Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-24-06, 07:46 PM   #145
SH0DAN
SGIRealityEngine

Send a message via ICQ to SH0DAN
Default Re: Oblivion Tweaking

Does anyone know aht these settings in the INI file do ??

here they are:

bUseHardDriveCache=0
bEnableBoundingVolumeOcclusion=0
bDisplayBoundingVolumes=0
bUseThreadedTempEffects=0
bUseThreadedParticleSystem=0

All are set to 0 on my sig system...
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it. -Fred Bastiat-

The last official act of a corrupt government is to loot the nation.

When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.
P. J. O'Rourke

------------------
Q6600 g0 @3.20Ghz 1.30 VOLTS||Tr ULTIMA 90I + ||2X1Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC6400 4-3-3-7@ 400 x 8
BFG 260gtx MAXCORE55 @ 690/1420/2377 ||Asus P5K-Deluxe WiFi AP||Corsair HX520||Nec 2470WNX-BK + LG 1751S|
Lian Li PC-65B + II||Western Digital 150GB RaptorX|| Samsung 750Gb HD x3|| WD 2500KS ||Samsung 183s||SB Audigy 2 ZS||Audio Technica ESW9's +red RSA Predator|G11+MX518
SH0DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-06, 08:23 PM   #146
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos
When I've been doing to benchmark is:

1 - Load my saved game from immediately exiting the first dungeon. I then check what my FPS is before I even move. It started out around 35 before all tweaks. It is now at 42. I then walk in a straight line to a certain point and check the average (using fraps).

2 - Load a saved game that i have in a heavily grassy, lots of trees area where there's a wolf straight in front of me. I move backwards while swinging my sword at it.

Most of the tweaks posted yesterday and today have greated help my average fps in scenario #2.

I currently have no issues indoors or in most parts of cities.

I'm still awaiting my step up from EVGA, but for now the game went from barely playable at max, to very playable with my 7800 gt's.
Did you use the settings from the first post or the 2nd one. The first one had lower numbers.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-06, 08:40 PM   #147
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Lightbulb Re: Oblivion Tweaking

None of those Threaded tweaks gave me anything
Old 03-24-06, 09:04 PM   #148
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=DVS=-
None of those Threaded tweaks gave me anything
Yeah, didn't seem to help me either. Oh well, it was worth a shot.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-06, 09:06 PM   #149
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH0DAN
I have been using 130 and find it a great tradeoff and good performance booster as well,thanks allot for the heads up !!
Seconded!! that grass density tip is one of the best tips i found here for improving performance!! i'm using 130 too.

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-06, 09:39 PM   #150
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfloyd
Has anyone figured out what the "Queued Count" in the debug display (console->'tdt') stands for. Is it the number of undrawn objects ? I noticed that when the value is high (and steadily decreasing), I see popups as more objects are drawn. If this is what it is, then it might be a useful tool to analyze the multithreaded tweaks.
I think the Queued Count is the number of resources queued for background loading. This will happen as you move into a new load zone, and depending on your frame rate, take a period of time until those resources are loaded. The game tries to prevent background loading from slowing the game.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-06, 12:12 AM   #151
christos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Did you use the settings from the first post or the 2nd one. The first one had lower numbers.

Actually, after playing around with it tonight, the #'s which are working best for me so far are (aside from all the other tweaks you guys have discovered):

bUseThreadedBlood=1
bUseThreadedMorpher=1
bUseHardDriveCache=0 (default)
bUseThreadedTempEffects=1
bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1
iPreloadSizeLimit=104857600
iNumHavokThreads=1 (default)
iThreads=20
iOpenMPLevel=20

I'm using a dual core (opteron @ 2.65ghz), 2 GB ram, 7800 gt sli. With the above settings, I definitely have an improvement with characters/animals/enemies on the screen. Previously, when you first arrive outside, when you go left, there's a spot with 3 deer. When I first installed the game, my fps would drop to 15-20 when these deer were running around on the screen. Now, my fps stay 35-45, the same speed as it is without the deer.

I guess in theory, these settings are using the multiple processors and ram to a greater degree, limiting or even removing the stuttering I would previously experience. Who knows though, I could be delusional.
christos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-06, 01:08 AM   #152
JamesDax

Send a message via MSN to JamesDax

Has anyone posted a complete tweak guide anywhere. Trying to follow everything in this post isn't doing it for me. Also, does it matter what gpu your using when doing these tweaks? Will they work as well for a 6200/6600 as they do for a 7900GTX? Thanks.

eMachine W2686 (upgraded) c/
Albatron KM51G
Athlon64 3000+(Venice) Socket 754 2.0Ghz
Corsair XMS 1GB 2x512Mb DDR 400
80Gb Hard Drive (ATA 133/7200rpm)
DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
7-in-4 Media reader
eVGA GeForce 7600GS
Artic-Cooling Arctic Fan 3 TC (80mm case fan)
XION 400 Watt PSU
Pixie 950 19" Monitor
Windows XP HE SP2
JamesDax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-06, 01:25 AM   #153
killahsin

there isn't really a way to make it a complete guide just a bunch of tweaks and what they do. all tweaks have nothing to do with the cards used but with the engine itself. They are all visual tweaks. A complete guide to tweaking would be single system specific as the eprformance varies in this game massively. It's why i don't think its a good benchmark game yet, but im sure tons will use it anyways as some sort of benchmark.
2 x msi 9600 gt oc's @ 760x1950.
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-06, 01:30 AM   #154
Clay

Default Oblivion INI Editor (OIE)

I've *quickly* thrown together what I'm calling the Oblivion INI Editor (OIE). It's just a bare bones INI file editor but some might find it handy.

NOTE: Consider this version as a "pre-alpha".

It works, but it is currently hard coded to look for your Oblivion INI file in this exact path: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini

This stinks I know but I will try to update soon to allow you to just pick your Oblivion.ini file and it will use that path. However, it really should be the correct path for most users.

Download here --> Oblivion INI Editor *pre-alpha* ~18K

Requirements:
- .NET Framework 2.0
- That your path to the Oblivion.ini file is exactly this: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini
- Make a backup of your Oblivion.ini file.

Installation:
- Just unzip to a directory of your choice.
- Run OblivionIniEditor.exe
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-06, 02:26 AM   #155
JamesDax

Send a message via MSN to JamesDax
Default Re: Oblivion INI Editor (OIE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
I've *quickly* thrown together what I'm calling the Oblivion INI Editor (OIE). It's just a bare bones INI file editor but some might find it handy.

NOTE: Consider this version as a "pre-alpha".

It works, but it is currently hard coded to look for your Oblivion INI file in this exact path: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini

This stinks I know but I will try to update soon to allow you to just pick your Oblivion.ini file and it will use that path. However, it really should be the correct path for most users.

Download here --> Oblivion INI Editor *pre-alpha* ~18K

Requirements:
- .NET Framework 2.0
- That your path to the Oblivion.ini file is exactly this: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini
- Make a backup of your Oblivion.ini file.

Installation:
- Just unzip to a directory of your choice.
- Run OblivionIniEditor.exe
Sweet.

eMachine W2686 (upgraded) c/
Albatron KM51G
Athlon64 3000+(Venice) Socket 754 2.0Ghz
Corsair XMS 1GB 2x512Mb DDR 400
80Gb Hard Drive (ATA 133/7200rpm)
DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
7-in-4 Media reader
eVGA GeForce 7600GS
Artic-Cooling Arctic Fan 3 TC (80mm case fan)
XION 400 Watt PSU
Pixie 950 19" Monitor
Windows XP HE SP2
JamesDax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-06, 05:22 AM   #156
pingu2

I started making a proggie to hook the keyboard and change oblivion.ini on the fly while in game.. problem is that the file is marked as read only while oblivion is running and even if I got round that part, I am not sure that oblivon will repoll the file..

would be better if there are console commands for changing these settings in game - anyone know about that? if so I might write something I find it very awkward to have to go back to ini file and restart oblivion etc every time I try a new change!
pingu2 is offline   Reply With Quote