Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-06, 06:13 AM   #37
Robster

Default Re: Linux 7600 GT driver when?

netllama,

I'm curious as to why you say "GeForce 7300 is unsupported in the current driver release". I bought a Gigabyte 6100/410 mobo + a Gigabyte 7300GS video card (the passively cooled one) for my HTPC recently and was expecting to *not* be able to run X until the new drivers are released.

But I've actually found that it works great! This is version 8178 on Gentoo. I haven't done much testing due to Real Life issues, but tvtime displays beautifully in a window or full-screen, I get an acceptable 2990 fps in glxgears, and KDE and firefox seem to be flawless.

Is it the GeForce 7300 Go that people are struggling with? Or is my system an oddity?
Old 04-03-06, 01:11 PM   #38
raihanan

Angry Re: Linux 7600 GT driver when?

I'm also waiting anxiously for new drivers. I bought a passively cooled 7600GS two weeks ago and am stuck with 1280x1024 vesa on my 1600x1200 LCD monitor. I've always had good experiences with NVidia cards before, but I'm very dissappointed these drivers are so late (weren't they originally promised for "early 2006"?). I'm new here so maybe this has been discussed before, but if NVidia would simply release the specs for their cards, there would have been stable opensource drivers months ago.
Old 04-03-06, 01:53 PM   #39
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Robster,
There is no support for the GeForce 7300, 7600 or 7900 (Go variety or otherwise) in 1.0-8178. If the nvidia X driver is somehow working on yours, I'd guess that its falling back to some generic code path that isn't taking advantage of the full functionality of your card. I'd need to see an nvidia-bug-report.log to be able to comment further.

The next driver should be available in the near future.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 04-03-06, 02:46 PM   #40
siwelwerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster
netllama,
Is it the GeForce 7300 Go that people are struggling with? Or is my system an oddity?
I think your system is an oddity (unless there's a certain option you can specify in xorg.conf to fix the problems). I am running a similar system (7300 GS with 8178 drivers, Gentoo) and the display is buggy in fluxbox--some windows that are out of focus are unreadable, and are only readable when brought back into focus while the mouse pointer is not in the boundaries of that window. It appears to be app specific as some apps (Opera, gaim) work fine, but others such as Thunderbird, Gimp, OpenOffice exert the aforementioned behavior.
Old 04-04-06, 09:53 PM   #41
3vi1

ATI has released three new versions of their driver in the timeframe since nVidia released 8187. It will be four, next week... judging by the timing of their previous releases.

I chose an nVidia card for my new system because they were recognized to have better Linux support/performance. I'm really hoping the performance makes it worth the wait... because I'm dying here.
Old 04-04-06, 11:40 PM   #42
Robster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3vi1
ATI has released three new versions of their driver in the timeframe since nVidia released 8187. It will be four, next week... judging by the timing of their previous releases.

I chose an nVidia card for my new system because they were recognized to have better Linux support/performance. I'm really hoping the performance makes it worth the wait... because I'm dying here.
I've never run an ATI card under Linux, but "the word" is that their driver quality is pretty bad. It seems to be an area where they're running to catch up, and who knows? Maybe they will get there. You pays your money and you makes your choice.

I do have a lot of experience with VIA chipsets and Linux. It has not been pleasant: bad performance primarily, but VIA's Jekyll and Hyde attitude towards Linux is very frustrating. There is a DMA lockup bug with their EPIA products which they initially denied existed, and then they provided BIOS updates to "maybe" fix it, but never have they provided the tech info to the Linux kernel people to work around it. And as for their Unichrome graphics chipset drivers, their Envy audio drivers... just don't get me started.

So, at the risk of being labelled a fanboy, I've migrated all of the dozen or so systems under my control to nVidia. nVidia's "don't ask, don't tell" attitude towards Linux driver releases and bugs therein is just poor customer service in my opinion, but as I see it there is no better alternative, so I just sit back and take what I'm given.

I think your decision will ultimately prove to be the right one
Old 04-05-06, 07:30 PM   #43
3vi1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster
I've never run an ATI card under Linux, but "the word" is that their driver quality is pretty bad. It seems to be an area where they're running to catch up, and who knows? Maybe they will get there. You pays your money and you makes your choice.
I have an ATI card in my older Linux machine. Their drivers really have improved greatly in the last year, with performance increases in just about every monthly release (still not on par with their Windows performance, though). My 9600XT runs almost twice as fast as back when their drivers were really bad.

They also now have a point-and-click graphical installer that you can use to update from within your desktop manager instead of dropping to a command line (though it also works from the command line, if you're not already running X).

I welcome nVidia to leapfrog their installer and keep improving performance to keep their lead there. The competition is win/win for me.
Old 04-06-06, 01:24 AM   #44
joesnow

netllama:
do you think it would be safe to say I can bet on a driver releasing by the 15th this month? or.....what. I have 450$ to spend, and it'd be nice to know if i should wait another month or 2 before dipping into video ;-p

Old 04-06-06, 10:52 AM   #45
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Yes, it would be safe to say the driver will be available by April 15.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 04-06-06, 03:28 PM   #46
xorbe
Unbuffered User

Too bad Newegg is now perpetually out of 7900GT cards...
Old 04-06-06, 03:40 PM   #47
disgruntled

Sorry to have to wite this, but I will beleive in the existance of a driver when I see it. Why is this ?

Well, lets take some examples of info given to me by nvidia representatives or written on nvidia
web pages:

"We release new drivers every couple of months" - Sorry folks, last driver release was in 2005 so
this is false.

"Your question has been received. You should expect a response from us within 24 hours" - Oops,
its now been 72 hours+ and still no reply.

The web page http://www.nvidia.com/object/7_series_techspecs.html lists the 7300, 7600 and 7900
boards as supported under Linux. Bzzz, false again.

Fortunately it sees as though Lonni/Netllama is more trustworthy than many of his collegues so we
might still have a hope for a driver this month...
Old 04-06-06, 04:23 PM   #48
buhammot

Now, being an owner of an Asus EN7900GT, I had purchased this with the intention to run it with linux (Debian, testing (Etch currently)). Well being that the age of the cards upon their release, I would hope that by the 15th they are to be released. Now, given, nVidia has better support when it comes down to kernel usage and freedom vs ATI, but this is almost rediculous.

If someone wanted to present it properly, this is by all means a form of fraud as of current. The release specifications as previously noted clearly claim Linux support, which is false. Whether you have internal drivers that are unable to be released is not a viable "fix" as of yet, as we as the consumer, are unable to access these drivers.

As stated on several lawfirm websites available pubically, (http://www.poznaklaw.com/articles/falsead.htm), they have different forms of fraud available, one to include the category of misrepresentations:

"Misrepresentation occurs when an advertiser makes false or misleading claims about its goods or services, as under the FTC Act and the Lanham Act."

If someone is to read this, they are given all information needed necessary to either purchase the product in question and the series "Geforce 7x00" or to hold their funds until further notice. Someone should see ALL aspects of an investment before commiting, and this would be the aspect in which nVidia has presented.
Closed Thread