Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-28-02, 12:34 AM   #1
DarkNexus

Question Redhat kernel 2.4.18-3 upgrade to 2.4.18-5 no go

Sory if i sound stupid my first day with linux. Heres my problem; after i let the redhat auto updater update all packages (including the kernel from 2.4.18-3 to 2.4.18-5) every time i restart my comp and let grub loader load kernel -5 the gui never comes up and just get text only. If i select kernel -3 at startup through grub loader i can get into the gui just fine. I have tried removing both the kernel and GLX Nvidia drivers and reinstalling them under kernel -5 but no good. Any help appreciated.

PIII 450
TNT2 32mb
256mb
Redhat 7.3/Win98/XP
Old 07-28-02, 07:11 AM   #2
Thunderbird

On Linux a new kernel version means that you need a new nvidia kernel module. You can do two things:

1) Don't use 2.4.18-5 since I don't think it is a that big update. Likely only a few bugfixes to some drivers.

2) Compile the nvidia kernel module for kernel 2.4.18-5. To do this download the nvidia kernel module in tar.gz or src.rpm format. Then make sure the development headers for 2.4.18-5 are installed. Then extract the source of the tar.gz version of the kernel module to a directory and do: make. If everything goes fine the new driver will be compiled and installed.
Or if you chose the src.rpm do: rpm --rebuild
file.src.rpm. (requires rpm development packages too) If everything goes fine an rpm package will be build. You can find the package in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 (or perhaps in another dir if it compiles for i686 for example)

Personally I would stick to the old kernel. The new kernel isn't needed. Compiling a new nvidia kernel module isn't something for your first/second day linux. (especially if the dev packages aren't installed and you need to install those by hand)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 06:19 PM   #3
Paladin21

For whatever reason, your new kernel is not set to start X on its own. You can either ignore the problem (which is the easy way out) by just typing startX after you get to a prompt, or you can try to fix it. If you want to do it the hard way, you are going to have to edit your .initrc files, and that is pretty nasty for a Linux newb. I would suggest you just either use the older kernel (as there are only negligible differences between the two) or start X on your own after you log in.
Old 07-28-02, 10:36 PM   #4
DarkNexus

Thnx Thunderbird for the info, i think ill just stick to the old kernel hehe and paladian it starts x just crashes me out of it, i can type startx and it gives me some huge error. Thnx all for the help.