Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-03-06, 07:24 PM   #1
finst

Default Best distro for nForce 410 support?

Hi all,

As it says in the title really - are there any distributions which support the n410 chipset / 6100 out of the box? I realise that there are various tweaks to get the ethernet/sound working, but I really just need a straightforward way to do it.

If there is a distribution out there where the network will work (even if I only get 2d graphics), then I'll be half-way there. It's a pain when I have only one PC, and not having network access (as all resources are on the internet to try and get things running)....

I have an Asus K8N-VM S754 mobo. Am I better off getting an ethernet PCI card (or just getting a different motherboard?)

The ironic thing is I bought an nForce board as I heard that their linux support was the best

Cheers.
finst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-06, 09:29 PM   #2
kenyee

Default Re: Best distro for nForce 410 support?

anything w/ the 2.6.15 kernel should be fine...this includes FC5, Ubuntu, Kanotix, etc.
kenyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 08:27 AM   #3
finst

Thanks,

I've tried MEPIS 3.4-3 (kernel 2.6.15) and Ubuntu dapper drake AMD64 Flight 5 (also 2.6.15 I think).

Neither worked with my ethernet and sound.

I believe that FC5 also uses 2.6.15 - has this got any more chance of working?

Does anybody know how long is a realistic estimate of when a default install of a big-name distro will support my hardware?

Cheers.
Old 04-04-06, 09:15 AM   #4
arubin

I don't have an answer to your question. But I found that installing a PCI network card is easy, cheap and saves a lot of headache.

Nevertheless if you have the nvidia/nforce drivers downloaded before you do the installation then you can get the networking working in slackware just by following the instructions in the release notes. I have not gotten the sound working.

Disappointing that Dapper Drake doesn't do it. I thought it was supposed to be up to date.
arubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 09:40 AM   #5
kenyee

One other thing is that if you dual boot, do *not* boot into Windows first, then boot to Linux. You have to power the board all the way down (no green light on board) by shutting off the power supply switch.

The nvnet driver doesn't seem to initialize everything properly so the symptom you'll see is that it receives packets but can't send. Got bit by this again a few weeks ago after I decided to upgrade my Windows partition to the latest nvidia drivers.

No matter which distrib, you'll also need the latest RC3 or RC4 version of the ALSA drivers for sound to work w/ the audio codec on the Asus board.

p.s., I'm using Kanotix. I also know FC5 definitely works and Ubuntu should have...
kenyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 04:06 PM   #6
finst

Thanks,

I didn't know that about having to power-cycle, I'll try that.

I'm currently downloading FC5 (the DVD ISO via the torrent), but its taking ages

I'll try FC5 and report back here....

Cheers.
Old 04-07-06, 01:22 PM   #7
finst

I can confirm that networking isn't working with FC5 either (although sound seems to work fine).

Also - the mouse pointer was invisible, I changed the graphics card to "vesa" which seemed to fix the problem.

Oh well, I'll just have to hope that dapper manages to get the extra drivers in before release....
Old 04-07-06, 01:38 PM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

If you're experiencing problems with the forcedeth driver, please provide details as well as information on how it can be reproduced.

If you're experiencing problems with the nvidia X driver, please generate and provide an nvidia-bug-report.log.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-06, 03:43 PM   #9
weinstev

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
If you're experiencing problems with the forcedeth driver, please provide details as well as information on how it can be reproduced.

Thanks,
Lonni
For some reason, there's a problem on dual boot machines if you've booted into Windows
and then reboot into Fedora (Core 5, in my case). The following link describes exactly the
solution (kludgey though it may be) to this problem:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...&postcount=264

You won't believe that this really works until you try it. You'll need to wait for the relay in
the power supply to click when you switch off the power. I've actually been pulling the
power cord. I can't verify the forcedeth version right now, but I downloaded FC5 for 64 bit
machines within the past month, so I'm using whichever version of forcedeth was shipped.

Hope this helps,
Vic
weinstev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 04:11 PM   #10
jtara

FC5 works fine out of the box with this chipset, using the forcedeth (what a BAD name for a driver, though!) and intel8x0 drivers.

IMO, Nvidia needs to do a better job of getting the word out that if your distribution includes these drivers, there's no good reason to install the Nvidia drivers. In fact, there are plenty of good reasons not to.

That's not at all obvious when visiting the Nvidia Linux drivers site. You have to dig down into this forum to realize that.
jtara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 06:40 PM   #11
finst

Thanks guys,

I will try the power cord trick when I get chance.

Does anybody know if the forcedeth (agree about the bad name) drivers are shipped with Ubuntu - I might wait for the next release in a few weeks (6.06) and try this....
Old 05-09-06, 06:53 PM   #12
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

forcedeth is part of the official Linux kernel, and ships with every 'modern' Linux distribution. The catch is that not all distributions are shipping a recent version of forcedeth. You will need a 2.6.16.x kernel in order to be using a recent enough version of forcedeth.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote