Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-12-06, 01:09 PM   #1
Son Goku

Default WTF, this is a first

Some months back, I downloaded the 98th ep of Doctor Who, aka the Ribos Operation. The first file played fine in Windows, but files 2, 3, and 4 were a no go. So, comming over to Linux to test something else, those files are loading just fine here. What? Umm
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 01:14 PM   #2
evilghost

Default Re: WTF, this is a first

Why are you suprised? Xine/GMStreamer/Kaffiene have always allowed me to play corrupt files with more forgiveness, heck, I can stream AVI/MPEG something Win32 doesn't allow me to do.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 01:55 PM   #3
Son Goku

I might have tracked down more of what's going on...

I looked at the file details. In all cases, the video uses DIVX, but the audio stream on the first uses MP3. On the remaining files (parts 2-4), it uses DVM for the audio codec. OK, that's not a type I've heard of before... Heck, I even have a more codec complete audio player then WMP I loaded it into, but that's a new one to me. Wasn't even a way of finding out what was missing, till finding something that would load it...

Might also explain why in Windows it came up as "unable to open stream", and only gave the video...
Old 04-12-06, 02:04 PM   #4
evilghost

It's DVM AC3 audio, here's your Win32 solution:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 03:39 PM   #5
Son Goku

Ah, well that solves that one. Was wondering why they uploaded 3 files that weren't working when 3 were. They chose to use different encoding and mention nothing of it in the torrent

Anyhow, still testing this other thing, distributed computing alpha project actually, and in Windows this new WU type was causing everyone trouble. Hence testing it over here to see if the same prob comes up. The devs need some feedback to fix this bug before distributing it to the regular project...

Anyhow, there is one slight problem in Xine, dropped frames, so trying to recompile the thing. Running a x86-64 install, so guess there are some glitches. On running xine-check, it complains about MTRR registers and guesses they aren't in x86-64... I'm almost willing to bet that AMD didn't drop them for their 64-bit arch... Or there's something else going on performance wise...