Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-23-06, 02:36 PM   #25
Garulfo

Default Re: Frame rate and SLI problems

Ok here are screenshots on me standing up close to a wall in a house somewhere. 4 screenshots total with different SLI settings:

SLI ON - Coolbits NOT installed - Using Official/default Nvidia's Oblivion
http://www.picfury.com/2/SLI%20On%20...FR%20on-1.html
FPS:215

SLI OFF - Coolbits NOT installed - Using Official/default Nvidia's Oblivion
http://www.picfury.com/2/SLI%20Off%2...FR%20on-1.html
FPS:246

SLI ON - Coolbits NOT installed - Using Official/default Nvidia's Oblivion http://www.picfury.com/2/SLI%20on%20...oolbits-1.html
FPS:221

SLI OFF - Coolbits NOT installed - Using Official/default Nvidia's Oblivion profile
http://www.picfury.com/2/SLI%20disab...oolbits-1.html
FPS:241

As you can see I seem to actually lose FPS, and quite a bit, by turning SLI on. The FPS are all very high (200) but keep in mind that 1)I am standing in front of a wall, and 2)My FPS is always ok, I jsut would like to make my freakin SLI work. Even if it is jsut al ittle bit. I gotta justify the $700 expense somehow...

I also benchmarked with Fraps while running around in the building I was in, always on the same path, for 25 seconds. I got an Avg of 81FPS SLI OFF, and I got 79FPS SLI ON. So very close overall. But still a bit lower, or equal.

I am desperate here. Why would SLI reduce my FPS. An average of 5 to 10 extra FPS with SLI on, and I will die a happy man...
Garulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 02:56 PM   #26
Epyx

Pick a highly detailed area in the city where framerate is clearly dropping and do another quick comparison...a wall might not be the best test based on those 200+frames you have maxed your GPU and its pretty much all cpu at that point.

Just one more test which I know must be getting old fast

Then I would suggest re-installing Oblivion...
8800GTX
Enermax 565P
20" 1680x1050 LG
42" 1920x1080 Westy
50" 1280x768 Sony
Epyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 03:04 PM   #27
Garulfo

I did a run of 60 seconds in Cheysomething (forgot the exact name of the city). I put every single slider to the maximum, all the shdows on high etc...

My avg FPS went down from an average of 5o around 40.

SLI on gave me 41
SLI off gave me 40.5

I am certain that the FPS is actually equal, the small difference would be from me not following the absolutely exact same path without doing a single different head bob that will lot that small extra texture a lower the average.

So... No luck there.

Also before doing the latest screenshots and benchmarks I uninstalled the drivers, deleted the folder, also used Driver Cleaner Pro to get rid of everything, and did a clean install. There was no change as you could see in the screenshots. I also tried to use the Xtreme G Tweakerizer that changes the 84.25 drivers. No changes whatsoever either.

I am going to try and launch another game and do some testing see if I gain FPS there.

Do you know if one of the game in t he following list (recent games I own) support and officially make use of SLI? :
Age of Empire 3
Splinter Cell Chaos Theroy
CoD2
Dungeon Lords
Fable

I guess I will start with CoD2 since it is already installed.

**EDIT**
Well same thing happens in CoD2. 39FPS average (NO SLI) and 38avg (with SLI enabled)...

I think it can only be one of 2 things
1)I do not understand how to activate and desactive SLI and/or do not udnerstand how to force AFR. Although it sounds pretty obvious and I get the 2 white lines + green bobbing column while playing in AFR... It doesn't seem likely, butit woudl explain the exact same Frame rates...

2)One of my cards is busted. They both install perfectly though, when installing the drivers...

Sicne I get the same resultsi n CoD2, I really don't think it comes from the game installation. Next thing I am going to try is to take a video card out, psysically. If I still get the same FPS rates then I will know for sure that even with SLI on my machine only uses the capacities of one card... And I do not think it could come from the drivers since I have installed and reinstalled them at least 12 times so far, testing the 84.21, 84.25 and even older (81.XX) version. Testing with or with nHancer, with or without Coolbits... The more I think about it the more I think I am just doing something plain wrong in the SLI control panel...

Worst comes to worst I will soon have a video card for sale...

Last edited by Garulfo; 03-23-06 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-23-06, 03:28 PM   #28
LBJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garulfo
**EDIT**
Well same thing happens in CoD2. 39FPS average (NO SLI) and 38avg (with SLI enabled)...
with COD2 you have to enable SLI in the game its self.

I play at 1600x1200 and get 90 fps in SLI while in single card mode I only get 30 fps. this is with dual 7800 gtxs

wishing for an ARM based desktop.
LBJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 03:34 PM   #29
christos

Quote:
1)I do not understand how to activate and desactive SLI and/or do not udnerstand how to force AFR. Although it sounds pretty obvious and I get the 2 white lines + green bobbing column while playing in AFR... It doesn't seem likely, butit woudl explain the exact same Frame rates...
If you see the green bobbing column, AFR is activated. When running Oblivion the green bobbing stuff should nearly reach the top and bottom of your screen. If it's staying in the middle you're probably using AFR 2, which for me didn't really do much.

Also, this may seem obvious, but make sure you have the SLI bridge thingy connecting your two cards. Make sure you have power connection to each of your cards as well as to the EZ plug on your motherboard if it has such a thing. The fact that you're seeing the green line means that your SLI is activated and running.
christos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 03:45 PM   #30
Garulfo

Nevermind for the CoD2 thing, activatring the SLI in game more than doubled my FPS (actually went from 60 to 160).

So I will try to re install Oblivion then.

Quote:
When running Oblivion the green bobbing stuff should nearly reach the top and bottom of your screen. If it's staying in the middle you're probably using AFR 2, which for me didn't really do much.
It's actually filling in and emptying depending on where I am. But most of the time the green bar takes maybe a third to half of the screen tops.

Anyway... Reinstalling Oblivion. But I am not optimistic

*frustrated*

**EDIT** I tried taking a video card out before reinstalling. With only one card in my PC (and obviously no SLI), I am getting a 42 FPS average where I was getting 41 with SLI on earlier.

So the SLI definitely doesn't work in Oblivion for me... I guess I know at least that much now.

Reinstalling Oblivion, please Wait...

Last edited by Garulfo; 03-23-06 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-23-06, 03:48 PM   #31
christos

Are you sure the power is connected to each of your cards? I know when I installed mine, I forget to connect the power to the second card. Even though it recognized the SLI setup, it performed worse than a singe card. If your video cards aren't being used to the max (green bars from top to bottom), perhaps you have a bottleneck somewhere else in your system.
Old 03-23-06, 04:44 PM   #32
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garulfo
I use nHance for the profiles. I have the latest 84.25 drivers. My configuration is as follow :

4800+ AMD 64
Asus Deluxe a8n SLI
2GB Kingston RAM (2x1GB 3-2-3)
Two 7800 GTX 512MB in SLI

I play the game in 1200x1024 resolution, Large textures and draw distances for trees on high, and the rest on medium or low. I use HDR on. Vsync on or off doesn't show any difference. Distant rendering are all checked.

Here is the frame rate I get in Single mode and AFR mode... :

Frames Time (ms) Min Max Avg
1)Single Mode 1445 25000 49 64 57.8

2)AFR mode 1362 25000 46 65 56.48

I did that doign the exact same path just outside of the first sewers. I just don't get it.

I enabled the show GPU balancing to make sure both GPU is being used, and I get the two white vertical bars to the left of the screen... So, my framerate is fine, but the SLI jsut seems to make no difference at all...

Any idea why? Is there anything I should know about profiles to make sure the SLI adds to the performence? Anyone? Anything? Puhleaase?

I didn't read every post in this thread but I can say that "single mode" under "SLI rendering mode" still runs in SLI as long as you have SLI checked under the "SLI multi-GPU" section.

So whether you select single or AFR mode you are still in SLI. Tunr off SLI under the SLI multi-GPU section and see what happens.

I get 49fps with SLI enabled and 27fps with SLI disabled.

It doesn't matter if I select single mode or AFR under the "SLI rendering mode" section, I get the exact same fps.
EVGA Intel X58

Old 03-23-06, 04:47 PM   #33
Garulfo

Yes there is one extra power cord attached to both video cards. I actually tried to remove it and when booting windows there was a "low power blahblah" message from Nvidia's control center.

Should the green bar go from top to bottom all the time? Isn't it supposed to change over time?

I thought that when the green bar was full it meants that both GPUs were being used at 100%. Since the videos cards have 512MB each I would think using both at 100% should be rather rare (it somtimes happens in Oblivion but never for more than a few seconds).

Now if the bar is supposed to be full all the time then I am having a problem.
Old 03-23-06, 04:51 PM   #34
Garulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle
I didn't read every post in this thread but I can say that "single mode" under "SLI rendering mode" still runs in SLI as long as you have SLI checked under the "SLI multi-GPU" section.

So whether you select single or AFR mode you are still in SLI. Tunr off SLI under the SLI multi-GPU section and see what happens.

I get 49fps with SLI enabled and 27fps with SLI disabled.

It doesn't matter if I select single mode or AFR under the "SLI rendering mode" section, I get the exact same fps.
Actually I thought about checking single mode with SLI enabled jsut 10 minutes ago I get the same results as with AFR on indeed. But I also get the same results as when SLI is completely disabled (box under "SLI multi-GPU" unchecked, like you said).

So basically I get the same FPS no matter what I do. And, if you missed it in my numerous posts and edits, I tried to physically remove one of the video cards. I laucnhed Oblivion, did the same benchmark test run in the city, and got the same FPS I did with SLI.
Old 03-23-06, 05:08 PM   #35
christos

Quote:
So basically I get the same FPS no matter what I do.
You may be bottlenecked by something else in your system then. If the green bar is moving all about like you say, sli is enabled and working. You should see an increase in your fps, that is unless something else is holding you back. I'm out of ideas for now...long day at work.
Old 03-23-06, 05:28 PM   #36
monkeydust

I'm not getting a whole lot of difference in frame rate whether I have SLI enabled with AFR or single card mode. I've tried a bunch of things just to make sure that it is enabled and I'm pretty sure it is (used both NV profiles an nHancer). Outside with a lot on the screen with HDR and view distance maxed, I'm getting about 17-25 fps. I may be getting like 5 fps less than that with single card mode.
eVGA 8800 GTS 620/1000
2 x 300gb Maxtor Maxline III SATA2 HD
Creative X-Fi / Logitech Z-5500
NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive
Lian-Li v1200 w/OCZ Powerstream 600w PSU
Dell 2001FP 20.1" LCD
3DMark06 - 8553
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote