slower than the other, theres many different versions of libraries, freetype, X, QT, and so on. Perhaps your duron has a mixture that seems to work...
Same system, both are out-of-the-box fedora core 4 systems.
Same driver version, the duron has a VIA chipset board (which is known to be buggy and broken), the Athlon64 is powered by an NForce4 chipset.

Clemens
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-06, 02:12 PM   #84
d13f00l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuxhippy
I wrote a micro benchmark which isn't KDE based at all. Its a simply program drawing tons of subpixel-AA strings.
In this benchmark my old Duron outperforms my new Athlon64 by a factor of two - keeping in mind that the Athlon is 4 times as fast, this is a regression that leads to a performance reduction of about 800%!
So I don't speak about bad performance or not implemented accaleration, I speak about a performance regression. Till you don't get this I would be pleased to not read replies any more
Regression? Several versions ago, subpixel AA was actually accelerated. It was disabled since then, because it rendered improperly. You're talking about that QT program that draws fonts that was posted before, right?

Can you do me a favor?

Post your .fonts.conf file in your home directory on both PCs. Also, what font are you using, on both PCs? Can you try arial? Arial has byte code info in it, so it makes for a good test.

There has to be something that is different... A duron beating out an a64 running the same code...it seems impossible.