Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-08-06, 06:43 PM   #1
Shadowblink

Unhappy Xorg7 crashes after a few seconds with 8756.

Hi,

I am using Gentoo Linux and installed the new driver from portage. I shutdown the X server, unload the module and then reload it. I restart KDM and but after a few seconds KDM goes away and the nvidia logo comes back up. So, I know X crashed and it reloaded. -_- I went through the whole thing with eslect to make sure that the nvidia glx was being used. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Even the logs didn't show much. I did the startx --logverbose 5 command and generated a big report. I had to compress it. It's quite long. I use the same config with the previous drivers and it works just fine (I had to downgrade my drivers so I can get a desktop). They new ones just crash X.

I hope you all can help me out with this. I want to try out the new option for selecting the default monitor and other cool features of this release.

Thanks,
Shadow.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.zip (13.4 KB, 203 views)
Shadowblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 07:23 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Xorg7 crashes after a few seconds with 8756.

X is dying with a SIGFPE (floating point exception), and it doesn't look to be happening within the nvidia X driver. Just to confirm, this problem is not present with 1.0-8178?

I have a few questions:
0) Does this reproduce with a kernel.org 2.6.1x kernel?
1) If you disable vesafb, does that have any impact?
2) Does this reproduce without TwinView?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 07:58 PM   #3
Shadowblink

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
X is dying with a SIGFPE (floating point exception), and it doesn't look to be happening within the nvidia X driver. Just to confirm, this problem is not present with 1.0-8178?

I have a few questions:
0) Does this reproduce with a kernel.org 2.6.1x kernel?
1) If you disable vesafb, does that have any impact?
2) Does this reproduce without TwinView?

Thanks,
Lonni
Thanks for the replay. I can confirm that it does not happen with the 1.0-8178 kernel. I am using that right now. Though, I have that other issue that I reported about earlier in the thread about the computer locking when you switch VTs. But, I use the same xorg.conf file with the 8178 release. So, it's the same config file.

I will try an official kernel and see if that helps.

I took out the vesafb line from the kernel line in grub and still the same thing. When I try the official kernel, there will be no vesafb stuff compiled into the kernel.

For point number 2, I noticed that if I included:
Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-0"
TwinView would fail saying it could only find one device. So, it used one screen, and X still crashed. So, this is like a single display, I guess, but I will edit the config file and find out.

Thanks again.
Old 04-08-06, 09:20 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

If you're running a TwinView configuration, then you'd need to specify two display devices as parameters to the "UseDisplayDevice" option.

It would be great if you were able to replicate this either in a LiveCD environment or some other 'off the shelf' distribution. Right now, its unlikely that I'm going to be able to duplicate your Gentoo environment.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 04-08-06, 09:28 PM   #5
Shadowblink

I am running ~x86 with gcc 4.1 (which needs to be specifically unmasked) and the new beta of binutils. I installed xorg7 using the meta ebuild, added a few fonts, and other utilities, and then KDE. That's basically it. The only custom ebuilds I am using are ebuilds for FreeNX and the NoMachine NX OpenSource Components.

I will see about installing the drivers in a LiveCD tomorrow. I will also try an official kernel tomorrow. I am too tired tonight and I don't want to mess up. :P

So, the option that I need to use in TwinView is:
Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-0,CRT-0"
But, the readme didn't say anything about two devices in there. :S And this will use the DFP as screen 0 and CRT as screen 1?

Thanks.
Old 04-08-06, 09:38 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm sorry, you were right, I don't know what I was thinking. "UseDisplayDevice" only works with a single display device. Sorry about the confusion.

-Lonni
Old 04-11-06, 07:19 AM   #7
Shadowblink

Well, it's not a kernel issue. I tried various forms and still no go.

I have yet to try in a LiveCD environment, though.

If you want, I can give you the list of packages installed and the compiler flags used to do my Gentoo system is you want to try to recreate it. Have a feeling that this is caused by the fact that I am using gcc4.1 with a beta binutils with glibc 2.4. THis is only speculation though. I am thinking about redoing my system with less beta stuff and seeing if that solves other issues I had.

Cheers.