Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-17-06, 02:31 PM   #1
hagios17

Default bizarre X crash with latest FC 5 kernel and driver

I'm running the latest FC 5 kernel after updating from a fresh install and the latest nvidia driver rpm that was just released. I have this really weird problem where I open up eclipse, run some junit tests, and when the tests finish X will crash!(!!!!) I know the following after having tried a few things:

- I can do the same thing with a radeon card and there is no crash
- I can do the same thing with the nv driver and there is no crash
- The X process gets killed or something without anything being written to the log and no trace of why it got shut down

So it appears that it's something having to do with the nvidia driver but unfortunately I can't find any more info on why or where it's happening. I could really really use some help on this one if anyone has any ideas. Thanks.

The card is a chaintech PCI geforcefx 2500.
hagios17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-06, 03:39 PM   #2
hagios17

Unhappy Re: bizarre X crash with latest FC 5 kernel and driver

It seems I was able to get around the problem this way:
- Turned off hyperthreading in the bios
- Installed and booted with the latest non-smp kernel
- Installed the latest non-smp nvidia driver

But it would seem there is a bug in the smp driver perhaps.

EDIT:
I encountered the same problem about 30 minutes later when not using SMP.

In fact, I installed FC5 on a completely different machine (even a different vendor), installed everything, and still got the exact same problem as the first error. I'll attach my config and log. I'm running kernel 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5smp and driver "kmod-nvidia-smp.i686 1.0.8756-1.2.6.16_1.20". I could really use some help on this.
Attached Files
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (62.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (3.2 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by hagios17; 04-17-06 at 07:05 PM. Reason: problem not solved
Old 04-17-06, 08:07 PM   #3
hagios17

Default Re: bizarre X crash with latest FC 5 kernel and driver

I set

Option "RenderAccel" "false"

in my xorg.conf and the crash seems to not be happening any more. at least now I can get back to work. But especially since I'm running a desktop that is 3840x1024 I want to have acceleration on. Anyone know a way to fix this?
Old 05-23-06, 06:00 PM   #4
dannystaple

This is interesting. I am seeing something similar on SuSe 10.0. I have tried three different versions of the NVidia driver (upgraded to one I tried a while ago, reproduced it, upgraded to todays 8762 and still saw it).
If I load up a largish file, then scroll horizontally, then the screen will fill with garbage and then X will crash. All I get in the log is:
Code:
Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.X.Org
 for help.
I am running this on an AMD (no hyperthreading here), and no SMP Kernel - its
Linux 2.6.13-15.8-default from a SuSe RPM.

I have seen the crash once or twice with other applications, but I have been able to consistently get it using the Eclipse IDE. For now my workaround will be to use a different IDE (easier than not horiz scrolling).

It is maybe worth noting I can run games and GL based CAD apps with no trouble at all.

The card itself is an AGP Geforce 6600, made by PNY.

Danny

Last edited by dannystaple; 05-27-06 at 06:40 AM.
dannystaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 08:29 PM   #5
pipe13

Hmmm. You both should look for a script e.g. /usr/lib/xorg-nvidia-blah-blah-blah/nvidia-dbg.sh and run that as root. It will produce a file nvidia-bug.log that includes a *lot* more than just Xorg.0.log and xorg.conf. The moderators will need it to make an educated guess as to your problem.
pipe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-06, 02:56 PM   #6
dannystaple

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipe13
Hmmm. You both should look for a script e.g. /usr/lib/xorg-nvidia-blah-blah-blah/nvidia-dbg.sh and run that as root. It will produce a file nvidia-bug.log that includes a *lot* more than just Xorg.0.log and xorg.conf. The moderators will need it to make an educated guess as to your problem.
Thanks Pipe, I am more than happy to provide debug info. After trying the given path, and running locate, I couldnt find a nvidia-dbg.sh, but did find a nvidia-bug-report.sh. I am fairly sure that this is what you meant.

On my SuSe box (it shouldnt be different, I ran the NVidia installer) it was under /usr/bin.

I have attached the resulting log file (zipped as it was about 182k).

Enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.zip (28.0 KB, 131 views)
dannystaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-06, 12:45 PM   #7
jnorton

I am encountering the same problem with eclipse. I have tried replacing my video card with a different model nvidia card and it still has the same problem. My nvidia-bug-report.sh output is attached.

Has there been any progress with this?
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (25.9 KB, 124 views)
jnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-06, 01:39 PM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

dannystaple,
I have a few questions:
0) I looked at your bug report, however I don't see an X crash. Could you generate a new bug report after X has crashed, yet before starting X again?
1) Have you tried setting NvAGP to 0 in your xorg.conf?
2) Where did you obtain the version of Eclipse that you're using?
3) Does this only crash with a large file in Eclipse? If so, please attach a file which triggers the crash.

jnorton,
You stated that your'e hitting the same problem. Are your reproduction steps the same as dannystaple (loading a large file, and scrolling horizontally)? If not, can you please detail how you are triggering the crash?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote