Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-13-06, 09:23 PM   #1
kenyee

Default TV-Out users take out ConnectedMonitor in Xorg.conf for 8576 drivers!

This is probably driving Loni/Zander nuts since it seems to show up in a lot of threads. It's probably important enough to be in a separate thread :-)

The proper option is now called "UseDisplayDevice".

The only problem is thatOption "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT-0, TV-0" was used to turn on TV output only if the TV is connected and it defaults to CRT-0 if not (according to Belegdol) but this functionality seems to be missing if you switch to the new option...
kenyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-06, 11:05 PM   #2
Imperito

Default Re: TV-Out users take out ConnectedMonitor in Xorg.conf for 8576 drivers!

UseDisplayDevice still doesn't work for me, though
Imperito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 08:12 AM   #3
kenyee

Default Re: TV-Out users take out ConnectedMonitor in Xorg.conf for 8576 drivers!

Sorry, Imperito...didn't mean to say it'd fix all problems. :-(
Lonni did say you're not supposed to use ConnectedMonitor any more though. I was just trying to flag this in a discussion topic so people using TV-out know about it...
kenyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 10:28 AM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The issue isn't that ConnectedMonitor isn't supposed to be used any longer. Its purpose has not changed. The issue is that it has been misused or at the least misunderstood. ConnectedMonitor is meant as a means of telling the driver which display devices you plan to use when the driver cannot detect them (such as when using a KVM, where the CRT is switched away, or when using a TV, where it is not powered on when starting X). Basically, for situations where the display device(s) that you wish to use are not detected when X is started.

The UseDisplayDevice is meant for telling the driver which display device to use when it detects more than one, yet your X configuration only uses one.

Hopefully this clarifies things a bit more.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 06:29 PM   #5
krisis1

Unhappy Re: TV-Out users take out ConnectedMonitor in Xorg.conf for 8576 drivers!

Hello and thanks for the tip, without 'Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT-0"' I get to see the nVidia-logo at least a fraction of a second

I'm getting a Signal 11-error, look at my attached logfile and config for details.
Hope you can help me with this.

A bit offtopic but TV-out-related nonetheless, in the future I'd like to see my TV-out display a VLC showing a movie. For this to work, I guess my TV needs to be my primary output device, no? How do I do this? Is it just 0<>1 in the ServerLayout or is there more to it? TIA!!

I hope I'm not spoiling this informative thread with yet another stupid question
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (91.3 KB, 207 views)
File Type: txt XF86Config-4.txt (3.9 KB, 349 views)
krisis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 08:48 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

It looks like the initialization of the glx extension is causing the segfault. If you comment out glx in your X configuration, does that temporarily work around the problem?

Just to confirm, you're experiencing this problem immediately after (re)installing 1.0-8756, and not just after rebooting?

You can try (re)installing the driver with the --force-tls option set to either new or classic, and see if that helps at all.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 04-15-06, 01:06 AM   #7
Imperito

Well, my TV is connected at startup, but through an external video switching device, so I'm not sure about auto detecting. In the past, I had been using "ConnectedMonitor" to tell which output each of my two "Device" sections was to use. With 8756 I can't get the TV to work at all, using UseDisplayDevice or ConnectedMonitor.
Old 04-15-06, 11:14 AM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Imperito, I'd suggest temporarily removing the "external video switching device" and seeing if that has any impact. If not, please generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log.

Thanks,
Lonni

Old 04-15-06, 01:00 PM   #9
Imperito

that is unfortunatly not possible, the TV does not have composite video inputs. The switch has been detected in previous drivers, however.

Attached is most current nvidia-bug-report, it seems to pass mode validation and everything OK, but then blow up when it gets to actually setting up the screen.

It takes a while for it to do anything (even when I SIGINT it after it blows up so it can close up, it takes a while) The delays seem to correspond to the WAIT() lines in the Xorg log.

There is only display corruption on the LCD, and the video switch indicates no signal the entire time.

LCD only works normally, TV only does not work, with similar error messages.

Older (verbose) bug report logs can be found in this thread.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (58.8 KB, 187 views)
Old 04-15-06, 07:58 PM   #10
krisis1

Lonni,
thanks for the useful reply!
Unfortunately I didn't had the chance to try your suggestion. The PC is located at a remote site and I can't get there at the moment but I do have SSH-access and VNC.
There is nothing connected to the TV-Out-port, and while I use the UseDisplayDevice and ConnectedMonitor-options, the config refuses to force TV output.
The logfile tells me:
Quote:
(WW) NVIDIA(1): Unable to find any of the requested display device "TV-0" in
(WW) NVIDIA(1): the list of available display devices "".
(EE) NVIDIA(1): Unable to find available Display Devices for screen 1.
X is running fine on the CRT though. Also, the logfile shows EDID-info at the spot where the driver search for devices at the TV-out.
The configfile wasn't edited since last post.

Is there another (perhaps lower level?) way to force the driver to use the TV-out chips, even though nothing is connected? I always assumed ConnectedMonitor did this, but it obviously isn't working for me.
If you can help me out with this, I can try your disabling GLX-possibility right now, otherwise I'll have to get the TV connected and powered on.
Old 04-17-06, 06:15 PM   #11
krisis1

Lonni, I've tried disabling glx: TV-out works for me now!
However, I still need some problems solved
- starting X without a TV connected disables the TV encoder even when using both ConnectedMonitor & UseDisplayDevice-options.
- TV overscan "0.0" makes the desktop small as it's supposed to, but "1.0" doesn't make it as large as it can. nvidia-settings allows me to extend it more, but I have no clue how to do that in the X-config. I tried higher values like 1.99, 2.00 etc, but they didn't help a lot.
- Oh and my GLX doesn't run, don't know what it does, don't know if it's a bad thing it doesn't work, but perhaps it's better when it works so that's the third thing

Could you please help me resolve these 3 issues? Thanks!!
Old 04-17-06, 06:18 PM   #12
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Its odd that disabling glx fixes your TV-out problem. Can you generate a bug report against this working configuration?

As for overscan, the range is 0 to 1.0. Different TV encoder chipsets handle overscan differently, so it may not be possible to adjust it via the X configuration directly. You can always setup nvidia-settings to run when you start/login to X.

Thanks,
Lonni