Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-25-06, 01:51 PM   #1
son-jeeva

Default could not open device file /dev/nvidia0

hey everyone,

I have had my share to trouble with troubleshooting the installtion problems, but it was never this bad. I am getting the following error

Could not open device file /dev/nvidia0 (Input/Output Error).

I am running a Gigabte MB with 7600GT card. There is no other information from X system.

I have been trying to install the latest 8178 drivers for Fedora Core 5. I have the 2074 kernel and have the updated xorg and the drivers were all installed correctly as said in the threads in here.

The driver is resetting the permission to rw------- to both nvidia0 and nvidiactl files in the /dev on start so as per the instruction in the file. I passed in the option to the nvidia driver to set the UDI/GID=0 and Mode = 0666 and this time it didn't replace the permissions, but i still got the same error.

What is the problem here ? Does anyone else have the same problem ?
son-jeeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-06, 07:21 PM   #2
3vi1

Default Re: could not open device file /dev/nvidia0

Same exact problem here, when attempting to install the driver on a Mandriva One box I'm putting together.

After about an hour of fruitless searching, I clicked on the "Supported Chips" section of the README; I don't see the 7600GT listed in there.
3vi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-06, 08:45 PM   #3
Camberwell

Same thing here, i'm using FC5 and an FX5500 with the 8178 driver,

i also get:-
NVRM: isr request failed 0xffffffda
in dmesg.

i'v got the livna repo in, it installed kmod-nvidia and dependancy, but it found no update for the kernel, is there a newer one than 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5???
Old 03-30-06, 09:00 AM   #4
Camberwell

bump
Old 03-30-06, 09:30 AM   #5
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@Camberwell: the error message indicates that request_irq() failed with -ENOSYS, most likely because the requested IRQ was invalid; what does `cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0` report?
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-06, 09:45 AM   #6
Camberwell

hi zander thanks for the response

[camberwell@localhost ~]$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
Model: GeForce FX 5500
IRQ: 16
Video BIOS: ??.??.??.??.??
Card Type: AGP

I had read a thread from years ago somewere saying that this error message could mean and irq problem but i just couldn't beleive it because absolutly nothing has changed since i had fc4 on here, and fc4 was SWEEEET!!!

thanks again

Camberwell
Old 03-30-06, 09:52 AM   #7
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@Camberwell: the IRQ looks OK; your last comment suggests that the problem was introduced when you upgraded to Fedora Core 5, is that correct? If so, have you checked the latest update and/or a vanilla Linux 2.6 kernel? It may also help to check if passing pci=noacpi to the kernel via LILO/GRUB helps.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-06, 10:20 AM   #8
Camberwell

yes thats correct, this has arisen since upgrading to fc5, alltho this is a fresh install of fc5 now.

after your suggestion pci=noacpi unfortunatly that didn't help

i'v also just been trying setting the irq's to manual in the bois and that doesn't help eether.

I may try the latest kernel from kernel.org, i have recompiled a fedora kernel in the past but unfortunatly i'm no kernel expert, i can do most things with linux but kernels has allways been a grey area for me.

I am hoping the next official nvidia release will sort this out. alltho i'm not sure now as it seems to be an IRQ problem

Camberwell

Old 03-30-06, 03:04 PM   #9
Camberwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
@Camberwell: the IRQ looks OK; your last comment suggests that the problem was introduced when you upgraded to Fedora Core 5, is that correct? If so, have you checked the latest update and/or a vanilla Linux 2.6 kernel? It may also help to check if passing pci=noacpi to the kernel via LILO/GRUB helps.
I'v just downloaded and built the kernel 2.6.16.1 from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern....6.16.1.tar.gz

removed kmod-nvidia, and booted into it

tried the standard nvidia installer "cant build module" so used the patched nvidia-installer (patch from http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62021)

installed ok

same problem "cant open device file /dev/nvidia0 ....."

I wonder if this is something to do with my VIA board not giving a good IRQ or the kernel, i'm sorry i dont know exactly how IRQ's are assigned.

any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Camberwell
Old 04-01-06, 08:12 AM   #10
son-jeeva

Like I said this problem is unlike anything i have had before with NVIDIA driver. Being in the vfx department, i have had my share of problems with drivers for the past 3 years, but nothing that i couldn't fix in a day or 2. This time it seems some compatibility issue with the hardware:

I have Gigabyte nForce SLI ( GA-K8N Pro-SLI )
AMD X2 4200
GeForce 7600 GT PCI-Ex running in normal mode (x16)
-> and the 7800 GT and 7900 GT has the same problem as well.

I have the SAME PROBLEM with SuSE (10.0), Fedora Core 4 and Fedora Core 5 with this 8178 driver. On these systems the 7676 just goes black screen in which case, the methods we used for Fedora Core 3 doesn't seem to work all with old driver. This tells me that it might be some hardware related driver compatibility problem.

This is a serious issue for us as we just bought 3 systems with this configuration for illustration artists. Please confirm that this is either a hardware compatibility issue or something that is known and being fixed. We were in the process of migrating the hardware and lucky we didn't buy nvidia chipset for all until the problem is solved.

( Please do not ask to try out anything that has already been suggested in this forum for older drivers, as it has all been tried with SuSE, Core 4 and Core 5 )

If anyone was able to solve this, please post the update.

Thanks
Old 04-01-06, 01:31 PM   #11
3vi1

Quote:
Originally Posted by son-jeeva
GeForce 7600 GT PCI-Ex....and 7900 GT
Look back at my earlier message. If you read around here you will find that there is NO support for the 7600/7900 chipset in the current drivers and that everyone is eagerly anticipating the new release.

I'm tempted to pull the 7600 out of my system and re-install my old ATI9600XT just so I can play 3D games in the meantime.
3vi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-06, 01:40 PM   #12
son-jeeva

Did anyone get it working with the 7800 ? I have the same problem with a 7800 GT at the office. My friend said 7900 couldn't get it even working. That I can see but 7600 is fairly old for not having support.

I wish I can convince them to buy another set of gfx cards for our systems to run linux. We were in the middle of deciding to go with either mac or linux and this kind of hit us hard. Anyway if anyone got around this problem for 7800, please post.

ATI's usually is a b*tch in vfx world with drivers and we tend to stay away from those, but I can't see nvidia any better now.