Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-07-06, 07:23 PM   #1
ppinter1

Default 1.0.8756: X11 fails to start on vanilla FC5

(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (a required submodule could not be loaded, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

Running a vanilla 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5 with GeForce FX 5200.

The NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run ran without errors.

The nvidia-bug-report.log is here or here.

What am I missing here?
ppinter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-06, 09:09 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 1.0.8756: X11 fails to start on vanilla FC5

It looks like you didn't install the xorg-x11-server-sdk RPM before installing the nvidia driver. Give that a try, and it should fix this problem. Also, see the other big FC5 thread.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 09:50 AM   #3
ppinter1

Thumbs up Re: 1.0.8756: X11 fails to start on vanilla FC5

Yes, I did install the server-sdk package, but no joy.

However, adding the two symbolic links as described in this post has me up and running with accelerated video, thank gawd!

This fix should either be included in the README file, or better yet, the install script should be fixed to Do The Right Thing(TM). After all, FC5 is a major Linux bloodline, no?

Cheers,
/p2
Old 04-08-06, 09:57 AM   #4
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@ppinter1: are you saying that `nvidia-installer` failed to install the driver components to the correct location even after the xorg-x11-server-sdk package had been installed? Please note that installation of this package will have no effect if you don't repeat the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver installation.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 11:18 AM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

ppinter1,
What is the output from the following command:
pkg-config --variable=moduledir xorg-server

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 04-08-06, 05:15 PM   #6
ppinter1

Hi Lonni,

From your other posts, I understand that both the xorg-x11-server-sdk and pkgconfig-0.20-2.2.1 RPM packages have to be installed on FC5 prior to running the nvidia-installer, correct?

Naturally, pkgconfig was not installed here which probably explains the results I posted.

I'll remove the symlinks, install pkgconfig and re-install the nvidia-installer to be sure it all hangs together in a vanilla config.

Thanks very much for all your hard work on helping to bring accelerated video to Linux... it's enormously appreciated.

Cheers,
/p2
Old 04-08-06, 05:22 PM   #7
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Correct, both the xorg-x11-server-sdk and pkgconfig RPMs have to be installed on FC5 prior to installing the driver.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 05-01-06, 07:13 PM   #8
r.c.

for what it's worth, on a new install on a x86_64 FC5 I had the nvidia and glx modules not found issues too.

I found the stickied fc5 readme after the first attempt to install and followed it. I also read http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67925

I still had the problem after installing
xorg-x11-server-sdk-1.0.1-9.fc5 and kernel devel and reinstalling the nvidia package. I later found the reference to pkg config, but found that had already been installed.
However, I think the problem is that for some reason pkg-config had not picked up the proper configs for X. In the above thread, the question was asked about the output of:

Mine returns nothing, just goes back to the prompt. I don't know why it is doing this, but after manually moving the installed files from the X11R6 tree to the xorg tree, things worked fine (so far).

Not sure if I'm going to hit other problems due to pkg-config not picking up X's config, but thought I'd give a report in case someone else had the same problem. I've installed nothing outside of just doing the standard "yum update" occasionally that would get in the way of any of these packages, so I can see it happening to other folks too.
r.c. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-06, 02:16 AM   #9
arokh

Read the sticky next time.
Old 05-02-06, 02:23 AM   #10
arokh

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.c.
I still had the problem after installing
xorg-x11-server-sdk-1.0.1-9.fc5 and kernel devel and reinstalling the nvidia package. I later found the reference to pkg config, but found that had already been installed.
However, I think the problem is that for some reason pkg-config had not picked up the proper configs for X. In the above thread, the question was asked about the output of:

Mine returns nothing, just goes back to the prompt. I don't know why it is doing this, but after manually moving the installed files from the X11R6 tree to the xorg tree, things worked fine (so far).
First of all, pkg-config isn't "picking up" anything. It's a static file that comes with xorg-x11-server-sdk and is placed in /usr/lib/pkgconfig/xorg-server.pc. Check to see if you really have the file there. Next, see if you have the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable set. If you don't, try setting it to /usr/lib/pkgconfig and run the command again.
Old 05-02-06, 03:18 PM   #11
r.c.

I'll assume the "read the sticky next time" is directed elsewhere, since I stated that I did read it and followed it. The whole section referred to in the other thread I mentioned about pkg-config isn't mentioned at all in the stickied post (should be though).

When I said "for some reason pkg-config had not picked up the proper configs for X" I of course meant it hadn't found the package (.pc) files. Turns out the the xorg-x11-server-sdk-1.0.1-9.fc5 package installs the .pc file in /usr/lib64/pkgconfig instead of /usr/lib/pkgconfig. This makes sense I guess, given it's an x86_64 system, but I'm not that familiar with how all these x86_64 changes work together with older stuff and hadn't dug through it all at the time I posted.

There are tons of config files in the lib64/pkgconfig path, but it looked like pkg-config was not scanning that directory at all. After some digging, I found the culprit, which was an install of mono using the unified installer from the mono project's website. This installer stuck a pkg-config in /usr/local/bin which didn't know about /usr/lib64/pkgconfig, and therefore caused the issue.

Hope this will help someone else.
r.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-06, 03:40 PM   #12
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

That's a nasty bug. I'd suggest you report it, if you've not done so already.

Thanks,
Lonni