Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-22-06, 02:20 AM   #61
loafer87gt

Default Re: Oblivion PC Initial Gameplay / Performance Impressions

OK, I'm back again. Tried installing the new 84.21 drivers (was using the old 81.20 before) and eeked out a bit more performance. Not too sure what is up with this, but I decided to turn on 4xAA to see how much of hit AA take in the game and I was floored to see that my frame rates stayed almost exactly the same. Even walking through forests full of swaying trees my FPS is usually ~21-24, and in regular outdoor areas it can hit ~30 FPS and up!! I think this is ptIn heavy combat or casting flare spells near water, however, the frame can dip down into low teens. It seems the biggest FPS hit on my machine comes from the real time lighting effects.

I am going to try and figure out how record some movies in FRAPS.

Wow. Color me very very happy.
loafer87gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 04:06 AM   #62
SH0DAN
SGIRealityEngine

Send a message via ICQ to SH0DAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ev
I like what I am reading and might run out and pick this game up by weeks end.

Any people running on Win XP x64 experiencing any issues? Any show stopping bugs?

None,but I still hope for better performance by getting a 64 bit driver update later today,like I know the 32 bit users will....
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it. -Fred Bastiat-

The last official act of a corrupt government is to loot the nation.

When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.
P. J. O'Rourke

------------------
Q6600 g0 @3.20Ghz 1.30 VOLTS||Tr ULTIMA 90I + ||2X1Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC6400 4-3-3-7@ 400 x 8
BFG 260gtx MAXCORE55 @ 690/1420/2377 ||Asus P5K-Deluxe WiFi AP||Corsair HX520||Nec 2470WNX-BK + LG 1751S|
Lian Li PC-65B + II||Western Digital 150GB RaptorX|| Samsung 750Gb HD x3|| WD 2500KS ||Samsung 183s||SB Audigy 2 ZS||Audio Technica ESW9's +red RSA Predator|G11+MX518
SH0DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 06:07 AM   #63
wysiwyg

hi all

what performance and settings could i get with my rig do u think?

~im worried itll run like treacle on it~

??

thanks.
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 08:16 AM   #64
killahsin

heyas man. I have a xp 64 3000 venice 1g xms dual ddr 400 ram 7900 gt 24 bit hd sblive card lol, and i run the game at max details every bar to the right everything highest setting and i have forced 16x af. And it has never got as choppy as morrowind did on a much better sytem for the time it came out. So you should be around the same perf ratio.

so long as people arent expecting to get 70+ frames constantly in this game they are going to enjoy the experiance big time.
2 x msi 9600 gt oc's @ 760x1950.
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 08:32 AM   #65
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by killahsin
so long as people arent expecting to get 70+ frames constantly in this game they are going to enjoy the experiance big time.
I agree.
Old 03-22-06, 08:38 AM   #66
wysiwyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by killahsin
heyas man. I have a xp 64 3000 venice 1g xms dual ddr 400 ram 7900 gt 24 bit hd sblive card lol, and i run the game at max details every bar to the right everything highest setting and i have forced 16x af. And it has never got as choppy as morrowind did on a much better sytem for the time it came out. So you should be around the same perf ratio.

but u have a 7900 gt

and i just have 2 standard 6800's
Old 03-22-06, 08:49 AM   #67
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

I was startled by how ugly faraway ground textures looked upon exiting the sewers. Applying the grid thing worked sort of but you could still see a significant loss of detail in the distance anyway, and the water reflections were really messed up after doing this. I just left everything at the default "ultra high" (an arguable term) settings and am enjoying the game as such. I don't understand why the texture detail is so incredibly low on extremely visible areas though. The game runs great indoors / in cities, and fairly choppy (but playable) outdoors. In areas with a lot of grass, my frames drop into the low teens. I had to choose between a high grass draw distance or playable framerates, so I've settled with grass magically appearing 30 feet in front of me.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 09:03 AM   #68
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
I was startled by how ugly faraway ground textures looked upon exiting the sewers. Applying the grid thing worked sort of but you could still see a significant loss of detail in the distance anyway, and the water reflections were really messed up after doing this. I just left everything at the default "ultra high" (an arguable term) settings and am enjoying the game as such. I don't understand why the texture detail is so incredibly low on extremely visible areas though. The game runs great indoors / in cities, and fairly choppy (but playable) outdoors. In areas with a lot of grass, my frames drop into the low teens. I had to choose between a high grass draw distance or playable framerates, so I've settled with grass magically appearing 30 feet in front of me.
I really don't know what everyone is talking about with the bad frames outside. My frames always stay smooth outside at 1600x1200. Now granted, I don't use AA but I do use HDR. That and I haven't touched my ini file.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-06, 09:06 AM   #69
pibrahim

Slawter, I agree with you, I don't think SLI is working properly. e.g. if you opt for split frame rendering and display the load balancing bar, the first GPU does around 90% of the screen...

Tygerwoody - do you have every single option maxed out in the Oblivion video menu? And are you forcing AF through the nVidia control panel?
pibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 09:08 AM   #70
Superfly
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Im quite happy to go with the magic grass idea myself, Just cant do low FPS.
Old 03-22-06, 09:15 AM   #71
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly
Im quite happy to go with the magic grass idea myself, Just cant do low FPS.
Yeah ultimately that's the conclusion I arrived at. I might try HDR though, since I'm not using AA anyway.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 09:18 AM   #72
wysiwyg

soz to be a pest again

but what performance and detail can i expect on my rig in my sig?

thanks