Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-27-06, 04:18 PM   #1
breem

Default GeForce 5200 + FC5 Dual Head Weirdness

I've been all over this forum today and haven't found mention of the problem I'm having.

I can get my system to a point that I am able to use two displays the way I want using TwinView, etc. It works great. But, when the system reboots, it seems that the Xorg config gets messed up X complains to me saying my configuration is hosed so much that it needs to reconfigure itself from scratch.

What I've found is that in xorg.conf, the driver reverts itself from nvidia to nv. If I edit xorg.conf and reset the driver back to nvidia and try X again (without rebooting), it works just fine.

Why would the X config change/be modified during boot?
breem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-06, 04:28 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: GeForce 5200 + FC5 Dual Head Weirdness

This is caused by kudzu.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-06, 06:14 PM   #3
breem

Thanks Lonni. I've done a bit of digging, and I've found some posts saying I should edit /etc/sysconfig/hwconf by hand to specify the nvidia driver. I've also read that modifying hwconf by hand is a big no-no.

What's the best way to tell kudzu to leave things alone?
Old 06-27-06, 06:19 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The best way is to not run kudzu at all. Unless you're changing hardware configurations on a regular basis, I'm not aware of any need to run kudzu at bootup.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 06-27-06, 06:57 PM   #5
breem

I've tried
Code:
#chkconfig -level 345 kudzu off
and it seems to have disabled kudzu, but xorg.conf is STILL getting modified. Not only is the driver being changed from nvidia to nv, but the ModulePath line pointing to libglx.so gets removed.

I also found that the boot process fails on the nvidia-glx driver:

Quote:
nvidia.ko module for [my kernel] not found
But that is strange because nvidia.ko lives in both /lib/modules/[my kernel]/extra/nvidia and /lib/modules/[my kernel]/drivers/video.

Any ideas?
Old 06-27-06, 07:01 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

nvidia-glx is something provided by a 3rd party package, and is not provided by the official NVIDIA driver package. Do these problems persist if you remove the 3rd party package, and install the official driver package from nvidia.com?

Did you verify that kudzu was truly not running at bootup?

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 06-27-06, 07:50 PM   #7
breem

Looks like nvidia-glx is part of the kmod-nvidia package from livna. I removed the kmod-nvidia package, but then X complained that it could not load the glx module because of a missing dependecy, as well as not being able to load the nvidia driver. It's gone from my X log other wise I'd post the messages here.. I made sure to remove any packages of old kernels and recompiled the nvidia driver against my kernel (since no precompiled packages were available).

So now I've reinstalled kmod-nvidia, and I'm back to being able to run X the way I want, but only after X complains about being misconfigured, editing xconf.org manually to change nv back to nvidia, and then starting X back up.

I still haven't tracked down what is causing xorg.conf to be modified. I'm pretty sure kudzu is disabled... I ran a
Code:
# chkconfig -level 12345 kudzu off
That should cover it, no?
Argh.
Old 06-28-06, 12:26 PM   #8
breem

Right, so I figured it out. Turns out that it's more difficult to use the nVidia driver. I realized that I had been installing the incorrect package from the livna repo. I uninstalled the nVidia driver, removed the kmod-nvidia package (livna), and installed kmod-nvidia-smp in its place. Since this box has an intel core duo chip, it needs smp. Buh.

Using livna's smp package, I get no errors and no munged xorg.conf on boot. Hooray!

Thanks for the help, Lonni.