Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-22-03, 11:01 PM   #1
rgrashel

Default Total GLX failure on RH 8.1 (Phoebe)

I have been trying to install the 4191 drivers under Phoebe without success. I had the 3123 installed in RedHat 8.0 without problem. I even tried the 3123 drivers under Phoebe, and they don't work. When I try to rpmbuild from the source, this is the error that I get at the end :

Could not open %files file /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/${RPM_PACKAGE_NA****-${RPM_PACKAGE_VERSION}-${RPM_PACKAGE_RELEASE}/debugfiles.list : No such file or directory

Towards the beginning of the rpmbuild run, there is an error displayed, but the rpmbuild keeps going :

/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.96346: line 35 : [: too many arguments

I have no idea what this means. Anyways, then I attempted to install from the .tar.gz files. These compiled cleanly and without error. However, when I reboot, the graphical login will not show ( X won't start ). And there is only a single line at the end of the XFree86.log file that says that the GLX module was being initialized. And then that the server halted with an exit code 11. No other errors.

To make a long story short, I had to comment out the 'Load "glx"' line in my XF86config file in order to get X to start.

However, now I can't really do anything related to GLX (like play games)... since the module isn't loaded.

Someone please help me. I can't be the only one who has seen this problem. Or if the problem can't be solved, then please tell me how I can get back to a vanilla state again. Thanks!

-- Rick Grashel

Kernel 2.4.20-2.2
Athlon XP1900+
512Mb PC2100
Elsa Gladiac 511 (GeForce2 MX/400 - 64Mb)
MSI Mobo
rgrashel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-03, 06:52 AM   #2
bwkaz

Default Re: Total GLX failure on RH 8.1 (Phoebe)

Quote:
Originally posted by rgrashel
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.96346: line 35 : [: too many arguments
I am not positive, but I believe this is indicative of a "strange" RPM version. The script that's running assumes your RPM version is x.x.x, and if yours is only x.x, it will screw this test up. At least, that's one possibility. Not sure how to fix it, though...
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-03, 02:42 PM   #3
tv-casualty

if the RPMs all fail try the source versions.
tv-casualty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-03, 04:50 PM   #4
rgrashel

As I said in my first post :

Anyways, then I attempted to install from the .tar.gz files. These compiled cleanly and without error. However, when I reboot, the graphical login will not show ( X won't start ). And there is only a single line at the end of the XFree86.log file that says that the GLX module was being initialized. And then that the server halted with an exit code 11. No other errors.

So I already attempted to build from the source. However, X dies when it tries to initialize the GLX library. And it dies with only an error stating "server halted with an exit code 11". No other error.
Old 01-24-03, 06:08 PM   #5
lordpil

hi, i just posted a question about compiling on phoebe myself...

i am interested since you seem to have gotten the kernel driver to compile at least? i cannot get it to compile at all...
lordpil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-03, 06:18 PM   #6
bwkaz

Oh, I didn't even see that X segfaulted.

Well... there are a bunch of probable causes for that. Does stepping down your AGP speed help? Are you sure the AGP drive strength is OK in your BIOS? (it very likely is, but you never know...) Are you using agpgart or nvagp for the AGP driver? (you can tell by the Option "NvAgp" line in your XF86Config -- 1 is nvagp, 2 is agpgart, 3 is try agpgart and fallback if it doesn't support the chipset, and 0 is disable AGP completely -- and if there's no line there, the default is 3.)

Which version of X is this? X -version to find out. I wouldn't think anyone at RH would be dumb enough to put something like 4.2.99 in, but you never know...
Old 01-24-03, 07:15 PM   #7
rgrashel

This is version 4.2.99.2 of X. However, this is RedHat's 8.1 beta (Phoebe). So they are releasing it for testing purposes.

Because of this issue, I think I've decided to go back to RH8.0 on my desktop. I think I will wait until the NVIDIA drivers are proven to compile under the newer kernels (2.4.20+) and under the newer versions of X (4.2.99).

It just seems like people are having way too many problems getting these drivers to compile with newer systems. And if the 2D performance sucks anyways... what is the point?

Although, I have to say, I find it quite annoying that a graphics driver would have to be recompiled under a new kernel... especially if the kernel didn't change anything related to the driver itself. It seems very counterintuitive and nonsensical.

It reminds me of the old Windoze OSes where you had to REBOOT the system simply because you changed a network setting as trivial as the IP address. Same kind of thing.

Ah well. Back to 8.0. Thanks for all your input.

-- Rick
Old 01-24-03, 07:26 PM   #8
rgrashel

Quote:
Originally posted by lordpil
hi, i just posted a question about compiling on phoebe myself...

i am interested since you seem to have gotten the kernel driver to compile at least? i cannot get it to compile at all...
I am running Phoebe 8.0.92. As a rule, I *never* install the kernel sources with the initial install. For some reason, I have had much better luck compiling things into the kernel if I manually install the kernel AFTER the initial installation.

In this case, my steps were as follows:

1) Install RH 8.0.92 and reboot.
2) Insert my RH CD #3.
3) Go to the RPMS directory.
4) rpm -Uvh kernel*.rpm
5) download the *.tar.gz of the glx and the kernel files
6) extract the two. make all the kernel and the GLX driver.
7) Make the necessary changes to XF86Config
8) Reboot.

After reboot, X should fail to start. An odd message will be displayed in the XFree86.log file saying that the X server halted with a exit code 11... while initializing the GLX driver.

In the console, log in and go to the XF86Config file... comment out the "Load 'glx'" line. Reboot. X should start. But you will (of course) not be able to run anything using GLX extensions (which defeats the purpose of installing the driver to begin with).

I did go through a process of elimination with the SRPMs and finally got the above steps to work. However, no GLX... even still. Hope that helps.

-- Rick

P.S. The *last* step in the process is to re-install RedHat 8.0.

Old 01-24-03, 11:38 PM   #9
bwkaz

Since it's almost up to 4.3 (or 5, whichever is the next version), it could very well be that the people on the XFree86 team changed some internal functions in a way that nvidia hasn't been able to react to (because they haven't seen it yet). I don't know for sure, but this is what I would suspect.

This is actually the same reason you need to recompile the drivers when you upgrade a kernel -- internal functions change from kernel to kernel, and if the nVidia driver uses any of them, it has to reconfigure itself so that it works (as opposed to, say, crashing your system hard ).