Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-14-06, 07:54 AM   #1
tl_kj5xf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17
Default Crashes with openGL using Linux Display Driver - IA32 (1.0-8756)

Folks,
Here is a quick description of what is going on.....
I am running FC5 (with all the latest updates, kernel, etc.)
and I am using an EVGA Geforce 7300 GS Pci-express based
card. Without the nVidia driver, I can run glxgears and it
will run OK. With the recent nVidia driver (i.e. 1.0.8756) all
is OK if I stay clear from any openGL application. As soon
as I run an openGL application or glxgears, it will crash
within a minute or two.

Any suggestions? I have attached the bug report .log file

-tl_kj5xf
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report_part1.log (57.8 KB, 163 views)
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report_part2.log (47.0 KB, 142 views)
tl_kj5xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 09:11 AM   #2
djedge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8
Default Re: Crashes with openGL using Linux Display Driver - IA32 (1.0-8756)

Hi,

I have the same problem with Debian System ...

I have xorg 7.0 and composite desktop on. As Nvidia README.8756 says, we can execute other OpenGL application in theory. But I can't do that !

Maybe a good option have to be activated in xorg.conf ???

Thanks for answer
djedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 10:02 AM   #3
LinuxRocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 55
Default Re: Crashes with openGL using Linux Display Driver - IA32 (1.0-8756)

Just to chime in here about this...

I have this problem too, but it doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes, I can launch an OpenGL app or OpenGL screensaver, and it is good, other times, I launch the OpenGL app or screensaver and it will crash to the KDM login (KDE).

I just make sure I don't have anything important open and want to lock the screen or play a game...

Joe
LinuxRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 10:15 AM   #4
djedge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8
Default Re: Crashes with openGL using Linux Display Driver - IA32 (1.0-8756)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxRocks

I have this problem too, but it doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes, I can launch an OpenGL app or OpenGL screensaver, and it is good, other times, I launch the OpenGL app or screensaver and it will crash to the KDM login (KDE).

Joe
You are lucky ... for me it's always crash to KDM with or without composite desktop. I have tried on 2 differents PCs ... and it crash on all !

The only solution for me it's to downgrade to the previous driver version

If anybody have an other solution ???
djedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 10:23 AM   #5
LinuxRocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 55
Default Re: Crashes with openGL using Linux Display Driver - IA32 (1.0-8756)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djedge
You are lucky ... for me it's always crash to KDM with or without composite desktop. I have tried on 2 differents PCs ... and it crash on all !

The only solution for me it's to downgrade to the previous driver version

If anybody have an other solution ???

Yeah, this new driver has fixed and item or two, but broke 5 or 6; I am going to use the older driver until all the issues are resolved.

They are on the right track, but the driver needs to mature a bit...

Joe
LinuxRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 10:58 AM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,763
Default Re: Crashes with openGL using Linux Display Driver - IA32 (1.0-8756)

tl_kj5xf, I don't see anything unusual in the bug report that you posted. When you stated that "it" will crash, what are you referring to? Is X crashing or the entire OS, or just the OpenGL app?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 12:21 PM   #7
djedge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8
Default Re: Crashes with openGL using Linux Display Driver - IA32 (1.0-8756)

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama

When you stated that "it" will crash, what are you referring to? Is X crashing or the entire OS, or just the OpenGL app?
I think "it" = X ... for me X restart each i launch an OpenGL application !
djedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 12:29 PM   #8
tl_kj5xf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17
Default Re: Crashes with openGL using Linux Display Driver - IA32 (1.0-8756)

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
tl_kj5xf, I don't see anything unusual in the bug report that you posted. When you stated that "it" will crash, what are you referring to? Is X crashing or the entire OS, or just the OpenGL app?

Thanks,
Lonni

Lonni,
I have encountered 2 different events. The entire computer will lock up (i.e.
mouse freezes, can't type any text in a window which then needs a reboot) OR
the entire OS will crash and then the computer will reboot.

Interestingly, I just turned on my PC about 5 minutes ago, and after seeing the
Nvidia display briefly, the entire OS crashed bfeore I could even log in. That's the first time I have seen that happen.

Regards,
tl_kj5xf
tl_kj5xf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-06, 12:38 PM   #9
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,763
Default Re: Crashes with openGL using Linux Display Driver - IA32 (1.0-8756)

Please try booting with different combinations of the following kernel parameters and see if they make any difference:
noapic
acpi=off
pci=conf1

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 12:51 PM   #10
tl_kj5xf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17
Default Re: Crashes with openGL using Linux Display Driver - IA32 (1.0-8756)

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Please try booting with different combinations of the following kernel parameters and see if they make any difference:
noapic
acpi=off
pci=conf1

Thanks,
Lonni
Lonni,
Are those parameters added in the grup.conf? What's
the syntax on adding those parameters?

Regards,
tl_kj5xf
tl_kj5xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 12:58 PM   #11
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,763
Default Re: Crashes with openGL using Linux Display Driver - IA32 (1.0-8756)

Yes, you append them to the end of the 'kernel' line in grub.conf. Each parameter should be separated by a space, something like this:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.1831_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ noapic acpi=off

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 01:49 PM   #12
tl_kj5xf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17
Default Re: Crashes with openGL using Linux Display Driver - IA32 (1.0-8756)

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Yes, you append them to the end of the 'kernel' line in grub.conf. Each parameter should be separated by a space, something like this:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.1831_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ noapic acpi=off

Thanks,
Lonni
Lonni,
I will go ahead and try those parameters out asap.

Regards,
tl_kj5xf
tl_kj5xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NVIDIA R302.80 Beta Driver for Windows 8, New OpenGL Extensions News Archived News Items 0 06-15-12 10:30 AM
OpenGL apps crashing in NVIDIA driver when switching desktop dinosaur NVIDIA Linux 0 06-01-12 07:09 PM
Best Linux driver for Quadro FX2700M dclement NVIDIA Linux 0 05-07-12 06:58 AM
302.07 (beta) for Linux x86/x86_64 released AaronP NVIDIA Linux 0 05-02-12 09:55 AM
Glx mrbig1344 NVIDIA Linux 7 09-30-02 06:45 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.