Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-22-06, 09:06 PM   #61
KingElessar20

Default Re: Oblivion Tweaking

Yes. I did edit the correct file in "my documents." I am not that stupid. If I didn't edit the right file, it would not work at all.

The .ini modification did extend the distance, but it results in my character freezing after a couple of minutes of walking around. If I stood still, I would not freeze. It usually happens at the same spot in the terrain--sometimes at the second brief loading screen for outdoor zones. If it works, and if there is a change, then why would you ask me if I'm editing the proper Oblivion folder? Obviously I did, because there is a change.

I changed the name because I backed up the original. The name of the orignial .ini file is "Oblivion." The name of the modified one is "Oblivion2." I pull the original out of the folder to the desktop and keep "Oblivion2" in the Oblivion folder. My question is whether this is relevant. Does it even matter?

My main gripe is the following: I'm implementing the changes like everyone else is, but unlike everyone else, my character gets caught on the terrain.

I hope this makes my problem a little clearer. Thank you. I am desperate for some sort of help.
KingElessar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 09:53 PM   #62
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingElessar20
My main gripe is the following: I'm implementing the changes like everyone else is, but unlike everyone else, my character gets caught on the terrain.

I hope this makes my problem a little clearer. Thank you. I am desperate for some sort of help.
I haven't had that particular problem...yet...but I've had various other weird issues crop up from tweaking the ini. A lot of the tweaks that I thought would help LOD (or extend the distance for the grass for example) end up causing major issues for me. I've gone back to the original file for now b/c of it.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 12:07 AM   #63
Clay

Been playing around with the INI settings. My INI file is attached to this message (changed to TXT extension in order to upload).

The shots below deal specifically with uGridDistantTreeRange, uGridDistantCount, and uGridsToLoad.

Overall settings are: 1920x1200, HDR, 16AF forced via NVCPL, modified INI

You can get the full size shots as well as more gradual value changes to these settings here (~38MB). Below are just the defaults compared to some crazy high values. Performance is not considered here though you can see the FRAPS FPS in the shots for whatever that's worth.

SCENE #1
Default INI Values
uGridDistantTreeRange=15
uGridDistantCount=25
uGridsToLoad=5

Very Large INI Values
uGridDistantTreeRange=100
uGridDistantCount=200
uGridsToLoad=11

SCENE #2
Default INI Values
uGridDistantTreeRange=15
uGridDistantCount=25
uGridsToLoad=5

Very Large INI Values
uGridDistantCount=200
uGridsToLoad=11

SCENE #1 CROPS FROM 1920x1200 PNG
Default INI Values
uGridDistantTreeRange=15
uGridDistantCount=25
uGridsToLoad=5

Very Large INI Values
uGridDistantCount=200
uGridsToLoad=11

Default INI Values
uGridDistantTreeRange=15
uGridDistantCount=25
uGridsToLoad=5

Very Large INI Values
uGridDistantCount=200
uGridsToLoad=11

SCENE #2 CROPS FROM 1920x1200 PNG
Default INI Values
uGridDistantTreeRange=15
uGridDistantCount=25
uGridsToLoad=5

Very Large INI Values
uGridDistantCount=200
uGridsToLoad=11

Default INI Values
uGridDistantTreeRange=15
uGridDistantCount=25
uGridsToLoad=5

Very Large INI Values
uGridDistantCount=200
uGridsToLoad=11
Attached Files
File Type: txt Oblivion.txt (17.7 KB, 3408 views)

I personally believe that us americans are unable to do so because osama.

People out there in our nation don't have that, And I believe that our education like such as south africa and such as the Iraq.

everywhere "such as". And I believe our education should help the US should help the south africa and the iraq and the asian countries so we can build up our future.
-- Miss Teen South Carolina

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 12:17 AM   #64
OWA

Excellent comparison Clay. Thanks!
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 12:20 AM   #65
Clay

No problem. It's pretty interesting to see some of the things that appear when you go that high with those settings. Even at uGridDistantTreeRange=60, uGridDistantCount=100, and uGridsToLoad=9 this scene still looked like the first shot below (without the model that shows up at 100,200,11 respectively in the second shot).

People out there in our nation don't have that, And I believe that our education like such as south africa and such as the Iraq.

everywhere "such as". And I believe our education should help the US should help the south africa and the iraq and the asian countries so we can build up our future.

Old 03-23-06, 12:33 AM   #66
Clay

I went ahead and uploaded a zip file of all the shots above with the original 1920x1200 PNGs as well as some in-between settings. The file names first two numbers indicate the INI settings. For example:

u100-200-11-02.png should be read like this...

uuGridDistantTreeRange-uGridDistantCount-11-02.png

For the "11-02" part above...11 indicates the uGridsToLoad. If it's not there then the default setting of 5 was used. The 02 part is just the scene number.

Screenshots (~38MB)

Old 03-23-06, 12:59 AM   #67
techfloyd

From the official forums, a fix for lags and stutters. This seems to help a bit with the frame rates and stuttering issues and the annoying mouse lag on nvidia cards. Not sure about the ATI equivalent.

In Additional Direct3d Settings (NVCPL), set "maximum number of frames to render ahead" to 0 from the default value of 3. Edit: It seems the correct way to test this is to start with a value of 2 and keep on decreasing until the lag is gone. It doesn't terribly improve the frame rate (think it actually hurts it) but just removes lag problems. Advisable only if you have a less powerful card.
techfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 02:43 AM   #68
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfloyd
From the official forums, a fix for lags and stutters. This seems to help a bit with the frame rates and stuttering issues and the annoying mouse lag on nvidia cards. Not sure about the ATI equivalent.

In Additional Direct3d Settings (NVCPL), set "maximum number of frames to render ahead" to 0 from the default value of 3. Edit: It seems the correct way to test this is to start with a value of 2 and keep on decreasing until the lag is gone. It doesn't terribly improve the frame rate (think it actually hurts it) but just removes lag problems. Advisable only if you have a less powerful card.
Heh, this is very common. I always have mine set to 0. Basically, the default (and higher) can boost your framerates sometimes, but at the expense of input\mouse lag. Id much rather have outright lower fps than even a millisecond of mouse lag.

I did it for Oblivion and it helped tremendously when the framerates arent too high.

BTW guys, been playing and tweaking ALL NIGHT. This game is freaking amazing! Im totaly beat right now, so all I can think of is sleep, but wow... this game is deffinitely everything I had hoped for

I've been running it very smoothly (for this kind of game) at 1280x960 all settings maxed+HDR, 8xAF, some minor .ini tweaks (so water reflects trees, objects, etc). Even in the cities and very grassy areas. I had it drop pretty low some times, but its not too bad. I played the game at 1600x1200 with the same settings up until I started running around outside and tweaking.
More than anything I want the distant textures to be sharper, but I get a lot of stupid bugs when I start messing with the uGridsToLoad setting. The bugs usually involve people coming into the scene without clothing or weapons showing (though they still have them), or strange movement glitches. On top of that it makes loading slower and hurts the framerate. I dont think this is the best way to sharpen up the blurry distant textures... I really hope someone finds an alternative.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-06, 04:03 AM   #69
killahsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingElessar20
Yes. I did edit the correct file in "my documents." I am not that stupid. If I didn't edit the right file, it would not work at all.

The .ini modification did extend the distance, but it results in my character freezing after a couple of minutes of walking around. If I stood still, I would not freeze. It usually happens at the same spot in the terrain--sometimes at the second brief loading screen for outdoor zones. If it works, and if there is a change, then why would you ask me if I'm editing the proper Oblivion folder? Obviously I did, because there is a change.

I changed the name because I backed up the original. The name of the orignial .ini file is "Oblivion." The name of the modified one is "Oblivion2." I pull the original out of the folder to the desktop and keep "Oblivion2" in the Oblivion folder. My question is whether this is relevant. Does it even matter?

Ok i am betting your computer is not fully loading the grid extension and your getting caught in the grid as it loads.
2 x msi 9600 gt oc's @ 760x1950.
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 07:44 AM   #70
AstroCat

Yeah, I get the same errors when using uGridsToLoad= My water reflections can get totally out of whack. Shame really as there has to be a command to keep the water and everything else in line with the uGridsToLoad command.
AstroCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 07:46 AM   #71
killahsin

yeah but thats what i am not understanding. Is a grid is everything constained in the grid including water. It has to be somthing going wrong in the pipe.

Can anyone else confirm that they are getting the same water reflection issue that astro linked in his screenshot? Astro was that reflection error seen on both of your cards ati and nvidia?
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual
Old 03-23-06, 08:10 AM   #72
killahsin

I have updated the first post with other tweaks and hardware related fixes. Including mouse lag matrix like bullet time bug from game controllers and also put in a link before the ini tweaks to astrocats grid to load issue. I would appreciate if people could check their hardware and see if we can isolate if its an all around issue to gridstoload or somthing else.
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual