Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-08-06, 11:22 AM   #13
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: PCIe Driver Support

The only significant change that you've made here is updating the BIOS. I stated in the past that this sounded more like a BIOS bug than a driver bug.

You could certainly test again yourself with NvAGP set back to 0 to see if that has any impact. Setting NvAGP to 0 is never considered a preferred configuration, so even if that does trigger the instability, its not the default driver behavior, and is not normally a recommended configuration.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-06, 07:35 PM   #14
djzort

Default Re: PCIe Driver Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
The only significant change that you've made here is updating the BIOS. I stated in the past that this sounded more like a BIOS bug than a driver bug.

You could certainly test again yourself with NvAGP set back to 0 to see if that has any impact. Setting NvAGP to 0 is never considered a preferred configuration, so even if that does trigger the instability, its not the default driver behavior, and is not normally a recommended configuration.

Thanks,
Lonni
ok thoughts.

having updated the bios, and gotten things working. i also went and changed to turn usb keyboard support on (so i can select things with grub). things all went fine.

updated kernel via apt-get, to 2.6.16, install the new nvidia driver 1.0-8756
works fine. reboot, and then get the same old problems again. i reset VARSize=0 and ut works again. close, push it up to the standard 32 and i get the same system resets. ok, so i turn off usb keyboard support in the bios and still the same problem.

so just for kicks, i throw in the bios update disk, update the bios and then reboot and let it boot.

then it works again.

i havent ventured into the bios since, ive just let grub go through its motions.
(before people comment about dropping the time, i keep the current and last working kernels installed. its good practise(tm) )

any thoughts on what could have been changed??
djzort is offline   Reply With Quote