Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-27-06, 05:30 PM   #229
swaaye

Default Re: Oblivion PC Initial Gameplay / Performance Impressions

That Count in Skingrad is one FAST mofo.
swaaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-06, 05:42 PM   #230
glObalist
working as intended

Has anyone else encountered a terrible framerate loss (I'm talking about a 4-5 FPS slideshow here) when looking at:

1) One of the ships in the Waterfront.
2) The stables right outside the main city?

These two places are giving me hell when I'm walking past them. This engine, however beautiful, needs a patch very bad IMO.
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-06, 05:44 PM   #231
agentkay

Yes the stables are tough, no matter what direction I look at. Stupid horse AI bogs down the CPU. lol The ships seem to be fine though.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-06, 08:01 PM   #232
OWA

Yeah, the stable is a low-framerate area for me also. Edit: Heh, not 4-5 fps low but low enough it's a pain.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-06, 11:42 AM   #233
Slybri

Although I love this game and I'm having a blast with it, I have to get this rant off my chest....

The problem with this game, I think, was that it was designed for the Xbox360 and ported to the PC. Had they designed it with the average PC in mind they would have made the terrain look good without all the grass. The grass should be an extra option for high end pc's, not an intergral part of the terrain. Without the grass hiding it, the terrain looks awful. With the grass, the game is unplayable on the average PC and sluggish even on high end ones.
Even suggesting the 6800 series as "recommended" is absurd, but that's what it says on the box. Sure, you can run it on a 6800...but it won't be pretty.
The console-itis problem also effects the Interface, which is oversimplified and awful. Huge fonts, limited hotkeys, awkward menus, no nameable save slots, all designed for the 360.
At least the PC version has the Construction Kit and the support of the MOD community, which, I hope, will soon get to work fixing the problems.

Until I see some official patches from Bethseda that improve the performance outdoors, I'm gonna assume that they don't care about the PC market anymore.

I fear this is going to be a growing problem for the next couple years as more games are designed for the next gen consoles in mind and ported to PCs as an afterthought. Maybe DX10, Vista, and better hardware will change that soon.

Last edited by Slybri; 03-28-06 at 11:57 AM.
Slybri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-06, 12:05 PM   #234
swaaye

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/i...owtopic=300177
Old 03-28-06, 12:33 PM   #235
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slybri
Although I love this game and I'm having a blast with it, I have to get this rant off my chest....

The problem with this game, I think, was that it was designed for the Xbox360 and ported to the PC. Had they designed it with the average PC in mind they would have made the terrain look good without all the grass. The grass should be an extra option for high end pc's, not an intergral part of the terrain. Without the grass hiding it, the terrain looks awful. With the grass, the game is unplayable on the average PC and sluggish even on high end ones.
Even suggesting the 6800 series as "recommended" is absurd, but that's what it says on the box. Sure, you can run it on a 6800...but it won't be pretty.
The console-itis problem also effects the Interface, which is oversimplified and awful. Huge fonts, limited hotkeys, awkward menus, no nameable save slots, all designed for the 360.
At least the PC version has the Construction Kit and the support of the MOD community, which, I hope, will soon get to work fixing the problems.

Until I see some official patches from Bethseda that improve the performance outdoors, I'm gonna assume that they don't care about the PC market anymore.

I fear this is going to be a growing problem for the next couple years as more games are designed for the next gen consoles in mind and ported to PCs as an afterthought. Maybe DX10, Vista, and better hardware will change that soon.
There are user made plugins that fix the problems with the interface. They double the amount of items shown at a time in the inventory.

Also, all of their previous games ran like crap on PCs of the time. They are always cutting edge and always make people upgrade.

In fact, Oblivion runs much better than Morrowind when you compare the graphics and draw distance vs. framerate. I get 20fps in Balmora in Morrowind with my draw distance double the normal max. That draw distance is like half of the distance in Oblivion, but in Bruma (much much more detailed scenery) i get the same framerate. I get better FPS in the wilderness as well. Morrowind had significantly less trees and it ran worse

The engine isnt all that efficient as far as CPU load, but it is a nice engine overall.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-06, 06:41 PM   #236
Clay

To those that keep saying Oblivion was "designed for the Xbox 360". That may be so, but wasn't Oblivion in development long before the Xbox 360 was even a twinkle in Microsoft's eye? Sure, they can change things early on, midstream, etc but I see Oblivion as more of a compromise (in certain situations) between the two (PC and Xbox 360) than anything...not some exclusive Xbox 360 effort with the PC version ported as an afterthought. I mean, is the TES Construction Kit available for the Xbox 360? What does that say about the notion that Oblivion was made for the 360?

I personally believe that us americans are unable to do so because osama.

People out there in our nation don't have that, And I believe that our education like such as south africa and such as the Iraq.

everywhere "such as". And I believe our education should help the US should help the south africa and the iraq and the asian countries so we can build up our future.
-- Miss Teen South Carolina

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-06, 08:05 PM   #237
GitDat

Is it just me or do the little demons in Oblivion look like those toe nail fungus things on those commercials? lol
GitDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-06, 11:53 PM   #238
swaaye

No, it was always planned to be a console and PC game. They said that in an interview somewhere. When they saw Morrowind's fantastic Xbox sales, they knew where the money was.
Old 03-29-06, 12:11 AM   #239
superklye

It's been three hours. I thought it had been like 20 minutes. Max.

My God...this game is so deep, so rich, so involving and so freakin' GORGEOUS! I'm running at 1280x1024, most settings high, HDR...and it looks stunning. I'm only using a single card and it's running pretty damn smooth. Over 30FPS average for sure.

I think I'll see what I can get using SLI tomorrow. I'm gonna play a bit longer and pass out in satisfied exhaustion. What an awesome, awesome game.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-06, 01:39 AM   #240
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
It's been three hours. I thought it had been like 20 minutes. Max.

My God...this game is so deep, so rich, so involving and so freakin' GORGEOUS!
Yes IT IS! .. i cant get my hands off it.
yesterday i played for like 5 continous hours & felt like played nothing yet.

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote