Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-08-06, 03:09 AM   #1
forsakentalon

Default FC5 7800gt stuck in command line

Okay installed Fedora Core 5. Anaconda crashes, no worries. I do the text based install. Get it installed. But no X. Command line only. I've installed the kernel sources and run the nvidia installer 8178, 8756 same problem both times. The installer can't find the kernel sources, I try the --kernel-source-path to where my source is installed at. Still says it can't find them.

I've tried other distro, 10 different live distros and 4 different full install distros including ubuntu. Ubuntu has the same problem with no X, no gui all command line like FC5. I've done all of the yum sdk server updates.

kernel is 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp

The only kernel source I can find is the one missing the smp from it from fedora but other forums say it doesn't matter it's the same source and the smp.src.rpm doesn't exist at fedora's download site anyways. I'm assuming if I can install the driver I'll be able to start X gui.

I've tried gnome-mount but it says display not available. Ubuntu during install says "screens found, but none available"

Or is it nothing to do with my video card but with my lcd monitor connected through dvi.

All of the live distro's crash and hang to a blank screen when they startup.

Hardware is

evga 7800gt in middle slot of NF41
evga NF41 motherboard (3 x PCIexpress slots, 2 outer for sli, 1 center for single card)
2GB ram
Fedora Core 5 in 40GB IDE harddrive

I've been dealing with this for a while, I am a noob sorry, I've scoured this forum and the internet including lunapark6, their instructions didn't work. I don't know how to get this to work. I've read through the installation guides at redhat/fedora.com. Nothing.

Any thoughts inputs, and comments are greatly appreciated. I would be overjoyed to actually see this install get to the X gui and out of the command line. I wish I could put down the logs here but I don't know how to get to them from the command line. But if you need them please just drop me the instructions on how to get to them from command line.
forsakentalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 05:16 AM   #2
Dragoran

Default Re: FC5 7800gt stuck in command line

for the installer try linux vesa at the boot prompt.
after installing do
yum update (because the default kernel has a bug that prevent loading non gpl drivers)
yum install kernel-devel xorg-x11-server-sdk
an then install the nvidia drivers.
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 09:50 AM   #3
forsakentalon

Still stumped, but got a little further with the nvidia driver; and fedora does have repositories I think. uname -rm gives me 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5smp i686.

I used su -c 'yum update' which updated pretty much everything in fedora woohoo including the kernel from 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp. It also updated kernel-smp and kernel-smp-devel. I also learned that the nvidia driver requires Kernel Source and kernel headers.

yum install yum-utils
yumdownloader --source kernel <-----yum was supposed to update the kernel and install the kernel source... it didn't had to go long ways.

I got the src.rpm for my kernel from downloads.fedora.redhat.com/pubs/fedora/linux/core/updates/5/SRPMS/

then installed it
rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.16-1.2080_FC5.src.rpm

rpmbuild -bp --target=noarch /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec

I can now load and run part of the nvidia installer, but it stops with the error of unable to load the nvidia.ko module. It says something about it using the wrong kernel source with the current kernel. I can't help but to wonder if I used the kernel source with 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5 while my kernel has smp at the end (dual cores) but other sites say that's the only source available and it doesn't/shouldn't matter about the smp. Here's to more reading

Other thoughts? Thanks these have been helpful.
Old 04-08-06, 09:58 AM   #4
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@forsakentalon: please attach the /var/log/nvidia-installer.log file.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 11:35 AM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

forsakentalon,
In FC5, you need to have the kernel-devel RPM that corresponds with your kernel installed. There's no need to do anything with the kernel SRPM.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 01:02 PM   #6
forsakentalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
forsakentalon,
In FC5, you need to have the kernel-devel RPM that corresponds with your kernel installed. There's no need to do anything with the kernel SRPM.

Thanks,
Lonni
When I tried to install it, it said "kernel-smp-devel is already installed"

Any idea how I would attach / find the install log from the command line. Sorry linux noob here.
Old 04-08-06, 03:59 PM   #7
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The installer log is in /var/log. In addition to the installer log, please post the output from the following commands:
uname -a
rpm -qa | grep kernel

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 04-11-06, 06:48 AM   #8
forsakentalon

I cannot access the logs, It says permission denied, I'm in root so I don't understand why I cant access them . can't do ./nvidia-installer --help as it says permission denied also

uname -a gives me current O.S. linux.localhost.localdomain 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5smp

rpm -qa | grep kernel shows:
kernel-smp-s.6.15-1.2054_FC5
kernel-smp-devel-2.6.16-1.2080_FC5
kernel-smp-2.6.16-1.2080_FC5

I tried typing "X" without quotes it returns:

X windows system version 7.00
Release date 21 dec 2005
X protocol version 11, revision 0, release 7.0
build operating system : linux 2.6.9-22.18.bz155725.ELsmp
Current O.S. linux.localhost.localdomain 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5smp
build date 15 March 2006
Modular Loader present
Using config file "/etc/x11.0.log
(EE) NV(0) : No Valid FB address in PCI config space
(EE) Screens Found, but none have a usable configuration

Old 04-11-06, 11:38 AM   #9
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm afraid I can't diagnose why your system isn't permitting root to access files.

However, this entry indicates that you're using the 'nv' X driver, and not the nvidia X driver:
(EE) NV(0) : No Valid FB address in PCI config space

Did you update xorg.conf per the instructions in the driver README?

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 04-14-06, 02:33 PM   #10
paulfeakins

I'm having this same problem, but I haven't updated xorg.conf - the problem is, the README file is very unclear about what needs to be done to it?
paulfeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 02:43 PM   #11
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

paulfeakins, which 'same' problem are you having? Please generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 04-18-06, 05:12 PM   #12
paulfeakins

I was having the problem with the installer not being able to find the kernel source path, and then problems with dependencies.

I updated my kernel though as you advised, then the installer worked and my card is now running nicely. I haven't been able to get dual monitors working as yet but I'll take a look in to this myself and post if I get stuck.

Many thanks for your help,
Paul.
www.paulfeakins.co.uk
paulfeakins is offline   Reply With Quote