Marvel_us
FOOL!

Default Re: Oblivion Tweaking

How are people's performance with the

uGridDistantTreeRange=100
uGridDistantCount=200
uGridsToLoad=11
?

My load times increase and performance drops a bit but this tweak is a keeper.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 07:14 PM   #98
enoch

Hi Guys,

I posted this over at the elderscrolls forums but no one has replied yet so I figured I'd post it over here too. I think I've found a fix for the water problem when using uGridsToLoad to improve texture quality. Make sure that you've got uNumDepthGrids set to 3 (the default value), then set bUseWaterDepth=0.

the only thing I've noticed so far is that some of the distant water reflections look wrong, but I'm not sure that's caused by bUseWaterDepth=0. Anyone want to give it a try and let me know how it works? I've still got a lot of testing to do.

Enoch
enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 08:05 PM   #99
AstroCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by enoch
Hi Guys,

I posted this over at the elderscrolls forums but no one has replied yet so I figured I'd post it over here too. I think I've found a fix for the water problem when using uGridsToLoad to improve texture quality. Make sure that you've got uNumDepthGrids set to 3 (the default value), then set bUseWaterDepth=0.

the only thing I've noticed so far is that some of the distant water reflections look wrong, but I'm not sure that's caused by bUseWaterDepth=0. Anyone want to give it a try and let me know how it works? I've still got a lot of testing to do.

Enoch
Tested. Sorry but does not fix the reflections corruption. Keep trying! We'll get there!
AstroCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 08:16 PM   #100
enoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroCat
Tested. Sorry but does not fix the reflections corruption. Keep trying! We'll get there!
Yeah, I meant the water fill bug where tiles of water were missing with higher uGridsToLoad values. I'm trying to figure out a way to deal with the reflection bug. It seems to only happen on distant water as far as I can tell right?
enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 09:21 PM   #101
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

EDIT 3 : see next post

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com

Last edited by SH64; 03-23-06 at 09:49 PM.
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 09:51 PM   #102
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Ok after messing around i found out that with 6.3 cats & 84.25 FW i get softshadows unlike with the older drivers of both graphics vendors , but with ATI the IQ seems to lack AF (AF is either not working or working @4xAF) while when enabling shadow on grass i get decent framerate with ATi with some graphical glitches , but with nVIDIA its works quite good but performance is somewhat poor.

if you understood something from the above please let me know

Old 03-23-06, 10:53 PM   #103
AstroCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by enoch
Yeah, I meant the water fill bug where tiles of water were missing with higher uGridsToLoad values. I'm trying to figure out a way to deal with the reflection bug. It seems to only happen on distant water as far as I can tell right?
No it can happen close up to. Just go to the left of the ruins across from the sewer entrance. It will happen there every time.
Old 03-23-06, 10:54 PM   #104
AstroCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH64
Ok after messing around i found out that with 6.3 cats & 84.25 FW i get softshadows unlike with the older drivers of both graphics vendors , but with ATI the IQ seems to lack AF (AF is either not working or working @4xAF) while when enabling shadow on grass i get decent framerate with ATi with some graphical glitches , but with nVIDIA its works quite good but performance is somewhat poor.

if you understood something from the above please let me know
I set the CCC 8xAFHQ. In game I don't think there is an AF setting, is there?
I just tried shadow on grass and I didn't see any problems. Screenshot of issues?

Old 03-23-06, 11:01 PM   #105
tutu

I've tried some of these tweaks but only found the bAllowScreenShot=1 and bUseJoystick=0 to be useful. Increasing the range at which decent textures or more trees drawn seems to drastically reduce the performance on my system - ranging from 9 FPS to 20 FPS outdoors.

At the moment I have the default oblivion.ini with the game settings maxed out, 8x AF at 1280*1024 and I get a constant 30 FPS outdoors. I would have hoped for better performance - I hope nVidia can get something out of their hat to improve it. I would be very interested in seeing some benchmarks (e.g. 7800 GTX vs 7900 GTX, SLI vs Single).

I've still got a few more things I can try - I would like to play the game
Samsung SyncMaster 930BF 19" 4ms LCD
tutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 11:15 PM   #106
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
I set the CCC 8xAFHQ. In game I don't think there is an AF setting, is there?
I just tried shadow on grass and I didn't see any problems. Screenshot of issues?
1) Yes AF is not working although its set to 8x/16xAF in the CCC.
2) Screenshots wont show the issue .. what happens actually is grass blinking/flashing .. this dosent happen with nVIDIA. i tried both 6.2 & 6.3 cats.

for exmaple the grass flashes here .. this isnt suppose to happen!

Old 03-24-06, 12:15 AM   #107
AstroCat

Hmmm, are you sure there is no AF, I'm getting some performance hit when it's on. Are you sure it's working on either 7900 or x1900xtx even though your getting the performance hit?

Also, I looked for blinking grass but didn't see any. I can look again tomorrow.

Screenshots of AF comparisons would be really good to know. Because if the performance hit is there but AF isn't happening it would be good for all to know, on 7x00 and x1900xtx.
Old 03-24-06, 12:35 AM   #108
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Hmmm, are you sure there is no AF, I'm getting some performance hit when it's on. Are you sure it's working on either 7900 or x1900xtx even though your getting the performance hit?

Also, I looked for blinking grass but didn't see any. I can look again tomorrow.

Screenshots of AF comparisons would be really good to know. Because if the performance hit is there but AF isn't happening it would be good for all to know, on 7x00 and x1900xtx.
Yes i'm quite positive theres no AF on the X1900 (it was working on the 6.2 though) .. i'll get some screenshots tomorrow.