Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-23-06, 07:45 AM   #145
Superfly
Retired

Default Re: Oblivion PC Initial Gameplay / Performance Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroCat
Are you sure you have all opts. off in the drivers. I'm sure there is something up.
I doubt it, why would he intentionally reduce the performance to an almost unplayable level??

Sure if the FPS are very high in a game (CSS, Q4 etc etc) then switch those opt's off but when you need all the FPS you can get its just stupid.

unless all you want to do is walk around talking screenshots @ 15fps??
Old 03-23-06, 07:48 AM   #146
killahsin

i have all opts off. heh. And i am quite clearly playing at a playable level.
2 x msi 9600 gt oc's @ 760x1950.
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 07:55 AM   #147
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fujisawa
can u take some screenshots with fraps running in some thick grassy bits please!

thanks
Sure! You will have to wait a while though. I'm at work now.

Read this thread
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/i...ic=282064&st=0

This looks promising for you guys. I haven't tried it, but if I was having the problems that you guys are then I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkey
Tyger, did you re-install Windows after installing your 7900GTX?
I reformated my PC about a month ago with a different card than my 7900. Then when my 7900 came in I just threw it in and installed the drivers on the EVGA CD and haven't touched anything since. I'm really starting to think this is in the drivers thats helping me out.

Also, after I installed Oblivion, I ran a program called ccleaner to clean out all my temps. Oblivion installs a TON of temp files. I don't know if this fixed anything as I never ran the game before i cleaned out the temps(I always clean out my temp files immediately after installs).

Good luck!
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 07:56 AM   #148
Superfly
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by killahsin
i have all opts off. heh. And i am quite clearly playing at a playable level.
thats great, more power to you.

My point was IF a user is getting low FPS and he is switching the opt's off then he only really has himself to blame, switching them back on seems to offer a nice boost.

I have to wait for the UK release date tommorrow before I can try all these things for myself, this is why a lot of my posts are simply based on what others are saying.

Dont feel as though you HAVE to contradict everything I post.
Old 03-23-06, 07:58 AM   #149
killahsin

I apologise for the misunderstanding. I don't mean to contradict everything you post. I thought you were saying that without ops being on the game doesn't run well.
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual
Old 03-23-06, 08:01 AM   #150
Superfly
Retired

roger that - over and out.
Old 03-23-06, 08:08 AM   #151
agentkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody

I reformated my PC about a month ago with a different card than my 7900. Then when my 7900 came in I just threw it in and installed the drivers on the EVGA CD and haven't touched anything since. I'm really starting to think this is in the drivers thats helping me out.

Also, after I installed Oblivion, I ran a program called ccleaner to clean out all my temps. Oblivion installs a TON of temp files. I don't know if this fixed anything as I never ran the game before i cleaned out the temps(I always clean out my temp files immediately after installs).

Good luck!
Can you check in the CP what driver version it is?

Yes I also always recommend to keep the registry clean with CCleaner and/or Registry Mechanic. Addionally defragment the HDD before installing a huge game and defragment it afterwards as well. Another given thing is to shut down as many unnecessary processes (especially the autostarted ones) as possible. Very important on 1GB and slower CPU systems.

I have all of this done, but the game isnīt here yet. :whine:

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 08:26 AM   #152
killahsin

slawter what about these 2.

bForceFullLOD=0
a value of 1 forces foreground trees to always render at the highest detail - I haven't found this to be a huge performance hit for the visual benefit, your mileage may very

iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=2
raise to allow more unique grass types per terrain texture - 4 should be enough to let you see everything possible
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual

Old 03-23-06, 08:57 AM   #153
christos

Slawter, what kind of framrates are you getting outdoors, in a dense grass filled area, when fighting multiple characters? I currently have 7800gt's and am waiting in the evga step-up queue for 7900gtx's sc, and wanted to know what kind of increase I may get. I usually average 20-45fps outdoors, but last night was dropping to 8-15 when faced with the above scenario.

Thanks.
christos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 09:11 AM   #154
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Yeah my framerate drops terribly when there are a lot of characters running and fighting. I wonder if its CPU related or if it has to do with the extremely detailed models and textures.

I'll have to look into actually setting MORE aggressive LOD settings for characters since you most likely dont need to see every tiny specular-mapped link on their chainmail while they nail you with arrows from 20 feet away.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 09:16 AM   #155
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
Yeah my framerate drops terribly when there are a lot of characters running and fighting. I wonder if its CPU related or if it has to do with the extremely detailed models and textures.

I'll have to look into actually setting MORE aggressive LOD settings for characters since you most likely dont need to see every tiny specular-mapped link on their chainmail while they nail you with arrows from 20 feet away.
try using the drivers that came with your EVGA card. You have the exact setup as me(basically). I run completely smooth even in dense grass.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 09:16 AM   #156
christos

For now, I think it's GPU related, at least for me. I have an opteron 165 (dual core) at 2.65ghz. When fighting in lots of grass the load balancer for my sli is maxed out. I worry though when people with sli'd 7900gtx's still aren't getting smooth frame rates.

Has anyone found a way yet to cap the fps? I think if it were capped at let's say 30, swings from 25 to 60 wouldn't be quite as noticeable.
christos is offline   Reply With Quote