Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-22-06, 11:14 AM   #85
christos

Default Re: Oblivion PC Initial Gameplay / Performance Impressions

Another thing to note for SLI users is to be sure to disable vsync if using AFR. I also noticed that for whatever reason, my default profile for oblivion was set to use AFR or AFR2 (can't remember, I'm at work now). I turned on the load balancer, noticed it was hardly moving at all. I created a new profile and switched it to use the other form of AFR and my fps jumped up about 75%.
christos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 11:23 AM   #86
OWA

Yeah, you need vsync off.

Here is a quick comparison I just did since someone was asking if SLI was working.

1920x1200 16xAF HQ, HDR On, Outside, started at the end of the pier and made my way to the prison.

2006-03-22 11:16:15 - Oblivion (SLI: AFR)
Frames: 2911 - Time: 64057ms - Avg: 45.444 - Min: 18 - Max: 75

2006-03-22 11:18:12 - Oblivion (Single-GPU)
Frames: 1622 - Time: 64302ms - Avg: 25.225 - Min: 10 - Max: 40
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 11:29 AM   #87
PaiN
Don't make me MAD!

OMG!! I can't get anything done....I say I'm going to do this or that ques and I always end up onto something completely different. I'm going to have to get alittle self-control or I might have the DragonBlood Amulet forever.
Maybe I should "fast travel" .....but then I might miss something ...errr hehe
Core i5 2500K @ 4.2ghz | EVGA Superclock M020 | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaws X PC1600 | EVGA GTX760SC | SB X-Fi Xtremegamer | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610w PSU | (2) WD Black 640gb in RAID"0" | MSI SATA DVD-RW | Saitek Eclipse kb | Logi G5v2 mouse / Steelseries QcK | Antec P182 "Gunmetal" | Logitech 5300a THX 5.1 speakers | ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD
-Windows7 64bit
PaiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 11:34 AM   #88
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaiN
OMG!! I can't get anything done....I say I'm going to do this or that ques and I always end up onto something completely different. I'm going to have to get alittle self-control or I might have the DragonBlood Amulet forever.
Maybe I should "fast travel" .....but then I might miss something ...errr hehe
LOL...I have the same problem...I'll be travelling towards my destination but see a little ruin off to the side of the road, think "hmm I wonder what's in there?", and check it out. Two hours later, I'm loaded down with loot, have put a few dozen arrows into the backs of my enemies' heads, and am no closer to being the kingdom's savior than before. Heh heh heh.

I absolutely refuse to fast travel. Maybe once I've explored everything.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 12:13 PM   #89
|MaguS|

Im having fun with the game, Its alot better the Morrowind but man whoever said the AI was smart hasn't really played the game... The AI in the game is some of the dumbest I have seen. All those "random" events are scripted, when the player comes into play the game gets STUPID.

Heres some examples...

1) I was able to steal the guards horse after he witnessed me killing a bandit and ignoring the fact that A) I was under attack (didn't help me) and B) I killed someone (didn't even mention it after the fight was over, just got off his horse), After I stole his horse he did nothing, just stand there... When I returned and got off his horse he just got on and rode off....

2) I refused to help the paranoid guy in the town and when he went off killing people I steped in and saved a lady... She ignored that fact or the fact that I killed him right infront of her. When asked about him she just stated "He was found dead".... all guards give the same response aswell.

3) AI only knows one thing in combat... come after you swining. Even casters like Summoners and Magicians go straight at you with daggers insted of trying to keep a distance from you while hitting you with fireballs. Those robes must have a high AC....

So the AI is dumb... but its still fun, I love how the game looks without bloom. Models still suck ass (worse I have seen in a AAA title in a long time) and the horse riding animations are just plain bad (If Zelda_Fan doesn't agree that Z:OOT had better animations then I will be disappointed in him). I do like how I can look around while riding a horse, something many games lacked.

I like the fighting mechanics aswell, I like how I can hold block and then do a quick swipe with my sword. No clue on why an Axe is a blunt weapon... could have sworn they had sharp edges on the head... Casting is great aswell but I think might be too powerful, Flare at first level can take out almost all goblins in a single hit, the heal spell is just overkill... I never use potions at all... just back up and heal.

The game looks great outdoors, I really love the enviroments. Indoors could have used some work (notice alot of lowres textures) but the vast outdoors is just amazing. The game performs great for me, It loads realyl dam quick and I have yet to see it hitch at all with max ingame settings (HDR on, AA off) @ 1280x1024. I barely notice the jaggies thanks to the HDR and well just not looking for them.

Fun game... far from flawless but better then what I had planned it to be. Glad I downloaded it (legally )...
Old 03-22-06, 12:31 PM   #90
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Sounds good

I knew the AI wouldnt be perfect. I mean, Daggerfall had none, and Morrowind's was terrible. After dealing with the extremely huge holes in Daggerfall's gameplay the past week (running in circles around groups of guards to bunch them up so you can hit them all with a single swing of your sword), those downs you listed barely even register on the "dumb AI" scale. Still, they are there, the game isnt perfect. This is why TES5 is already in the works

Also, for dialog type things like people not acknowledging when you murder someone in front of them, these could be changed in a patch or even a user made plugin. Maybe not with new dialog, but Im sure someone will figure something out if these get too anoying.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 01:03 PM   #91
PaiN
Don't make me MAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
I absolutely refuse to fast travel. Maybe once I've explored everything.
Same here.....There's just too much that could be missed
Core i5 2500K @ 4.2ghz | EVGA Superclock M020 | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaws X PC1600 | EVGA GTX760SC | SB X-Fi Xtremegamer | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610w PSU | (2) WD Black 640gb in RAID"0" | MSI SATA DVD-RW | Saitek Eclipse kb | Logi G5v2 mouse / Steelseries QcK | Antec P182 "Gunmetal" | Logitech 5300a THX 5.1 speakers | ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD
-Windows7 64bit
PaiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 01:26 PM   #92
pibrahim

Agree about indoors areas. Playing through the prison and the sewer areas at the beginning, I thought the game looked awful, quite frankly. Luckily it looks a lot better outside... if only the FPS wouldn't drop quite so much.
pibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-06, 01:29 PM   #93
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaiN
Same here.....There's just too much that could be missed
I also agree, I ride or walk everywhere. The only time I used the quicktravel was around a single town (traveling between gates) because I lost my horse
Old 03-22-06, 02:15 PM   #94
killahsin

I had to kill a horse i stole. poor thing got in my way when a gremlin-like thing came after me. I have found that the ai is both smart and stupid. Especially when you turn the diffculty slider all the way up. DPS chars hit me with combos, archers kite me lol. And damn the whole damn town constantly watching me to make sure i don't steal stuff.
2 x msi 9600 gt oc's @ 760x1950.
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 02:55 PM   #95
Superfly
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Just in a spot check, SLI almost doubled my framerate but even with that, the framerate was still pretty low (outside area). I've been playing with the load balancer on and there are areas where SLI doesn't seem to be helping much though.
Can you confirm that the X1900 cards are significantly faster than the 79's in this game??

do the 79's feel bugged?
Old 03-22-06, 03:09 PM   #96
killahsin

superfly i don't think anyone can confirm that anyone who says their card runs the game smooth as butter is blatantly lying heh. The outdoor areas max out based on card. I do not think for a year or so your going to see any system running it smooth as butter in a dense foliage super draw distance area(which is where everyone including the x1900s issues are) the fact is when atis next card and nvidias next card come out the bars wil scale outward even more to the areas we are using tweaks to push them to now, heh.
2 x msi 9600 gt oc's @ 760x1950.
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote