Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-05-06, 10:59 AM   #1
jnd3
Sword Saint

Send a message via AIM to jnd3 Send a message via Yahoo to jnd3
Thumbs up Apple Boot Camp

Hell is freezing over again with Apple Boot Camp:

Quote:
More and more people are buying and loving Macs. To make this choice simply irresistible, Apple will include technology in the next major release of Mac OS X, Leopard, that lets you install and run the Windows XP operating system on your Mac. Called Boot Camp (for now), you can download a public beta today.

As elegant as it gets

Boot Camp lets you install Windows XP without moving your Mac data, though you will need to bring your own copy to the table, as Apple Computer does not sell or support Microsoft Windows.(1) Boot Camp will burn a CD of all the required drivers for Windows so you don't have to scrounge around the Internet looking for them.

Run XP natively

Once youíve completed Boot Camp, simply hold down the option key at startup to choose between Mac OS X and Windows. (Thatís the ďaltĒ key for you longtime Windows users.) After starting up, your Mac runs Windows completely natively. Simply restart to come back to Mac.
I'm interested in the game benchmarks, though maybe not so much now that I've got the X360.

Mobile: Apple PowerBook 12" // PowerPC G4 1.33 GHz // 1.25 GB PC2700 // GeForce FX 5200Go 64 MB // 60 GB // OS 10.4.10

Gaming: XBox 360 Premium // Samsung LNS2651D // Wireless Networking Adapter // SwordSaintJND3
jnd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-06, 11:31 AM   #2
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Apple Boot Camp

I'm surprised nobody else posted anything about this. At first, I thought Apple was crazy to do something like this. But, I also forgot why Windows is even worth mentioning in the first place: games. Nobody has really posted any gaming benchmarks yet but I'm sure they will be here soon. I'm going to buy my Intel iMac next week so that should be real fun!!! CSS is the only PC game I have left.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-06, 05:08 PM   #3
PikachuMan

Man, Apple is one amazing company. You won't believe how much I want a MacBook Pro right now.
PikachuMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 08:58 AM   #4
six_storm

I case you guys haven't been paying attention, seems like everyone has gotten many games to play on their iMacs and MacBook Pros. Also, a new program released this morning lets you run XP in OSX (aka virtualization). Apple is making some pretty broad, bold moves . . . . wonder what's next?
Old 04-06-06, 10:01 AM   #5
Riptide

Hopefully bankruptcy.

j/k lol
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 10:03 AM   #6
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

A new PR team

Their "superior hardware" claim absolutely reeks after they made the same claim when COMPETING with intel lol.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 10:10 AM   #7
Riptide

Apple makes decent stuff.

I just don't really care to pay the Apple tax just to run OSX. Simple as that. Least in my case anyway.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 11:24 AM   #8
Son Goku

One almost doesn't have to with something like Pear PC... It's not a straight install of OS X onto the non-Apple branded PC though.

Oh, and Apple boot camp No doubt out of the minds of marketers Of course an Intel CPU should be able to run Windows, and given that MS doesn't try to lock it down to only run or not run on Apple braded PCs now...
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-06, 12:05 PM   #9
six_storm

When I first saw Boot Camp, I was kinda furious cuz I was like "Who in the HECK wants Windows anything on their Mac?" But once I thought about it, I think it's a good idea. Not only can I play PC games but it's also a great way to invite more PC users into the Mac world . . . slowly but surely lol.

I finally made the decision to go all Apple about a month ago (when I started selling my PC) and I'm so glad I did. Now I can have my games and be safe too (have cake and eat it too lol, I need some sleep).

BTW, Boot Camp is a BETA program and this plus virtualization will be included within the release of Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard this August/September. How frickin cool is that? Since Boot Camp is a BETA, I'm surprised on how well it is running and how well the drivers are performing.

Here is a vid of an iMac running Half Life 2 under XP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v6knSCXMQM

Hope you guys enjoy.
Old 04-06-06, 02:19 PM   #10
jnd3
Sword Saint

Send a message via AIM to jnd3 Send a message via Yahoo to jnd3

That video looks pretty smooth. I wonder what settings and resolution they used?

The Unofficial Apple Weblog on World of Warcraft:

Quote:
I then installed World of Warcraft, since I already had a copy installed on my OS X partition that I was very familiar with and which would serve as a nice comparison. The results: WoW on Windows XP on my iMac, running fullscreen on my external 24-inch Dell monitor with all the graphics settings ramped up clocks in at about 6fps faster than my OS X installation of WoW, running fullscreen on the same display with the graphic settings pulled back to their default settings. Nice!

Mobile: Apple PowerBook 12" // PowerPC G4 1.33 GHz // 1.25 GB PC2700 // GeForce FX 5200Go 64 MB // 60 GB // OS 10.4.10

Gaming: XBox 360 Premium // Samsung LNS2651D // Wireless Networking Adapter // SwordSaintJND3
jnd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 03:10 PM   #11
Superfly
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
Hopefully bankruptcy.

j/k lol
ROFL
Old 04-06-06, 07:02 PM   #12
a12ctic

Eh watch exploiters use this to get virus's into the os x partion, what a joke... What a major step down for apple :-/