Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-21-06, 03:19 PM   #13
UDawg
Retired spammer

Default Re: Oblivion PC Initial Gameplay / Performance Impressions

I have a 6800U with 1g RAM and a 3200 A64. I really want to buy the game but I don't want to sacrifice the eyecandy on my slower rig just to play a fun game. Will I be able to turn up the IQ settings enough on my puter to enjoy this game?
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-06, 03:21 PM   #14
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
No problem. It helps a lot but as you can see from these screenshots, my framerate dropped a bit. I'll probably have to tweak settings some more if I want to use that tweak and continue to play at 1920x1200. Edit: They're not identical though b/c the sword causing a framerate hit. Still, I dropped from the 30s into the 20s with the tweak.

hey OWA..
i have a few questions..

1) Can u walk to the very far hills in the distance ?
2)are there more streamed outdoors behind the visible terrain in those shots without loading a new level ?
3) how about the big Mountain at the background ? is that a 2d bitmap or actually in game outdoors that you can visit ?
4)can u cross the river without using the bridge ? and have contact with water?

For example in guildwars outdoors arent streamed ,but individual atached levels ,with long loading times.THis take away the flow and some of the realism in the game,on the positive side you can go virtually as far as your eyes can see unless your are in a coast.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-06, 03:26 PM   #15
NoDamage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
so are single 7900GTX's
Yeah, I am having real trouble deciding what card to go with. How does your GTX hold up at 1600x1200 HDR noAA with everything else maxed?

Why haven't we seen benchmarks from any site yet?
NoDamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-06, 03:29 PM   #16
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDawg
I have a 6800U with 1g RAM and a 3200 A64. I really want to buy the game but I don't want to sacrifice the eyecandy on my slower rig just to play a fun game. Will I be able to turn up the IQ settings enough on my puter to enjoy this game?
Stay out of this forum Udawg. Your kind(SeaChicken fans) aren't ALLOWED HERE!

(BTW, you should be able to run the game just fine and have a decent amount of eye candy. However you won't be able to run at bleeding edge settings. This is obvious though. Buy the game and enjoy it. )
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-06, 03:35 PM   #17
killahsin

udawg the guy who made the tweaks in my thread has a very similiar setup to you. If you goto that thread and look at the screencaps u will see for yourself.
2 x msi 9600 gt oc's @ 760x1950.
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-06, 03:49 PM   #18
UDawg
Retired spammer

SWEET!

Thanks guys.

BTW ACF CHAMPS!
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-06, 03:51 PM   #19
Mr Fujisawa
I'm whats for dinner

incase you guys havent read it, part of that tweak will much up closeup textures

"NOTE TO EVERYONE:

DO NOT USE the Change the fLandTexturingTilingMult = 0.5000 (2 or 2.5 by default) tweak listed on the front page! While this will cause distant textures to look slightly better, it causes all textures to be stretched massively which seriously degrades the image quality of all textures at close range (or at least the land textures). Again, if you value the way the land textures look at close range, DO NOT change that option in the .ini file!"

example here
http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/8...enshot69mj.jpg
http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/5...enshot76oc.jpg

and note, that is NOT zoomed in, pretty rubbish ey?

uf u leave that line out, the distance still looks better, but u can see the texture tiling pretty bad

EDIT: been posted in the tweaking thread nm
Mr Fujisawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-06, 03:57 PM   #20
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv40
hey OWA..
i have a few questions..

1) Can u walk to the very far hills in the distance ?
2)are there more streamed outdoors behind the visible terrain in those shots without loading a new level ?
3) how about the big Mountain at the background ? is that a 2d bitmap or actually in game outdoors that you can visit ?
4)can u cross the river without using the bridge ? and have contact with water?

For example in guildwars outdoors arent streamed ,but individual atached levels ,with long loading times.THis take away the flow and some of the realism in the game,on the positive side you can go virtually as far as your eyes can see unless your are in a coast.
I had to go in to work. I meant to only take half a day off but ended up going a few hours over that. So, someone else will have to answer some of them or I can later tonight since I have some stuff to do after work.

I did go through the water without using the bridge. You can swim in the water, go underwater, etc.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-06, 04:59 PM   #21
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDawg
We have an AMD 3800+, 2gb ram and a 6800U and it is running smooth as butter at 1280x1024 with everything turned up to the max including draw distances (no AA turned on but instead HDR) according to my son. I think you should be able to run it ok with decent visuals.
Old 03-21-06, 05:12 PM   #22
SigmaOrionis

Does the game contain any kind of built in benchmarking to help you tweak your settings?

Games that are singleplayer and hardware pigs I usually wait and buy them in the bargain bin. That way I can play them when I have nicer hardware and also save 20 bucks on the purchase.
2 GB Corsair ValueSelect
SigmaOrionis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-06, 08:30 PM   #23
betterdan

Ok I just got home and tried the game out myself and at the beginning in the sewers it is getting between 45-50 fps. Outside it is getting between 20-30 fps. Very smooth still and loading is pretty damn quick. No choppiness even in battle.
Old 03-21-06, 08:44 PM   #24
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDamage
Yeah, I am having real trouble deciding what card to go with. How does your GTX hold up at 1600x1200 HDR noAA with everything else maxed?

Why haven't we seen benchmarks from any site yet?
For one thing, benchmarking is no quick and dirty task if done correctly. Secondly, Oblivion randomly generates outdoor areas, dungeons, etc...so you'll essentially never get the same exact "path" over multiple runs. You'd have to run at least a few times through, take an average of that, rinse, repeat. It takes time.

I personally believe that us americans are unable to do so because osama.

People out there in our nation don't have that, And I believe that our education like such as south africa and such as the Iraq.

everywhere "such as". And I believe our education should help the US should help the south africa and the iraq and the asian countries so we can build up our future.
-- Miss Teen South Carolina

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote