Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-16-06, 08:44 AM   #1
brakjoller

Default tv-out almost working - tv does not handle signal

After reading a lot of posts here and searching on the net for a while I have finally started to understand how the xorg config file works. I can now choose "layout" from the command line when starting x, for example:

$ startx -- -layout tv

and

$ startx -- -layout monitor

Both works in the sense that I see the selected layout is selected and using the monitor works fine, but when I switch output to the tv I can see that the tv cannot handle the signal. If its synch problems or too high resolution I cannot say. Check out the attached log file (dumped with the -logverbose 6 argument to startx).

I have not completely understood how modelines work. Before I added the "Modes" argument in the screen/display section X did not even start, so I know I have to select something there, in my case I chose "640x480". In the log you can see that this mode is "auto-selected" because I did not define any of my own; when I tried adding my own modes (I added one called "640x480PAL" with settings I found somewhere in the net) it seemed to ignore that.

Anyway, I'd appreciate if someone could check the log and my config file and suggest changes to make my tv more happy (I can see that there is *something* sent to the tv from my computer, I can barely see icons flickering by, in black and white, and the screen is kind of "rolling" diagonally).

I should say also that before I bought a new gfx card I had tv out working through the "nvtv" tool and composite video signal, so I would think the tv should be able to handle it.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg_log_tv_out_almost_work.txt (25.3 KB, 137 views)
File Type: txt xorg_cfg.txt (3.1 KB, 147 views)
brakjoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-06, 01:49 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: tv-out almost working - tv does not handle signal

Have you tried any of these other modes for the TV?
1024x768 720x576 640x400 400x300 320x240 320x200

Additionally, please generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote