Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-06-06, 08:10 PM   #13
Riptide

Default Re: Apple Boot Camp

lol

Get real. "Exploiters" never bothered much with it (OSX) before what makes you think they're going to bother to attack it now? Bottom line is XP is still the vast majority of the market, therefore it will remain the prime target.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 08:49 PM   #14
keith33
Is Alive!

Send a message via MSN to keith33

Well this seals it, I think I'm getting a Macbook Pro. Name one other laptop with those specs or higher in a less than 6 pound form factor.

A few questions for you Mac people like Six Storm though, if I use MS Office, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash etc. on OS X, because they're still in those formats, can I copy the files back to my main PC and use them on Windows? Will it be able to share and get files from other Windows computers on a network? With this Boot Camp deal, how will you be able to use right-click on the Macbook Pro? Finally my Music folder is about 45GB, does this mean I have to have a copy of it on both the OS X and NTFS partition to use it with both OS?

Thanks!!!!
Mobile: HTC Touch Cruise
keith33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 09:46 PM   #15
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Question Re: Apple Boot Camp

You still need MAC with Intel CPU for Windows XP to work no ? or can it work on any Mac regardless ?
Oh and MACs have mouse with more buttons now so it should be no problem for windows.
Old 04-06-06, 11:47 PM   #16
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith33
A few questions for you Mac people like Six Storm though, if I use MS Office, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash etc. on OS X, because they're still in those formats, can I copy the files back to my main PC and use them on Windows?
AFAIK Photoshop hasn't been ported to OSX x86 yet. There are Windows native versions and ofcourse versions meant to run on the "legacy" Macs.
Old 04-07-06, 12:05 AM   #17
einstein_314
w00t!!

Quote:
Well this seals it, I think I'm getting a Macbook Pro. Name one other laptop with those specs or higher in a less than 6 pound form factor.

A few questions for you Mac people like Six Storm though, if I use MS Office, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash etc. on OS X, because they're still in those formats, can I copy the files back to my main PC and use them on Windows? Will it be able to share and get files from other Windows computers on a network? With this Boot Camp deal, how will you be able to use right-click on the Macbook Pro? Finally my Music folder is about 45GB, does this mean I have to have a copy of it on both the OS X and NTFS partition to use it with both OS?

Thanks!!!!
Word and Photoshop files I know will work on both Mac and PC flawlessly. Not sure about the others...I assume they will. As for the music, you should be able to just share the folder it's in and the mac will be able to read it. I haven't had any problems sharing files between my pc (ntfs partition) and my parents G5 (running OSX 10.3).

Quote:
You still need MAC with Intel CPU for Windows XP to work no ? or can it work on any Mac regardless ?
Oh and MACs have mouse with more buttons now so it should be no problem for windows.
yes you need an Intel CPU. You could always just use a different mouse with the mac... I put a Logitech MX510 on a G5 and it worked flawlessly. So the lack of buttons is a really lame excuse for not getting a mac
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-06, 12:48 AM   #18
keith33
Is Alive!

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I need a laptop for university and I want to be thin and light but have enough power to game occasionally, SOMEHOW, no other company can offer a complete package like this yet (I might hold off until late June/early July to buy though, see what happens). If I can smoothly run XP and OSX on a Macbook without any incompatibility crap or XP severely raping the power of the Macbook, it seems like my best option. One thing I noticed though was the illuminated keyboard and impact sensing features don't work with XP, that's kind of a downer. But we shall see.
Old 04-07-06, 02:25 AM   #19
Son Goku

Personally, I'd rather see OS X run on a non-Apple branded PC... Then one could test their OS, without paying the royalty for Mac branded hardware. Just load it on your current system. Pear PC is doing something to try to get it running on any AMD or Intel system, but...

Given that the underlying CPU arch is Intel, actually x86 now, it doesn't really surprise me in the least that Windows would load on it...
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-06, 09:40 AM   #20
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=DVS=-
OMG, are people still complaining about the two button thing? Wow, Apple has had two button mouse support for a LONG time and then the Mighty Mouse (yes, it has 2 buttons) has been out for at least half a year.

Anyways, yes you need an Intel Mac to run Windows on it. For those of you that have always considered getting into the Mac world but somehow couldn't get away from Window , this is your opportunity. "Come and taste from the tree that is good . . . "

Just one suggestion though. As of today, Apple's line of products are kinda ehh. DO NOT buy the Mac Mini. Think about it. Once you buy once of those fully upgraded, you'll be spending almost as much as an iMac. iMacs are the best deal desktops out there and the MacBook Pros are the best laptops. Just a word of advice.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-06, 10:05 AM   #21
rflair
W OOO OOO

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...1,70604,1.html
Sharp Aquos 42" 1080p
ASUS P5K-E
8.0G OCZ RAM
Rig is ON 24/7
rflair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-06, 10:07 AM   #22
Riptide

The powermac line needs an update. Badly.
Old 04-07-06, 10:44 PM   #23
Banko
Red Pepper Vodka

Quote:

Thanks!!!!
Availability is somewhat small in the US right now, should be plentiful later but the Asus W3j

http://www.proportable.com/detail.aspx?ID=107
MSI P55-GD80
G.Skill DDR3-1600 8gb 4x2gb
Asus DRW-1814BLT SATA
ATi Radeon 5870
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Windows 7 Ultimate

HTPC/Second Gaming PC:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
Intel Q6600 @ 2.8
G.Skill DDR2 4gb 2x2gb
NVidia 8800GTX
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Banko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-06, 11:52 PM   #24
keith33
Is Alive!

For about $2800 CDN, nothing beats the value of a Macbook Pro right now, but I need a straight answer to the following 3 questions before I even think about it:

1. Does the backlit keyboard, shock protection on hdds and all that stuff STILL work in Windows?

2. Is there a right click button on the touch pad that will work in Windows normally?

3. Are the ATI drivers for the X1600 in the Macbook decent enough to play the occassional game?