Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-22-06, 09:08 PM   #121
AstroCat

Default Re: Oblivion PC Initial Gameplay / Performance Impressions

Hmmm, from everything I've read and seen the Cat AI standard setting does not degrade any visual quality.
AstroCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 09:08 PM   #122
agentkay

Either disable all OPS on both cards or enable them all on both cards. Thats how valid comparisions are made. GJ OWA!

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 09:13 PM   #123
OWA

Okay, these are a few trying to show the path I took. Not sure how helpful this since it's still hard to tell.

Edit: Looks like the image host isn't holding up well, sorry.

Last edited by OWA; 03-22-06 at 09:26 PM.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 09:17 PM   #124
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroCat
Hmmm, from everything I've read and seen the Cat AI standard setting does not degrade any visual quality.
It's not just me, see the below post where SH64 was comparing the XTX to the 7800 256s he has. Notice his comment on the Cat AI.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...6&postcount=93

Edit: Okay, here is Cat AI on just to keep you happy.

2006-03-22 21:19:41 - Oblivion
Frames: 2363 - Time: 66378ms - Avg: 35.599 - Min: 24 - Max: 49

and for Nvidia, Quality:

2006-03-22 21:24:32 - Oblivion
Frames: 2160 - Time: 65093ms - Avg: 33.183 - Min: 18 - Max: 48
Old 03-22-06, 09:46 PM   #125
Lil Sassy
G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Im having fun with the game, Its alot better the Morrowind but man whoever said the AI was smart hasn't really played the game... The AI in the game is some of the dumbest I have seen.
It was never, ever said to be this killer, super smart ai. As was bashed into my head by devs over and over again and again, it is there to simply breathe life into the world, nothing more. To make the npcs far superior to Morrowind's walking info stations.

Some people took the whole RAI thing and just straight RAN with it.
Still though, a post like this coming from you is a HUGE compliment to Oblivion.

It's called "Kickin Ass"
Lil Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 10:32 PM   #126
OWA

Well, I never play these type games but I'm really liking it. Great detail, the sound/atmosphere is good, overall very, very immersive. I can see how people could spend hours and hours playing it. It's also a lot of fun just exploring.
Old 03-22-06, 11:22 PM   #127
pibrahim

OWA, cheers for the description of where you were benching. My numbers are pretty similar to yours - avg of 42FPS (with my Opty 165 back at stock for the mo). I think the performance in that area is a lot higher than it is elsewhere - doesn't seem to be as much foliage. Once you whack a load of grass in, the framerate drops a lot...

Anyway, at least I know my setup is performing as well as it could be, based on similar setups... cheers for the scores & pics!
pibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 11:36 PM   #128
TheTaz

I've only gotten through the tutorial where Picard get's snuffed and I'm about to enter the sewer.

All I can say is, the gameplay is just effin' AWESOME, So Far!!!

No install problems.

Running smooth as silk with a 6800GT, 1GB Ram, and an AthlonXP 3200+ with default detected settings + turning off HDR and Bloom (Cuz I hate that crap).

-Taz
TheTaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-06, 11:42 PM   #129
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pibrahim
OWA, cheers for the description of where you were benching. My numbers are pretty similar to yours - avg of 42FPS (with my Opty 165 back at stock for the mo). I think the performance in that area is a lot higher than it is elsewhere - doesn't seem to be as much foliage. Once you whack a load of grass in, the framerate drops a lot...

Anyway, at least I know my setup is performing as well as it could be, based on similar setups... cheers for the scores & pics!
No problem. Glad you were able to figure out the path I was trying to describe. I've done most of the my testing in that general area since I've mostly been testing things so far. I didn't want to spoil a lot of the other parts of game by passing through the areas when in "test mode". Actually, I did have fraps on when in the stable area and the framerates there were pretty low and didn't really change even when I changed the res, settings, etc.
Old 03-23-06, 05:20 AM   #130
killahsin

OWA good job. This is what i was trying to say its sketchy to benchmark this game really due to the really funky fps fluctuations. I don't think either card is better then the other for this game in its current form. It's a win win situation for either buyer from their respective parties. Lets just hope that as the engine matures the recompiles and also driver optimizations will stableize some of that load thats creating the fluctuating fps.

That performance test you did is very very unbiased. Good job.
2 x msi 9600 gt oc's @ 760x1950.
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 05:43 AM   #131
Capt. Picard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTaz
I've only gotten through the tutorial where Picard get's snuffed and I'm about to enter the sewer.

All I can say is, the gameplay is just effin' AWESOME, So Far!!!

No install problems.

Running smooth as silk with a 6800GT, 1GB Ram, and an AthlonXP 3200+ with default detected settings + turning off HDR and Bloom (Cuz I hate that crap).

-Taz
How do think it will run with the same setup but with a 6600GT? That's what I have.
Old 03-23-06, 06:27 AM   #132
agentkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
How do think it will run with the same setup but with a 6600GT? That's what I have.
Zoomy has a go6600 in his laptop and from his posts it seems like it runs good and he really enjoys it.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote