Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-29-06, 02:31 AM   #241
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Default Re: Oblivion PC Initial Gameplay / Performance Impressions

I just spent 3 hours doing a few things around the imperial city (STILL!!!) and then I went and pwnd my way to Gladiator in the arena. I have to say, the last 5 fights I did were pretty easy. The only one that was even challenging was the one with the 3 argonian prisoners who were forced to fight for their freedom.

I felt kinda bad for having to kill them... I like the beast races, I play an Argonian myself

After cashing in on everyone elses suffering though, I went and bought all the furniture for my tiny crappy house and then decorated it with all of my great (mostly stolen) stuff. I have half a dozen skulls laying around inside on shelves... and one at the crest of my house, right above the door. Looks pretty cool! Oh, and for people having trouble setting objects against things, it helps to use baskets. I have one in my house now (they put it in with one of the furniture packages) and I have 4 swords in it. It holds them perfectly and it doesnt tip over. Looks awesome too
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-06, 03:06 AM   #242
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
It's been three hours. I thought it had been like 20 minutes. Max.

My God...this game is so deep, so rich, so involving and so freakin' GORGEOUS! I'm running at 1280x1024, most settings high, HDR...and it looks stunning. I'm only using a single card and it's running pretty damn smooth. Over 30FPS average for sure.

I think I'll see what I can get using SLI tomorrow. I'm gonna play a bit longer and pass out in satisfied exhaustion. What an awesome, awesome game.
poor poor Guild wars.

this is my game of choice for now. well, once I get My notebook back together.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-06, 08:36 AM   #243
superklye

Yeah...GW's got NOTHING on this game.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-06, 09:14 AM   #244
zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
Yeah...GW's got NOTHING on this game.

Nope. eventually we gotta playow together. But oblivion kind of put a delay on that
Old 03-29-06, 12:18 PM   #245
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Man... is anyone else very very glad that we have a seperate forum for Oblivion?

220 threads and over 5200 posts and its only been out a week... it already has 1000 more posts than the MMORPG forum.

The gaming forum sure would look crowded right now
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-06, 12:29 PM   #246
zoomy942

yeah. its amazing how many new threads there are here when i log into nvnews in the mornings. just nuts
Old 03-29-06, 02:18 PM   #247
GitDat

So has anyone actually beat the game yet? I wonder how long it takes to beat if you just do the main quests.
GitDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-06, 11:22 PM   #248
superklye

Wow...well, I learned tonight that SLI is the only way to truly enjoy this game. It is SO much smoother with the second GT working, too.

Man...so much to do! I'm lovin' it!
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-06, 12:24 AM   #249
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

yeah too bad they forgot too add SLI recommended for maximum gaming experience.
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-06, 09:28 AM   #250
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
Man... is anyone else very very glad that we have a seperate forum for Oblivion?

220 threads and over 5200 posts and its only been out a week... it already has 1000 more posts than the MMORPG forum.

The gaming forum sure would look crowded right now
Yea, I am too. I didn't think it would be a good idea at first, but now I see it is. However most posts seem more like people complaining rather than actually talking about the game. Reminds me of Battlefield 2 when it was released.....
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-06, 09:10 PM   #251
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
However most posts seem more like people complaining rather than actually talking about the game.
Yeah I don't know what peoples problems are. Seems like with every game that comes out some people just comlain, nothing is good enough for them. If they have such a hard time enjoying games, I have to wonder why they contuinue buying them.

Its as if the game developers didn't actually try to make the best game they could...

Quote:
"Allow me to put it this way:

I've been working on Oblivion since the end of 2002. Every day since then, I've looked at this game, thought about this game, and sweat blood and tears with this game for over 3 years of my 29 year life. My father was diagnosed with cancer, and passed away during the development of TESIV. I've moved 3 times since beginning to work on Oblivion. Heck, I've even moved my desk at work 3 times since production began.

I spent the entirety of last month - and I mean the entirety, working on downloadable content for Oblivion. I'm talking 12+ hours a day, 7 days a week for a month solid. This was just after crunch for TESIV too. Why? I simply want whatever work I do and put into this game, and any game, to be the absolute ****ing best it possibly can be. You all deserve that without question, and no less. I certainly desire the same out of the games I am passionate about.

I just want at least one person - one person out there on this ****ed up, wobbling piece of rock that loves games, that is fed up with all of the bull**** in day to day life, fed up with all of the assholes out there that climb all over each other to get 'ahead', or take their loved ones for granted, or can't see past their own nose to empathize with each other on a human, person-to-person level. I know there's at least one person out there who will see the hard work that we, and that other companies do while making these virtual worlds and sigh to themselves - At last, someone else out there understands.

That's how I felt in the past, when I fist stepped out of Privateer's Hold into the snowy night air. That was how I felt when Iolo first approached me on the streets of Trinsic, or when I was riding the tram into Black Mesa, or when I walked down to the Old Camp along side of Diego. That was how I felt when Garrett said that it was time to begin or when I was trapped in LeChuck's treasure hold.

I know games like those made me content, if only for a little while, when I was a kid, trapped in this world, looking for a temporary way out. I know that those games soothed my soul when my entire spin on life was shaken to its very foundation in college. I feel compelled now to try and give that small bit of comfort in return to others out there that appreciate these kind of details and worlds to explore. Games and music are something I very much believe in and are avenues that I am completely dedicated to in this waking existence.

I am immensely proud of the work we've accomplished with this game. There are, of course, still areas of my work that I wish I had done better, and there probably always will be. No one is as tough on myself and my work as I am. That said, no game is ever perfect, just as in life. That never seems to take the edge off though, does it? I don't think I'll ever stop striving for perfection, no matter how unobtainable it is.

I am also utterly amazed at the growth that Bethesda has gone through since I joined in late 2000. When I started, there were about 15 people huddled at card tables in the back corner of the basement of an office building. We absolutely felt like the retarded, foreign cousin, red-headed stepchild of the company. You know, just nerds doing kid stuff, while the dot com web design boom was touted as the future.

Two years later, we were the only thing keeping us afloat. The end of Morrowind's development was a dark, harrowing experience that would make or break Bethesda. The pressure, from ourselves, and from our fans, could not have been any more poignant and pressing. It was a tremendous relief in the end, to find that we managed to come through and deliver something that, I think it's safe to say, had a largely positive impact on the gaming community.

Afterwards, instead of relaxing and taking the safe road, I think we stepped it up and tried to take the torch even further. We always do the crazy stuff, the stuff that few others want to touch, I'm proud to say. Even though we just made, IMHO, a AAA caliber game and are working with multiple large franchises simultaneously, I still feel like we're the scrappy underdogs.

The reviews coming in for the game (which you will probably see in a short while) have all been phenomenal - across the board. Probably the highest we've ever seen in the company's 20 year history. Certainly the highest I've seen for an RPG in many, many years. It's weird having your life's work for the past 3+ years trivialized with just a few numbers, but it's been oh-so gratifying this time around. Heck, even the strategy guide is ranked in the top 100 of all of Amazon's books. That's unheard of for any strategy guide.

With all that said, do you know what I still want to do? What the first thing I'm going to do Tuesday night when I get home? Fire up the blasted game and play...

No ****.
EVGA Intel X58

Last edited by sillyeagle; 03-31-06 at 06:31 PM.
sillyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-06, 09:40 PM   #252
PaiN
Don't make me MAD!

What can be said after all that silly??? ...but thanks to you and the team, imo Oblivion is about the best game I've ever played.
I am totally lost in the world you all made....
Don't be put off by all the negative.....what you see, even in this large forum is likely only a tiny % of the amount of people playing....and not bitching
Core i5 2500K @ 4.2ghz | EVGA Superclock M020 | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaws X PC1600 | EVGA GTX570 760/1950 | SB X-Fi Xtremegamer | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610w PSU | (2) WD Black 640gb in RAID"0" | MSI SATA DVD-RW | Saitek Eclipse kb | Logi G5v2 mouse / Steelseries QcK | Antec P182 "Gunmetal" | Logitech 5300a THX 5.1 speakers | ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD
-Windows7 64bit
PaiN is offline   Reply With Quote