Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-05-12, 04:30 PM   #1
Zeta

Default Whats the point of pre-ordering now with digital delivery?

The reason I used to pre-order back in the day was to ensure I had a copy on launch day. With digital distribution what is the point now? If they give you something for pre-ordering then sure, I can understand that. A discount, free older versions of the game, in-game exclusives, etc. But why are some games being put out for pre-order with no incentives?

Maybe my biggest question is anyone pre-ordering games when there is no incentive? If so why?
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 05:04 PM   #2
Logical

Default Re: Whats the point of pre-ordering now with digital delivery?

Pre-ordering has now become something that the developer has taken advantage of. They will throw in stuff like beta access, DLC or open unlockables within the game before anyone else. Usually most of what they offer is meaningless and the "you only get to play the beta if you pay for the game first" is blackmail. I never preorder...ever, if they dont open the beta to public (if a beta is available for said game) it means there game is dead in the pan to me.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 05:34 PM   #3
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

discounts, bonuses, preload etc
Old 05-05-12, 06:05 PM   #4
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Money starts flowing in before the game is finished. As mentioned all the DLCs, bonuses, etc are used to help sell it.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 03:19 PM   #5
frenchy2k1

Pre-Order were mostly used by retail store for you to do their stock management for them.
I hate Gamestop for that reason: if a game releases on day D, there is pretty much 0% chance of you being able to buy it at Gamestop if you have not pre-ordered it with a deposit weeks before (as they will have preorder number +2 copies only). If they cannot be bothered to do market research to gauge interest, I'll take my business across the street to any big box store that WILL have a palette-full of the game.

Now, they just take advantage for early income by offering extras to secure your full-price purchase before even day-0, before you have time to read any review preferably.

In the same idea, there is very little to gain in buying on day-0, as there will be few reviews and the game will be quite often heavily discounted before 6 weeks have passed... Patience for the win! (and a full wallet)
Old 05-07-12, 04:52 PM   #6
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

For major game releases (Diablo 3), I like having access to the core game functionality the first minute it is live. And for a game like D3 (which I pre-ordered the CE 3 months ago), I will get my swag CE stuff when it arrives (doesn't affect my gameplay really), but I will able to play the game the moment it is released regardless.

Pre-order for many games, like some have said, contains variable DLC based on the retailer and even e-tailers. Pre-order today for me means that I can secure Limited or CE boxes early as with most it is first-come-first serve on pre-ordering those game versions.

Storage 2.0
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz NH-D14 | 16GB G.Skill@1600Mhz | Areca 1880ix-16 RAID HBA
Temp Storage - 1.8TB (4x450GB Hitachi 15k RPM SAS) | 18TB (12x3TB Hitachi RAID10) | HSPC Tech Station | Corsair HX620 | Windows 7 x64
Monolyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 05:20 PM   #7
Logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolyth View Post
For major game releases (Diablo 3), I like having access to the core game functionality the first minute it is live. And for a game like D3 (which I pre-ordered the CE 3 months ago), I will get my swag CE stuff when it arrives (doesn't affect my gameplay really), but I will able to play the game the moment it is released regardless.

Pre-order for many games, like some have said, contains variable DLC based on the retailer and even e-tailers. Pre-order today for me means that I can secure Limited or CE boxes early as with most it is first-come-first serve on pre-ordering those game versions.
Thread is about Digital based pre ordering but even so the benefits of pre ordering at all just isn't a big enough incentive for me to do it. If i want to play a game on day 1 i can do without pre-ordering, i have done so in the past but only with games which i consider a must buy. I have NEVER had a problem buying a game for the PC on launch day. The sad gits that go camping outside of there local retailer waiting for it to open to buy a game on launch day need there heads fastening hard in a vice. Same with books such as harry pothead etc...

Console games can of course sell out very quickly on launch day, pre-ordering a game to make sure you can play it on day 1 is therefore understandable in these circumstances. Although i have never done said thing on console either. Last year i laughed at all the assholes at Asda that stood in line from midnight just to get a copy of Black ops. I returned 12 hours later and the line had disappeared....But yet they still had huge amounts of stock in on all platforms for said game....That was a supermarket...theirs like another 100 different stores i could drive to in my area and i could of guaranteed to find a copy of black ops on any platform...

I partly blame the media, they hype games so much these days it's unreal...You only have to look at the new Black ops 2 trailer to realise that most of the said media are PAID to do this. Gamespot...pffft dont make me laugh, they wouldn't know a decent game if the games devs hellicoptered there willys and smashed them in the face with it...
Old 05-07-12, 05:25 PM   #8
ElL33t
Brobama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Pre-ordering has now become something that the developer has taken advantage of. They will throw in stuff like beta access, DLC or open unlockables within the game before anyone else. Usually most of what they offer is meaningless and the "you only get to play the beta if you pay for the game first" is blackmail. I never preorder...ever, if they dont open the beta to public (if a beta is available for said game) it means there game is dead in the pan to me.
It isn't blackmail. You don't have to pre-order. It is your choice to buy the game before its release or after its release.

The rest of your post I agree with. The pre-order stuff is meaningless things used as a sales pitch. If you like what they offer, then it has value to you I guess.

Really the only advantage of pre-ordering with digital content is pre-loading.
ElL33t is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-12, 05:35 PM   #9
Logical

Blackmail is wrong choice of word, what i meant was they are basically forcing you to pay to play a beta...Which in my eyes is wrong.
Old 05-07-12, 06:26 PM   #10
ATi
RooR

Quote:
forcing you to pay to play a beta...Which in my eyes is wrong.
lol you don't have to pay
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 2 x 4GB 1648
HD1.5tb
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
corsair620HX
Windows7 64 home premium
Dell LED G2210
ATi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 07:10 PM   #11
Logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATi View Post
lol you don't have to pay
If you want to play a beta of said game then you do....
Old 05-07-12, 07:24 PM   #12
ElL33t
Brobama

Quote:
If you want to play a beta of said game then you do....
There have been lots of BETAs I wanted to play but couldn't. Not a big deal. Wait till the game is released like we used to have to do in the old days.
ElL33t is offline   Reply With Quote