Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-17-06, 06:27 AM   #1
munsen

Default SLI trouble (random freezing)

I've been fighting with this for almost 2 days. I finally got SLI working and it does indeed work, but now I get random freezing in games, if I kill X with ctrl+alt+backspace, and while switching to VT's to the point where I just disabled it. I really want to get this working but I've run out of ideas. I've updated my BIOS, switched back to the 8178 driver (whole nother set of issues there). I've searched the web and I haven't found an issue just like mine with a solution. If anybody can take a look at my xorg.conf and nvidia bug report I would be extremely grateful.
Attached Files
File Type: zip xorg.conf.zip (762 Bytes, 135 views)
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (20.9 KB, 119 views)
munsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-06, 12:55 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: SLI trouble (random freezing)

I have a few questions:
0) Does this reproduce with an official kernel.org kernel as well?
1) The X configuration in your bug report, doesn't include SLI. Does this only reproduce with SLI enabled?
2) Does this reproduce if you disable the framebuffer console graphics (vesafb)?
3) The only bad thing that I'm seeing in your bug report is alot of temperature warnings back in November:
NVRM: Xid: 27, L2 -> L2 temp 109C
NVRM: Xid: 27, L2 -> L2 temp 110C
Are you certain that your system is receiving adequate cooling, and that the cooling fans on your videocards are working and not obstructed?
4) What kind of motherboard & BIOS version are you using?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-06, 04:46 PM   #3
munsen

0. It reproduces on all kernels I've tried. including a vanilla 2.6.15.1 kernel and the latest gentoo patched kernel

1. Also reporduces without the framebuffer. I didnt use it on the vanilla kernel.

2. I disabled SLI because of the crashes. I can re-enable it if you wish. Not a problem.

3. Back in November I upgraded my cooling and since then I've upgraded the whole box so that doesnt even apply now really. It's the same install though. That's why you see those warnings.

4. Asus P5ND2-SLI (not the deluxe version) bios 0501 (latest non beta)

Thanks
Old 04-17-06, 06:21 PM   #4
munsen

I should add that whatever this is, it hard locks my machine. I have no keyboard input, leading to a hard reset. if I reset the machine and "/etc/init.d/xdm start" with the option for SLI on in my xorg.conf, it just gives me a couple flickers and I get no signal to my monitor after. I get no keyboard input after this point either. If I hard reset and change the xorg.conf to drop the SLI option prior to starting xdm I have no problems getting back in. At this point I can drop to a VT re-edit xorg.conf, add the SLI option, restart xdm, and it comes up with SLI enabled, but at some point after it will hard lock again forcing me to hard reset and disable it to get back into X. I dont know if I can give you any more information than what I gave you already since it hard locks my machine and there is nothing in the log after.
Old 04-17-06, 07:49 PM   #5
munsen

One more thing to add. I reproduced the crash/lockup and I cannot ssh in at all either. so we can assume it takes the whole system down with it.
Old 04-18-06, 01:50 AM   #6
munsen

Ok, I've found something out. I put noapic on my kernel line and now I havent had a lockup yet. Maybe a BIOS issue? I can still reproduce it if I ctrl+alt+backspace which suggests that it's not just an apic issue, but disabling it helped more than hurt and I can deal with that for now.
Old 04-18-06, 10:46 AM   #7
munsen

I guess I spoke too soon. I went to sleep and when I woke up, Xscreensaver was running. when I moved the mouse to clear it it froze again :-/

On another note I guess Im on my own here.
Old 04-19-06, 06:27 PM   #8
munsen

Today I appended pci=conf1 to my kernel line in grub. and now it doesnt lock up if I switch to a VT or kill X via ctrl+alt+delete. I've done this about 10 times each to test this. Im gonna stress test it with some games then leave SLI on all night while I sleep so the screensaver has it's chance to bring it down. I hope this is it.