Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-25-06, 09:08 PM   #13
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

Default Re: SEGA Lindbergh Arcade Board Naked - GPU Shown to be 2004-era GeForce 6 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by $n][pErMan
the 6800GT is hardly a slouch. Oooo .. so you dont get 95 FPS running the highest settings .. big deal... anything over 60FPS most people cant even notice anyway. Although with a P4 that weakens it a bit
yeh, but p4's still hold up great comapred to an Athlon XP, gotta remember, before the A64's were released, the pentium 4's dominated the market as the fastest cpu
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-06, 01:09 AM   #14
$n][pErMan
III%

Send a message via AIM to $n][pErMan
Default Re: SEGA Lindbergh Arcade Board Naked - GPU Shown to be 2004-era GeForce 6 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanwithahat
yeh, but p4's still hold up great comapred to an Athlon XP, gotta remember, before the A64's were released, the pentium 4's dominated the market as the fastest cpu
Fastest for Ghz maybe ... but AMD's old XP line is by far a better core. Runs at a Ghz less and does the same damn thing. A good OC on an AMD will smoke most P4's out. Intel really dropped the ball with the P4's. To be honest... im still surprised my XP OC'ed is still kickin ass in every game I play. Its why I am still delaying going 64bit ATM. (why spend money on new stuff when you can still play the games you like on full settings w/o a hitch?)
Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.51GHz (390 x 9 / 1.39v) | ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 (1236 BIOS) | OCZ GOLD 8GB (2GB x 4) DDR2 PC2-8500 Dual Channel (4-4-4-12 780Mhz/1.95V 1:1 Ratio) | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB (Currently @ 1240MHz Core / 7112MHz Memory) | Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS | Zalman CNPS9700 LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler | Samsung SSD 840 Series 256GB | ASUS ProArt 24in Widescreen LED 1920 x 1200 | Samsung DVD-RW-DL 18x Burner w/ lightscribe| SILVERSTONE OP650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply | AOpen 5.1 Surround sound system | Windows 7 Pro x64
100% Orthos Stable!
$n][pErMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-06, 01:19 AM   #15
Q

Really, it all boils down to it being a static hardware configuration. Compare any gaming PC with a console and by specs alone the PC should be able to outlast the console for nearly a decade. Just imagine the sorts of games we could play if we had a way to cut out all of the overhead running a game, then have it optimized for our individual systems?

Oblivion would run like butta at 150fps with better graphics on a sytem like mine. So its easy to see how sega can push a system with a card like that.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-06, 01:20 AM   #16
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by $n][pErMan
Fastest for Ghz maybe ... but AMD's old XP line is by far a better core. Runs at a Ghz less and does the same damn thing. A good OC on an AMD will smoke most P4's out. Intel really dropped the ball with the P4's. To be honest... im still surprised my XP OC'ed is still kickin ass in every game I play. Its why I am still delaying going 64bit ATM. (why spend money on new stuff when you can still play the games you like on full settings w/o a hitch?)
yeh same here, mine playis things fine, which is funny we both said each other's sucks because of what we've seen, whatever, saying anymore would take this thread way off topic, if you want to prove it though, post some benchmarks, i'd like to see what it can do because lookin at your sig, we have extremely similar setups...
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-06, 11:49 AM   #17
$n][pErMan
III%

Send a message via AIM to $n][pErMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanwithahat
yeh same here, mine playis things fine, which is funny we both said each other's sucks because of what we've seen, whatever, saying anymore would take this thread way off topic, if you want to prove it though, post some benchmarks, i'd like to see what it can do because lookin at your sig, we have extremely similar setups...
Ya.. even down to the CPU fan type .. lol. Got any games in particular you want to run tests in? Although to be consistant we should probably use the same driver set as well. (Im currently on 82.12 as its stable with good IQ). Id also go so far as to say that neither of ours really "sucks". Perhaps by todays standards they are out dated and old tech.... but they still more than pull thier weight in any game currently out. Unless its a game running at like the highest resolution possible on a computer Haha.. this will be wierd tho running these tests... its like a small battle for a war fought long ago
Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.51GHz (390 x 9 / 1.39v) | ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 (1236 BIOS) | OCZ GOLD 8GB (2GB x 4) DDR2 PC2-8500 Dual Channel (4-4-4-12 780Mhz/1.95V 1:1 Ratio) | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB (Currently @ 1240MHz Core / 7112MHz Memory) | Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS | Zalman CNPS9700 LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler | Samsung SSD 840 Series 256GB | ASUS ProArt 24in Widescreen LED 1920 x 1200 | Samsung DVD-RW-DL 18x Burner w/ lightscribe| SILVERSTONE OP650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply | AOpen 5.1 Surround sound system | Windows 7 Pro x64
100% Orthos Stable!
$n][pErMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-06, 10:51 AM   #18
ynnek

Whats the market trend like in the coinop arcade machines now? Are sales of these units still going up from years previous? Are there still "lots" of new games and systems being released? Or is the whole coin-op arcade segement dying a slow death? Anybody know?
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-06, 11:05 AM   #19
|MaguS|

Arcades are still going very strong in japan, in america though there are barely any around. We rarely get any of the new arcade games.

As for the new arcade board, its powerful because unlike a PC its specialized for a single application. You all compare bare numbers but never the software behind it. There are many games on consoles that look just as good as a PC game thanks to being specialized hardware. I mean look at MGS3, it looks DAM good for a game running on a 300mhz CPU with a 4MB GPU. Don't judge a game platform on numbers....

BTW Most games released on this system will probably be ported over to the PS3 due to the nature of the systems being very similar.
Old 03-27-06, 11:37 AM   #20
Edge
3d animator for hire!

I thought it was pretty interested that the system used such an "outdated" piece of hardware considering arcade boards usually use some of the most advanced technology availible at the time. I wonder what resolution arcade games typically run at? Maybe the games don't run at a high enough resolution to actually stress the GPU much, and if that's the case, why put in a $500 graphics card when a $200 will do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
BTW Most games released on this system will probably be ported over to the PS3 due to the nature of the systems being very similar.
How so? Aside from the GPU, the two systems bare almost nothing in common. Not to mention they rarely port games based on what hardware is most similar, just look at VF4 on the PS2.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-06, 11:42 AM   #21
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
How so? Aside from the GPU, the two systems bare almost nothing in common. Not to mention they rarely port games based on what hardware is most similar, just look at VF4 on the PS2.
True about VF but look at almost all of Namco's arcade games. All the ones that have been ported to the playstation consoles were ran on arcade systems that were based of the playstation hardware.

The main reason porting would be easier would be the GPU, much doesn't need to be changed. As for the CPU, they can either just use it as a single CPU and ignore the SPE's or customize it to take full advantage of the CELL CPU. The GPU though is always the biggest obstical, look at MS's trouble with porting Xbox games to the Xbox360. It's not the CPU but rather the difference in GPU architecture.
Old 03-27-06, 03:25 PM   #22
suburbanguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sznupi
But you're missing the point...even though, hardware-wise, it's made of PC parts, it's NOT a PC, so don't compare them directly.
I disagree. Lindbergh IS basicly a PC, even if the Windows OS is gone. Lindbergh is more of a PC than even the Xbox-based Chihiro arcade board that runs OutRun2.

Quote:
BTW, many of you said than in days of Naomi things were different...well, not really. Naomi hardware was exotic, but not that powerfull - Kyro/Kyro2 cards used in PC (of the same heritage as Dreamcast/Naomi) were faster than its GFX part.
I was not talking about the NAOMI days of the late 1990s and early 2000s, I was talking about the early to mid 1990s when Sega's General Electric powered MODEL-1, Martin Marietta powered MODEL-2 and Lockheed Martin Real3D powered MODEL-3 absolutely destroyed the highest-end, most expensive consumer PC technology around.

Quote:
The thing is...arcades/consoles can:
1) Have overall hardware design/architecture geared towards processing games (obviously not the case here, but when one looks at PS2...)
2) Run o lightweight operating system
3) Have games optimised the **** outta them - you must develop only for ONE, SPECIFIC hardware type - you don't have to care about how the games scales, so you might do things that, yeah, are possible on comparable PC, but nobody does them because the game won't run acceptably on slower machines. Oh, and you can play with hardware a bit more directly when you're sure what it is...
while it IS true that Lindbergh arcade games will outperform PC games that run on a PC with the same/similar specs, that does not make Lindbergh special.
suburbanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-06, 02:19 PM   #23
saberz

The thing is, SEGA is not in a position to spend massive amounts of money on R&D like they did back in the 90's.

In the 90's SEGA was a dominate force, consoles rarely were able to match their Arcade counterparts, and SEGA also had a Tri-Region arcade industry to help cover the costs of the hardware.

Flash to the late 90's and early 2000's and its a different picture. Their financial loss in the console market and the decline of arcade revenue due to more sophisticated home consoles that are able to for the most part match arcades in terms of eye candy. I believe it was 2 years ago that SEGA was finally able to turn around and pull a full profit instead of losing money, and as such they are focusing on what they do best, and thats software.

Believe me, I love SEGA, console and arcade fanboy for life, but as you saw in those screenshots of VF5 and After Burner their eye candy is hardly anything to scoff at. Sure its not cutting edge, but when you have a company like SEGA creating software for any type of hardware, your bound to have something special. Those graphics would not, repeat NOT be possible on the PC since there are countless configurations to account for. Thats the similiarity that the current Lindbergh boards have with the old Naomi/Model1,2,3 boards. Consistancy, same hardware much like a console means you can squeeze a huge amount of performance from a machine.

IMO Its not lowend, its not high-end, its incredible software development that makes the hardware, and they aren't spending millions upon millions of dollars on it, they save money on the hardware and rake in the money from people paying to play their amazing software.
-Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe w/12.05 Bios
-BFG 8800 GTS 640 megs
-Enermax Noisetaker 600Watt PSU SLI Ready
-Realtek ALC850 Onboard Sound
-Windows XP Pro w/SP2
saberz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-06, 02:35 PM   #24
The Bigman
Power User

Is this thing a game console or part of a arcade console? i would like one to test and **** with.
The Bigman is offline   Reply With Quote