Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-06-06, 02:32 AM   #1
guidoooo

Default Trying to get dual-head 6600GT with 2 mons going

Hello all,

My apologies if this question is commonly asked, or if this is not the right place - suggestions as to where to look welcome 8-)

I've just got a machine upgrade at work - new machine has XFX PCIe 6600GT 256Mb DDR3 dual-DVI card (11PVT43G), and two Philips 190B 19" monitors to go with it. They haven't shipped DVI-DVI cables to me yet, so I'm using DVI-VGA converters on the card end, and plugging the other end into the VGA ports on the monitors. I've installed RHEL4-U3 on the machine, and have got it to the point where it successfully uses one of the monitors at 1280x1024 in xorg v. 6.8.2 (RHEL4 rpm version). To get this far, I downloaded and installed the NVidia 1.0-8178 driver from their website.

I'm trying to get the second monitor working in a Xinerama fashion (I think - whereby the two monitors represent one large desktop, rather than two identical desktops). When the machine is in text mode (i.e. not X), both monitors display the same output (text) - but when I 'startx', the second monitor goes to sleep and the first monitor works fine.

Basically, I'm trying to run 'Xorg -scanpci' to find out what BusIDs the two video heads are, but the output scrolls off the screen, and it doesn't seem to be pipeable to 'less' or whatever, so I can't see the results of this command... When I run 'scanpci', it only lists one card... the reading I've done suggests that I'll need a 'Device' section in xorg.conf for each head, with a 'BusID' clause listing the PCI ID of each head...?

Thanks in advance,

guidoooo...
guidoooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 02:37 AM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Trying to get dual-head 6600GT with 2 mons going

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoooo
new machine has XFX PCIe 6600GT 256Mb DDR3 dual-DVI card (11PVT43G), and two Philips 190B 19" monitors to go with it.
If you only have one card, it will only show up in scanpci once. If you want to use two monitors on one card, please see the README, appendices G and/or P, depending on how you want to set up multiple screens.

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...DME/index.html
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 03:15 AM   #3
guidoooo

Default Re: Trying to get dual-head 6600GT with 2 mons going

Ah-hah! Thanks muchly... I've just been looking at that - should have searched around a bit more first...

It works!

Ee-hah...
guidoooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-06, 05:19 AM   #4
seffendi
NV member

Exclamation Re: Trying to get dual-head 6600GT with 2 mons going

Hello all,

regarding dual-head, I've been looking for following information:

In the manual/link above it is stated:
---
Appendix P. Configuring Multiple X Screens on One Card
Graphics chips that support TwinView (Appendix G, Configuring TwinView) can also be configured to treat each connected display device as a separate X screen.
---

My question is:
Is it possible to use 2 independent Xorg running at the same time, where each X assigned to each display device?
I'm using one FX5200 (Dual-Head).
If yes, would you mind to post an example configuration file?
If no, what is the problem, so that this can't be supported.

Thank you in advance.

(FYI: I'm trying the so called "multiseat X" )
seffendi is offline   Reply With Quote