Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-04-06, 02:05 PM   #13
hayaka
amd64 arch user

Default Re: From default NV at 75 vert HZ to nvidia at max 58Hz, what's wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardDWorld
In regards to the optimal refresh, under windows it defaults to 75Hz, when purchased it the display model was at this and I ran it for 8 months at this on Windows and there has never been any visable flicker/waveyness at this vert Hz. The extra 15-17Hz makes a tremendous difference being that the flicker/waveyness is very noticeable at 60Hz and quite nauseous after a couple of hours use.
15Hz only makes a difference on CRTs.

Windows defaults to 75Hz because that is the highest, which is not optimal. When I first got my Dell LCD, Windows set the refresh rate to 75Hz. When I popped up the OSD, it listed the optimal setting at 1280x1024 60Hz. So I changed the driver to use that. Most companies list 60Hz as their optimal refresh rate.

http://www.eizo.com/Support/faqs/lcd/qa09.asp
http://www.necdisplay.com/support/cs...de/index04.htm

LCDs have dots that stay the same color and do not have to be 'refreshed' by the gun like in a CRT so there is no flicker. So the 60 is arbitary too.

So I recommend using the 60Hz that the monitor EDID defaults to unless you have another reason why you want to drive the LCD harder than it likes.

Edit: It's kinda funny, you're like the exact opposite of this guy (Look at the 4th post):
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66141
hayaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 04:26 PM   #14
Mr Marmalade
Refrigerated User

I think I had a similar problem, using the EDID option thing fixed it though. The 8-series linux drivers default to reading the EDID info from the monitor, whereas the previous versions didn't & instead went by the 'HorizSync' & 'VertRefresh' in the xorg.conf file. Although your problem occurs for both 7 & 8 series drivers. Maybe some monitors have dodgey EDIDs or old ones are meant to be probed slightly different.

Here's a link to the thread where I found this out:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...ight=Marmalade

I dont think 60Hz is exactly optimal by any means, at least not for me, I'd get a headache at that resolution. I think it's just a typical refrash rate that manufacturers give their monitor specs at. Oops, I just noticed its a LCD screen. I'll go and stand in the corner with my pointy 'D' hat...
Old 08-18-06, 11:53 PM   #15
BoardDWorld

HAHA, this is funny I just Googled my username and this thread came up...

Mr Marmalade; very true; 60Hz is an old prehistoric default, I don't know any monitor that can't handle 75Hz these days.

The rest of you guys it is "very" noticeable... I think mentioned this... There is a constant wave through my monitor at 60Hz which does aggravate my eyes. It starts from the top right corner and constantly ripples through to the bottom left corner. 75Hz does "NOT" have this constant wave.

It is already well known for people to go blind fast with the screen at low hz. As mentioned the factory recommendation is 75 Hz, read the post guys... Windows does not default at 75Hz, it defaults at 60Hz, like many things you have to tell it what it can handle. You make it sound like I'm maxing out my monitor... what a joke... I have been running it for more than a year now at 75hz and it will continue to run well after I replace it and even so I would prefer to max out my monitor much more than my eyes.

Anyway I resolved it... I removed Linux... Walla, no problem (and it was only for this reason, body functions are priceless)

Last edited by BoardDWorld; 08-19-06 at 12:09 AM.
BoardDWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-06, 03:32 AM   #16
pgs

Exclamation Re: From default NV at 75 vert HZ to nvidia at max 58Hz, what's wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardDWorld

The rest of you guys it is "very" noticeable... I think mentioned this... There is a constant wave through my monitor at 60Hz which does aggravate my eyes. It starts from the top right corner and constantly ripples through to the bottom left corner. 75Hz does "NOT" have this constant wave.
The constant wave is, very likely, a cable problem.

Regarding the 60/75 Hz, an LCD does not have any flicker even at 24Hz,
for the very basic reason that the picture is not "flashed" like in CRT, but
it is "static" over the frame time (well, with rise/fall time limitations).

Not only this, but very likely your refresh rate is still 60Hz, even at 75Hz input.

In general, for LCD, better picture quality is achieved with lower refresh rate
and especially with analog connected one.

bye
pgs is offline   Reply With Quote